Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Why Do You Need A Deputy (It Is A Requirement I Know!)

What does a deputy do - I manage a setting I am there everyday on the nursery floor, I believe all members of the team can hold the fort if I am not there. So why do I have named deputy. Why spoil the dinamics of the team.

Can some one tell me what does a deputy do?

You have to have a named deputy who in your absence could take control of the whole day-to-day operations of the business. If there isn't a deputy who would take the lead role. What type of setting are you in?

Hi - my deputy is (I hope - have not really ever put this to the test - touching wood now) capable of taking over from me if necessary - she knows all of the 'systems' inside out and I trust her completely to keep the children safe, to talk to parents sensitively - and a whole heap more.......she is my right hand woman without a doubt :1b

• Like 1

As Sunnyday says someone who can take over completely at a drop of a hat for any length of time, not just a day or two but weeks or months if needed.. no one knows if something unforeseen will happen to prevent the manager working for a period of time. There should be someone there who could take he decisions and responsiblity to cover these potential periods..

I used to manage a setting and became ill that took me out of the setting for 3 months.. nothing I could do about it.. but I could recover better knowing that the setting was being well looked after and did not have to concern myself at all about it during that time.. yes they called for some info occasionally, but the deputy knew where all was and coped very well during my absence..

as to what role they have.. mine used to have added responsibility , was the Senco, and she did the planning , it was her strength and enjoyed the role...someone else may have had different things to do for the setting, but in our case they did do more in the management and paperwork side of the setting..

My deputy is capable of running things (indeed she frequently does) not only on a day to day basis but if I was to go off for a while she could manage. None of my other staff know where everything is or what/why things are done as they are. She is also a great person to have around as a sounding board!!

apart from all the things above ...i feel it is virtually impossible for there to not be someone in charge. Someone needs to make decisions and ensure that everyone is doing their best although all your staff may be capeable you could create a blame culture, also when you don't have someone in the managers position then you may fall into difficulties if their is a problem...who will call the ambulance/evacuate the building etc etc...i know all your staff are probably capeable (as are mine) but someone needs to do it and if they know they are in charge then they will take control

Thank you for your support in this matter.

It is difficult - I have posted the post of deputy to the staff team - however 2 people have applied and another who is upset the post was not offered to her. I know all my staff are capable to taking control however as someone mentioned above who will take the lead.

Does anyone have a job description for a deputy please

Thank you for your support in this matter.

It is difficult - I have posted the post of deputy to the staff team - however 2 people have applied and another who is upset the post was not offered to her. I know all my staff are capable to taking control however as someone mentioned above who will take the lead.

Does anyone have a job description for a deputy please

Job description.. there is an old one in the resources section I put there a while ago.. may give a few pointers.