Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Protocol for Mr Bump and other 'cooling soothers'

Hi!

My setting has several of these Mr Bump Soothing coolers - the type you keep in the fridge - for children to use. Some in FS, some in KS1 and KS2

What we don't have is a protocol or procedure for cleaning them after use. I'm not sure actually that they always get cleaned but are put back in the fridge along with the milk and staff lunches! Not very hygienic I'm sure.

I was just wondering what methods other settings use to clean them after use and if anyone has a protocol they would be kind enough to share.

Thanks

we wrap ours in a clean paper handtowel to use and then throw that away afterwards and then it is stored in a lunchbox type container in the fridge

Edited by max321

I don't knw what Mr Bumps actually are but am presuming they are cold packs/ gel packs for head bumps etc?

We keep ours in the fridge too but when they are given to the child they are in a small plastic bag, like a sandwich bag. If they are in need of a cold pack then they will have a first aider with them and not left alone with a plastic bag!

The use of wet paper towels for any sort of bump particularly an open wound was frowned upon when I last did my first aid training as the fibres can get into the wound. We don't use them at all now.

We were also told to put the gel packs in a separate part of the fridge so we use the salad drawer for ours!

blimey another thing to think about :( used them for years ...they get sprayed with antibac/cleaned dried and returned to fridge...just thinking about whether i need to put them in a container now? mind you all our food is covered so perhaps that's enough? <_< (we've always called tham Mr bumps too though they are now proper hot/cool packs)

I introduced these when I started as staff previously used wet gauze which is not effective for a bump or bang. We had 2 but now down to one as one leaked!! we spray with anticbac and rinse then place in a green sealable bag ( from ikea) in door of fridge.

reminded me to buy new one !!

Edited by lashes2508

We have them, but not actually used them as I didn't think it was cold enough! When we had a child with bite marks on her leg, the best thing we found was a cold, full, plastic milk bottle. It could be jiggled to re-cool and was great! We told her it was magic milk, and boy, it really did do the job!

So they can sit there in the door compartment for me, and stay there!

• Like 1

Thanks for all your replies.

As above - they are more for comfort than anything else. Never very cold and always called Mr Bump, even the Peppa Pig ones!

I looked Mr Bump up on the web - the manufacturers instructions say 'Store your soother hygienically in the fridge. After use wash in warm soapy water and dry well. Check the product is clean before each use.'

But Little Miss Helpful has the instructions 'To clean: After use always wash in warm soapy water and dry thoroughly. Replace in zip-lock bag. Check that the product is clean before each use.'

The food in the fridge is all wrapped. But I just think they need a little bit more 'separation' from potential spread of bacteria. Hmm.

also by keeping ours in a green bag they are easy to grab as very visible and also saves them getting lost ! warm soapy water is prob best as we should not be using antibac soap with the kids i know we dont anymore due to advice from professional friends but use anti bac spray for tables etc and this as it is quick and easy -

Edited by lashes2508

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)