Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Maths Homework!

Ok, so maybe not homework per se, but maths activities that we can send home for families to do together...

Last term we started sending home story books with the children, they get to change them as and wehn they like, some children keeping them for 3 or 4 weeks at a time (but reading them with at home lots) others changing them every day, and we have had a "story of the week" which has really boosted our children's interest in stories, and increased parental interest & involvement. Now we would like to extend this to include maths ideas / activities. Lots of our parents are begining to ask about maths for school etc. While we don't want to start focusing on school, it would be lovely to capture this enthusiasm now, and build on it.

Does anyone have any suggestions or resources for something along the lines of a "challenge of the week" or simple to prepare resources? We were thinking of some kind of display board to go along with this, so children could bring in photos / pictures etc of what they have been doing...

Any ideas greatfully recieved!

Thanks,

Debs x

Do you need to design maths activities for them to take home? You could just give the parents ideas of activities they can do all the time.

For a start why not ask them to bring in photos of them helping parents by matching socks when they are putting the washing away?

Then you can get them to set the table for dinner, working out how many knives and forks they need or count potatoes are needed for dinner.

• Like 3

Thanks, that's the sort of thing I'm after...

I guess what we're hoping to do is get a bank of challenge cards or resources so children could choose one to take home and do, then bring it back and choose a different one next time... hopefully, if its the children choosing the challenge they might get a better reaction from parents when it comes to completing them at home!

Finding numbers inside and outside of their home environment. Counting how many spoonfuls etc. for ingredients when cooking with a parent. Perhaps when cleaning the windows how many squirts of the window cleaner then using big arm movements to clean the windows with. Cleaning the car, how many squirts of water (I allow our children at pre-school to use water sprayers to squirt onto my car). How many letters have arrived in the post today (less and less now the postage is so expensive! but with Christmas coming maybe a few cards each day). How many cans in the cupboard, are any the same, how many groups of 2/3 can we make.

• Like 2

Ohhhhh more great ideas to work on.....would be quite nice to put together a pamphlet or pages in prospectus that would gives parents ideas to support learning across all areas at home....nothing too taxing just through things that happen all the time.....pointing out shapes,letters,numbers on signs, counting stairs to bed, what will happen to the water when we pull the plug out....or might that be too patronising ?

Ohhhhh more great ideas to work on.....would be quite nice to put together a pamphlet or pages in prospectus that would gives parents ideas to support learning across all areas at home....nothing too taxing just through things that happen all the time.....pointing out shapes,letters,numbers on signs, counting stairs to bed, what will happen to the water when we pull the plug out....or might that be too patronising ?

Hi mouse - these 'leaflets' already exist :1b

Desperately trying to remember what they're called and where to get them from.........think I may have some on my main PC (I'm on lap-top at the mo) - I'll 'fire up' the 'old beast' later and see what I can find........ :1b

These are all available to download from the Early Education website - or used to be. You could also order them for the cost of postage. My parents used to find them very useful and helped them to think about their child's learning in broader terms than just what they might envisage would happen in school. It also helped them to see the importance of play based learning so not patronising at all.

Guest sn0wdr0p

A set of maths challenge cards can be found on the TES website. The cards have simple activities such as sorting cutlery, recognising letters/numbers on number plates, copying patterns they see at home etc. I have them at work but I think there about 50 of them.

A fun maths challenge we used to do over the Christmas holidays or a long bank holiday weekend was give the children each a treat size box of smarties and then challenge them to eat the smarties....the easy bit....and then see how many objects they could fill it with and there was a prize (home made certificate we printed off in the setting and laminated) for the person with the most things in it.

You have to give guidelines....one little chap just brought it back full of rice so although A grain of rice is ok they must all be different items. We then got them to bring them back and we made a big thing of opening them and counting how many things were inside....either as a whole group or just with a smaller group including the children whose boxes we were opening.

We had some brilliant things in them including one little girl who just put a little fairy and a scrap of cloth because the box was the right size for a fairy bed xD

• Like 3

I did some a few years back. What sort of thing were you looking for ?

Your 'math challenge' is just great (I have used and adapted your idea - hope you don't mind!)

I'm looking for similar challenges that children can do at home, but predominantly language based. :1b

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)