Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Early Years Students

I just wondered what other people's experience was of childcare students on placement. We seem to have one student after another who isn't prepared to put in the work. Some barely interact with the children, some are so shy they cannot hold a conversation with adults, even to ask for help or discuss their work. We have a student handbook, we explain what is expected of them and give them a placement mentor. Despite this, many students tell us they don't have to do any observations of target children, don't have to plan or carry out any activities. We know this is not true and have spoken to their tutors but nothing ever improves. We have students from three different colleges.

What has really prompted me to post is that last week, I had to tell a second year level 3 student that she could no longer come to my setting on placement because she used threatening behaviour towards an 18 month old, totally unprovoked and which also put in question the practice of an experienced and committed member of my staff. It was an absolutely outrageous thing that she said and when asked "WHAT did you just say?" she simply repeated it, totally unaware that it was so inappropriate.

It worries me that the future workforce could be acting this way, but I'm thinking about refusing to have any more students.

What do you think?

Beehive

Your not alone Beehive. All you can do is hold to your standards and challenge the students to measure up to them. If you don't sign off on their competences they cannot pass. I would seriously take this up with the senior course tutors and simply fail those that don't meet the standard. Find a college that has their own high expectations and only work with them. Level 3 qualifications are due for an overhaul following the Nutbrown review. It would be a shame to no longer train - we have gone down the apprenticeship route because of similar issues.

That doesn't sound good, thankfully not had any incidents like that, and have to say one of my most capable members of staff started out as a student with us, but most don't seem to have a clue or any work ethic..and try giving them any constructive critism, my last one only lasted 3 weeks, preferred sitting than doing or interacting with children....had a couple of chats about looking for things that needed doing or getting involved with activities..... then had the cheek to tell me she couldn't possibly work where she wasn't allowed to use her own initiative .....if only :/

I agree androyd...you have to wonder what they actually learn at college....our last nvq3 student had nothing signed off in her witness testimony by us, never even gave it to me, I kept asking, then asked college tutor who told me it wasn't necessary as everything had been covered in her assessments and all 2 of her student observations.....yeah right !

Crumbs thats dreadful. Well I think I might consider not having them too. Have to say the last couple have been fantastic, but we did have one that seemed to have little interest in the children or being in placement at all. Have to say she didn't finish the course.

I agree androyd...you have to wonder what they actually learn at college....our last nvq3 student had nothing signed off in her witness testimony by us, never even gave it to me, I kept asking,

then asked college tutor who told me it wasn't

necessary as everything had been covered in

her assessments and all 2 of her student

observations.....yeah right !

That Happened to us to!!

• Like 1

Guest sn0wdr0p

We had one from the local college who told one of my younger staff members that she did not like working with children and that she wanted to work with the elderly! I told the college I was not prepared to waste my time and had her removed.

I had had two apprentices in the past and one due to finish this month who have all been super. kept my first apprentice on some years ago and now she is my deputy and just starting her level 5 and my current apprentice will also be kept on when she completes.

I find some college students have not even heard of the EYFS-my apprentices learn very quickly on the job. The only criticism I have of the apprenticship route is lack of knowledge of how different setting work, something that was also recognised in the Nutbrown review.

Yes, us too! We had one last summer who just didn't do anything at all. When her tutor came to see her on placement, we took it up with her and she just said she could cover it with coursework and that we needed to support her more and boost her self esteem...GRRRR!

Having been a lecturer on childcare course in a previous, life the students back then were there because childcare was really what they wanted to do - and places were at a premium, so they were the best - now there are so many ways to get into childcare with the range of qualifications, and apprenticeships too, that colleges often just need to get their 'quota' for the funding , so maybe are less picky than may have been previously. We have 5 colleges in our area in the past I have offered placements to students from all of them - but after quite a few very poor students , I will now only take from one college who I know will support me if there are issues, and seem to have the best overall candidates.

We had one who just used to stare at the clock all day waiting for home-time. She actually recently applied for a job in our setting - needless to say she did not get an interview.....

I had a few issues with a couple of students from our local college and the following year, when asked if I'd like to take some more students, I said I'd be delighted but that I would like to interview some and pick one who was best suited to my setting. I talked about high expectations and our very discerning families etc, and the reply I got was "Well I don't think we have anyone that you'd find suitable then!" I had no more students from that college..... :o

oh my word i'm a bit shocked! i've been taking students for years ..we take all sorts from one weeks work experience to a full year. I currently have 6 boys from a local school, one btec student and a psycotherapy student! I have had a few issue in the past but all ones that coud be sorted...never anything like this. Perhaps i've just been lucky :huh: :mellow:

A couple of years ago I had girl on her 'work placement' from school and she was an absolute liability! The following year she had moved on to college and wanted to come and do some more with us :o I was obviously really reluctant but felt as she lives in our village that I really had to take her - she had moved on and matured sooooooo much and she was fantastic - we really missed her when her time was up with us!

Have to admit though that I have 'refused' one this year - I simply don't feel 'up to' mentoring anyone right now - I do feel a bit mean though :(

I often feel many childcare students are 'directed' into childcare- not because they are interested in children........but more so that when/if they become parents themselves (which may be at a young age) at least they'll have some idea of what to do.

Also it helps them to realise children are not an easy option if you make 'parenting' your career choice in order to have housing/benefits.

A bit negative I know :( :( x

We have had mixed experience, some of the students are fantastic and I wish I could have given them a job but one last term was a nightmare, took nearly every Tuesday off sick and whenever I spoke to the college they just said her paperwork is excellent!! - 2 weeks before the end of term they did say we can move her if you like - my reply was similar to 'there's not a lot of point now'!! It is a shame but our experience is the younger students seem to think it is an easy job - the maturer students are fantastic.

Guest pamgreen

There is one problem being not very good on placement, but for a student to show threatening behaviour to an 18 month old that is a totally different situation. She should be reported to her college and be banned from working with children, harsh I know but she sounds totally unsuitable.

I'm sure you're right! I seem to remember being told that a careers advisor was horrified when a friend's daughter said she was interested in Childcare as a career, her comment was something along the lines of "Oh, no, dear! You're far too bright for that!!" :wacko:

For all the terrible ones though we have had equal amount of great ones. We have just taken our last NVQ 3 student on permanently so it is still sometimes useful to take students!

For all the terrible ones though we have had equal amount of great ones. We have just taken our last NVQ 3 student on permanently so it is still sometimes useful to take students!

Oh I completely agree - I certainly will take students again sometime in the future :1b

I'm sure you're right! I seem to remember being told that a careers advisor was horrified when a friend's daughter said she was interested in Childcare as a career, her comment was something along the lines of "Oh, no, dear! You're far too bright for that!!" :wacko:

:o Charming :blink: xD