Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

We had to evacuate for real today!

During the session this morning, the playroom suddenly filled up with an electrical burning smell. We evacuated straight away into the schools hall. (Thank goodness for the fire drills we have done this term) I called the schools health and safety bod to come back into the room and smell and we decided after turning off anything electrical to call the fire brigade (non urgent number) Ten minutes later we had our village engine, another engine from another village and a fast responder all turn up!!! Nine burly fire fighters in the playroom and I think they were more trouble than the children!!

Eventually it was traced to a strip light with a faulty compresser (dated 1979) Anyway all is now safe and well and at the AGM tomorrow I shall be insisitng on all new lighting ASAP.

It was all quite worrying and exciting at the same time. I am just so glad we have done those fire drills with all the children especially the new ones since we have been back. Makes you remember that we do do them for a purpose and not just something else to be ticked off on a list. So please if you havent done one for a while, please do. :1b

• Like 4

I love the idea of the firemen. What is it with those guys??? :ph34r: :rolleyes:

Glad everything went according to plan, we delegate the task to someone each time and never know when its going to be. The children are always fab, once did it with parents there and the time more than doubled while they ignored us and tried to gather bags and coats. :angry:

• Like 1

we had our first of the term last Friday - several new ones, so had to have the chat first! They were all very good I must say, just need to catch up with the ones who weren't in last week, so prob Thursday - but we have to vacate outside the building so sorry to say weather dependent for us as they do go out "as you are" - .

Would love some burly firemen to help tho - :rolleyes: :rolleyes: ;):o

• Like 1

drooling just thinking about those men in uniform, how did you get the compresser to fail???????

seriously we do one every half term and staff always grumble about having to stop what they're doing to do it, just shows how important they are

I know where you are all coming from with the firemen thoughts :wub: .....trouble is I live in a very small community with retained firefighters, most of whom I know!!! :angry: (we are very lucky to have the service in our village as nearest town is 11 miles away) Glad to hear some of you are going to do your drills..well done give yourselves a sticker. As for making the compresser fail, not sure how on that one!!! Funny thing is twenty minutes before this happened I had taken a book out of the school library titled Call 999 emergency!!! :D

• Like 1

WOW! oh sorry that was me thinking about 9 fireman :rolleyes: xD :lol: xD

So glad that you are all OK and thanks for the reminder (Shhh I haven't held a fire drill yet this term :ph34r: ) - will carry out fire drill tomorrow! :1b

And that was just the ones that came into pre-school, there was another engine full of more firemen still in the car park. :P;)

• Like 1

Guest sn0wdr0p

Gosh, what a coincidence we did ours this morning. One of our little ones was so excited because he thought a fire engine would come. I felt a little guilty ay disappointing him. Bless.

Gosh, what a coincidence we did ours this morning. One of our little ones was so excited because he thought a fire engine would come. I felt a little guilty ay disappointing him. Bless.

Yes we have had that before. At the beginning of the year we have a nice discussion on the mat before we "walk" them all through the routine for the first time. The older ones get their chance to show how much they know about fire, and the fire drill itself, we talk about it only being pretend nothing to worry about, not really ringing the fire brigade etc. but some poor soul often expects them to turn up and I feel terribly guilty that they wont.

We are actually due to visit the fire station within the next couple of weeks and borrow the resource box. I am very surprised that after everything was sorted that only two of our children would sit or go anywhere near the engines!!! I am guessing that when we visit the station they will feel more confident, as it must have been a bit strange for them yesterday.

Some while back we had the Fire Brigade come visit us. The children were awe struck. One of the dad's was Chief Fire Officer and gave them a lovely chat before we went out to the fire engine. His voice was very deep and that unsettled one or two. On a previous occasion the firefighters were very enthusiastic and had put the pump on almost straight away, now that is noisy and that upset a few and they wouldn't go near the engine.

I would suggest if we were lucky enough to do it again to talk the visit through with a fire officer first and explain you would like the children to get used to the engine first, sit in it etc. put on their hats "drive" it all the things you want them to do and then at the end, could they switch the pump on and help any children who wanted to have a go with the hose to do it then. We have some great photos from years ago when my now 20 year old was 4 holding the hose with one of those nice burly fireman helping him.

Edited by Panders

:o Guess who forgot to hold a fire drill this morning :blink: oh well tomorrow it is then! :1b

:angry: :angry: Very naughty, I hope you are very ashamed!! :angry: :angry:

Our blooming smoke alarm kept going off today for no reason, making me a bit paranoid so I put new batteries in and it solved the problem. Really could not face all the firemen again!!!

• Like 1

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)