Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

101 Uses For A Matchbox?!

Froglet

Time for a little trivia?

One of my summer projects has been a major sorting out of my dining room which is my work room/dumping ground and rarely gets eaten in. It's almost a thing of beauty.

In the course of my sorting I have discovered a little collection of empty matchboxes. Clearly I was saving them for a very important reason but it's not as obvious to me as the reason for saving toilet roll tubes or teabag boxes. So, your challenge...help me come up with 101 uses for a matchbox. My family once did this for a white carrier bag - whiled away a very dull car journey!

favour boxes for a party

an early start to making an advent calendar

popping necklaces inside and then in to the jewellery box - grrr when my necklaces get tangled up!

spare button holders

memory card and USB storage

empire state building model - watched a programme last night on how it was made - no health & safety in sight!

oooh this is way better than doing the SEF!!! I thank you!

Edited by gingerbreadman

send me one over , i can put my brain in it for safe keeping - theres not much left of it now !! :rolleyes:

You and me both and with Sunnyday's reply there's clearly a market for this option - I could decorate them and everything!

Oh that's a cunning plan! :1b A plan so cunning you could pin a tail on it and call it a fox! xD

Methinks I hear Baldrick on the loose!

popping necklaces inside and then in to the jewellery box - grrr when my necklaces get tangled up!

oooh this is way better than doing the SEF!!! I thank you!

I have little bags for some of my necklaces but matchboxes would work for the rest. As for the SEF... you're welcome! ;)

87 to go...

Edited by HelenD26
  • Like 1

Had a rethink...

If you can get enough... you could use them to build a dividing wall in your dinning room to hide all the paperwork!!!

I saw a programme where a man built a wall out of video tapes, and another built a shed and used the outer boxes to make the roof.

xxx

• Like 2

Had a rethink...

If you can get enough... you could use them to build a dividing wall in your dinning room to hide all the paperwork!!!

I saw a programme where a man built a wall out of video tapes, and another built a shed and used the outer boxes to make the roof.

xxx

some people have way too much time on their hands!! Obviously don't work in early years! :rolleyes:

some people have way too much time on their hands!! Obviously don't work in early years! :rolleyes:

I don't know... sounds like a pretty cool construction project for my children - we're always in need of more storage space - why not build our own!

• Like 1

Use to keep a beetle in, like in the story Billy's Beetle or for making boxes of love that the children take home at mother's day, xmas etc. There is a poem to go with the box that you wrap in wrapping paper but i can't remember how it goes. I'm sure someone will have it on their hard drive.

• Like 1

I just happen to have my box here!

This is a very special gift

That you can never see,

The reason it's so special

It's just to you from me

You never can unwrap it

Please leave the ribbon tied,

Just hold this box close to your heart

It's filled with love inside

Whenever you are lonely

Or even feeling blue,

You only have to hold this gift

To know I think of you.

• Like 3

Helen - would my balaclava fit into a matchbox :blink: oh no I suppose not.........

:o You have finished it haven't you - wedding is this Saturday :ph34r:xD :lol: xD

Surely that depends on how big your head is?!

Yes, it's finished apart from the sparkly purple fluffy pipe cleaners I found (thought they'd match your shoes). I'm going to sew them on in concentric circles so it has a sort of sea anemone effect - is that ok? Will be in the post this evening (not in a matchbox though!)

Surely that depends on how big your head is?!

Yes, it's finished apart from the sparkly purple fluffy pipe cleaners I found (thought they'd match your shoes). I'm going to sew them on in concentric circles so it has a sort of sea anemone effect - is that ok? Will be in the post this evening (not in a matchbox though!)

WOW! Sounds just perfect to me - thanks - I will look a treat in the photos! xD

I just happen to have my box here!

This is a very special gift

That you can never see,

The reason it's so special

It's just to you from me

You never can unwrap it

Please leave the ribbon tied,

Just hold this box close to your heart

It's filled with love inside

Whenever you are lonely

Or even feeling blue,

You only have to hold this gift

To know I think of you.

I once bought one of these little boxes for ex husband - fiance at the time - he did not take time to read the words but instead tried desperately to undo it - i was alittle upset and he was a little redfaced :o :rolleyes: :wub: