Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Update to CRB renewals by Birmingham City Council

Rea

The council have today sent a generic email which states:

NEF Terms and Conditions 2012 – 13

Please remember to sign and return your Provider Agreement Forms for the revised T&C’s – todate we have 80 forms outstanding which will mean a delay in payment.

We have received enquires about the introduction of revising CRB’s for employees every 3 years. This is a local decision and not a national policy. The guidance to LA's allows for additional quality criteria to be introduced. We are currently exploring the possibility of providing funding to childcare providers during this current financial year to cover the cost of implementing this condition. The on-going costs will need to built into your business plans for the future. The introduction of this condition will support settings and childminders to safeguard children and families. We would suggest you consider a rolling programme of renewals to minimise costs.

I'll forward this to Paul Oates at the DfE

My query's have not been answered. I asked:

Could you indicate which part of the guidance the council have used in order to make renewing CRBs every 3 years a condition of funding? Not answered

Is the renewing of CRBs every 3 years a quality measure or to standardise practice between all providers and childminders? Not answered

Could you send me a copy of the consultation which took place on renewing CRBs and what type of providers were invited to take part? Not answered

How is the council going to be supporting providers in carrying out the renewals when they cost around £60 each? Possible answer

I also quoted sections 4.15, 5.5, 5.7, 5.25, 6.12 from the Government Guidance to LAs

I just dont see how it will improve quality. We all know a CRB is a worthless piece of paper. The cost, if we have to carry it, will come from the funds which would by rights be spent on enhancing the provision for the children. Quality will surely drop if we have to pay.

This is absolutely due to BCCs own safeguarding practice being declared inadequate by Ofsted, I need them to understand that ours wasnt, in fact our recruitment was judged as good (2011), although we have since improved up on it.

Oh I could scream!!!!!

I did hear that from next year the CRBs will be portable so that you won't need one for every single job/voluntary position you have. Didn't think to ask if the three year thing would be enforced though. :(

I did hear that from next year the CRBs will be portable so that you won't need one for every single job/voluntary position you have. Didn't think to ask if the three year thing would be enforced though. :(

Well that makes sense.......(the bit about them being 'portable' I mean)......... :1b

Rea - it irks me that individual LAs can almost 're-write' the Statutory Requirements'.......... :(

'it irks me' - is that what I mean? It is irksome to me.......oh I don't know - sure you catch my drift anyway!

Edited by sunnyday

Yes Maz, the Home office have a leaflet telling us that early 2013 there will be a new CRB system and for a 'small fee'( ?) you will be able to register and just check current CRBs. http://www.homeoffic...les?view=Binary Still no mention of 3 yearly though.

It still doesnt stop me being mad at BCC just for their cheek at the way they've gone about it all!!

Edited by Rea

Well that makes sense.......(the bit about them being 'portable' I mean)......... :1b

Rea - it irks me that individual LAs can almost 're-write' the Statutory Requirements'.......... :(

'it irks me' - is that what I mean? It is irksome to me.......oh I don't know - sure you catch my drift anyway!

I know what you mean sunnyday, I've been irked too :D

• Like 1

It's all very well for them to make things up like this and yes plough ahead willy nilly and even say we the LA will pay for them but my goodness as a council tax payer I would be asking them Why are they wasting my money like this?

I find the whole thing ridiculous. Keep on at them to answer your questions. They very valid

• Like 1

Is it council tax money though? It might be ring fenced early years money which could be better spent employing an early years advisor who perhaps might have a better stab at driving up quality. The people you crb are going to be the people who are there anyway, nothing will change just because they get a new piece of paper.

Well if it's EY's money then that is even worse- as you say it is could be & jolly well should be spent on improving EY's. Not wasted on getting information that you already have & isn't worth the paper it's written on anyway!!

..................and if it is EY's money that has been ringfenced, it's still mine as it would have then come from central government funds and we all know where they get their money from.......................

• Like 2