Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

A Quick Question

If a child manages to leave the pre-school building during a busy collection time and is found and brought back in by another parent is the pre-school obliged to inform Ofsted?

They have documented the event and since changed their procedures to prevent this from happening again.

To my knowledge nobody has made a complaint about the incident.

My understanding is that they should have the paperwork available to show Ofsted if requested at their next visit. Am I right?

This happened to us a couple of years ago - and Ofsted where completely uninterested and didn't made a record of it! It apparently did not count as an incident because the child did not leave the grounds (ie. premises) although they had left the building - and in our case the Supervisor had actually given the child permission to leave because she mistakenly thought that his carer was in the playground.

However, we recorded the conversation with Ofsted and reported everything to the child's parents, as well as all the other parents. We felt that although we didn't have to do anything, it was important to recognise that a 'failure' had taken place, we are all aware of it, take it serously, and will ensure that it doesn't happen again.

Maybe it was because of how we handled it, what changes we made, how well be kepy child's parents involved, etc. that they did not feel it necessary to 'complain' to Ofsted, when I think they would have had to investigate.

An awful time, but we still got outstanding at our next inspection!

Hope similar happens for your setting :1b

I think you're right. There might not be a complaint now but that might change when the parent gets time to think about the implications and then Ofsted might want to know why they werent informed. A quick phone call should cover it and then its up to them if they want to check things out.

OK. So there isn't a requirement to inform Ofsted but some people might let them know anyway then.

It isn't my setting but someone is criticising a pre-school saying they are not meeting requirements by not informing Ofsted of this incident.

I thought I had missed something but perhaps I hadn't.

Thanks

Upsy there is a document 'When to inform Ofsted' - haven't got a copy here - sorry - it's at work - can you see if you can get it from their site.......that should give you a definitive answer

Why didn't I think of that?

In fact why have I not got one of those?

I will have a look now.

The requirements to inform OFSTED are worded as 'significant event' (except where it is serious injury accident or death), and as such I would define a child being allowed to leave unsupervised as 'significant'. (consider the what ifs if the child had not been spotted by a parent for example). I am aware of this happening from time to time and each time the setting has informed OFSTED and they have made an unannounced visit (usually to check the security and how the setting has dealt with it to ensure it cant happen again). We would always advise the setting inform OFSTED, but this setting could call their Early Years team and ask for their view on it.

Id always take the default view that if in doubt, inform. (and document).

Id always take the default view that if in doubt, inform. (and document).

I'd agree - but following my post above I should have put that I made a 'no-names' call to Ofsted and asked - they said they didn't need to be notified - but I could then record it in my records!

I so wish I had a paper copy of it. It would be so much easier to scan through it!

My colleague has 'acquired' mine so it isn't to hand. Have you got the pdf? You could just do a word search for 'significant'! :D