Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Washing Aprons

Hi, just wondering whether you think I can put my painting aprons in the washing machine. They are a thin plastic type blue material, tabard style with a sewn white edging. I only got them last year so don't really want to have to use the budget to replace them!!

I am not a domestic goddess.....what cycle should I use? :ph34r:

Thanks

Lucie

I do mine in the machine, but with no washing powder or softener as they lose waterproofing if you do

Edit to add, on the shortest cycle you have

Edited by Cait

ours need replacing - where does everyone recommend? Have seen so many but it's hard to judge quality from catalogues and with delivery charges it's not cheap to buy 1 or 2 to try

We have Galt/Hope waterproof, thin, long elastic sleeves, fasten at the back...but the last set had pockets on the front - big no-no for water play - or painting for that matter hilarious! Lasted for years though!

Washed as above - no powder, cold short cycle but it's hit and miss if we remember so they have been powdered and de-waterproofed over time - and the waterproof clothes for that matter - they now get waggled up and down in a bucket of cold water now (minus the child inside of them!) - to be fair it's only minutes before they are freshly worn and swimming back in the mud so not precious about being 'sparkling clean'

The tabard ones I have washed on a n extra rinse cycle with no powder. They don't come out like new but at least I am assured that what is still there is totally ingrained! We replaced our painting aprons (tabards) with ones from IKEA whihc sound a little like gingerbreadman's. They aren't useful for water play but they were easier for our smaller children to move about in and they washed better as they could go in a wash cycle with detergent. They are a kind of nylon with long sleeves that have two velcro tabs to make them shorter, and they cost about £1 each.

we have thick plastic tabard ones for painting that can be washed with detergent but are horrible but being as i found some news ones of these at back of cupboard dont feel i can replace them yet! we have other long sleeved plastic ones the children can barelly move in for water play or they can just get wet and change clothes

Just to update, I washed on an eco cycle, so no hot water and only 30mins. I put a little bit of liquid in the draw, not as much as I would normally use for a wash. The paint has come off the blue, but not the white edging. It has left a kind of 'stained' look where the paint was but they look loads better. Maybe next time I'll attempt a 'proper' wash.

Ours are much thinner than a water play apron (I think we got them from ESPO and I think they were about a tenner for 10)- we have different ones for this - but actually they don't keep the children dry at all, because when they use water on the floor (in tuff spot e.g.) the bottom of the apron just lays in the water!!!

I put anything and everything in the washing machine..........................which is probably why mine is not working at min or that could be to do with the 10 hair grips (my daughters) and 1 under wire from ??? someones bra!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)