Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

The Hobbit

Rea

I'm just glad they did Lord of the Rings first! I love the books, don't get me wrong, but if they can make the Hobbit into a three parter, what would the have done with the Rings next to top it!

Looking forward to it

I wondered how they could have made it into a 3 hour film too, but the stuff in it absolutely needs to be in it. I had one or two small niggles during the film but they went after I'd conferred with son but nothing that would put me off seeing it again and I cant wait till part two! :D

I haven't seen the film yet Helen, but personally I would re-read it, but then I always like to know the story if it's a book adaptation, so I can actually follow the action. I remember seeing Angels and Demons and thinking "well, if you haven't read the book you will not have a clue!"

Sue :D

I can't wait to see Cloud Atlas!

Edited by Sue R
to correct my spelling!

I havent read it for years either so was going to read it but ran out of time, I dont think it mattered that much except I found myself wondering about certain bits. It didnt detract from the film though. Oldest son is seeing it tonight in 3D, not sure I would have wanted to see it that way.

Really want to see it again now :D

Well regardless of the critics we shall be spending an afternoon over the Christmas holidays to go and see it.

The Hobbit was my first introduction to Tolkien and I was in yr6 at primary school. We had this wonderful teacher called Mrs Baker and at the end of the day we always had carpet story time and she read it. I will never forget the wonderful voices she used and her Gollum was brilliant....weird and creepy and we all used to shrink back from her a bit when she was in Gollum mode.

Amazing what a good story teller can do with a good story.....it has stayed with me all this time and yr 6 was a very long time ago for me now xD

• Like 1

The Hobbit was filmed in 48 frames per second (fps) instead of the usual 24fps. If you are going to see it for the first time you can check if your cinema can show the film in 48fps on the following website:

http://www.48fpsmovi...s-theater-list/

United Kingdom is at the bottom of the list.

Brighton cineworld is on there does that mean it will look good????

If you never have I wouldn't read it before you see the film.

I'm re-reading it now and its more different to the film than I'd realised. The film feeds into Lord of the Rings films, whereas the book doesn't.

I have tried to read LOTR but somehow I just couldn't get into it. I tried to read The Hobbit too. That wasn't a great success either. I think I lack the intellect. Or maybe the imagination. Or perhaps a bit of both.

I have tried to read LOTR but somehow I just couldn't get into it. I tried to read The Hobbit too. That wasn't a great success either. I think I lack the intellect. Or maybe the imagination. Or perhaps a bit of both.

:o

Philistine!

When LOTRs was published,the Times wrote 'There are two kinds of people in the world, those who have read lord of the Rings and those who are going to'.

LOTR is the better book and you could always cheat and ignore all the Elven speech.

These days I do that or I have been known to skip the chapters with Sam and Frodo in since seeing the films, I know it was an arduous task to carry the ring but I thought Frodo was a bit of a drip at times and I cant quite ignore the film version when I read the book :ph34r:

Edited by Rea

Orcs chased by elves...don't remember that in the book. Or Galadrial/Saruman appearing at all. I could do without 3 films - it would be just as good as one whole story I think. However I did enjoy it and I think it's been well produced.

Cx

Edited by catma

Maz,

I have known many folk, worthy and intelligent, who just didn't 'get' LOTR. We just agreed to rub along together (apart from ONE - who made my life as difficult as possible, but didn't win!). As someone else has said 'one man's meat'. I think the tone of The Hobbit is different to that of LOTR, but if you can't get on with them, that's fine. Even at my great age I STILL can't read Dickens (and I've tried, lord knows I've tried! Spot the quote??) and feel abashed but not desperate. Hands up if you're a PERN fan? See?

I can't really see the point of three films, but when I've seen it I might. As for 0rcs chased by Elves, Galadriel and Saruman - that's probably Peter Jackson just tying things up in a nice 'prequel' way. Heaven help us if he decides to tackle The Silmarillion!! :blink:

Sue