Its good that I can sit all day and read and read and read

Con's

Its bad that I dont have to wait for the library to open

Its bad that I dont have to wait to go shopping

Its bad that I can sit all day and read and read and read

I'm actually kind of hooked!

Edited by Rea
  • Like 1

Love it Rea, my husband laughs when I get withdrawal symptoms when I'm not within sight of mine, i pick it and dip into a story all the time much more than I ever did with a paper book

Pro's:

Its good that I dont have to wait for the library to open

Its good that I dont have to wait to go shopping

Its good that I can sit all day and read and read and read

Con's

Its bad that I dont have to wait for the library to open

Its bad that I dont have to wait to go shopping

Its bad that I can sit all day and read and read and read

I'm actually kind of hooked!

Love it! xD

Bit concerned that I seem to be the only person without a kindle :blink:

Sunnyday don't worry - I don't have one either! I am on my 8th book of the holidays so far though (7 out of the 8 borrowed from m headteacher)! Looking at the piles of books around my place I'm wondering if maybe I should request a kindle for my next birthday though!

Sunnyday don't worry - I don't have one either! I am on my 8th book of the holidays so far though (7 out of the 8 borrowed from m headteacher)! Looking at the piles of books around my place I'm wondering if maybe I should request a kindle for my next birthday though!

Phew!!! xD

Oh and I'm only on my fourth book of the holiday - lagging behind!!! :blink: xD

Sunnyday, I only got mine because I happened to say to someone I was 'thinking about looking at them' and suddenly he's selling me his wife's that had been out of the box once.

I was sceptical but now I love it, rather too much really, I feel ever so guilty when hubby comes home from work shattered :ph34r:

• Like 1

Pro - you can read anything, anywhere and no one knows what you're reading....

Con - everyone (and there wife) assume you must be reading 'that book'!!!!

I have found since having the kindle I read a much wider range of books than I ever did before (due to all the freebies/20p books)

xxx

Pros to the kindle...

Its lighter on the wrists

no one knows what your reading (those books and others included!)

most books are cheaper because i download lots of free and 20p books

I'm back into all the classics again (hated Middlemarch in school wanted to read the Handmaids Tale...love it now)

I read more it comes everywhere

I can pack more clothes and shoes as I wont be taking a dozen books in my case and 3 in my hand luggage!

Cons

My husband says I do nothing only read n school crap (his words not mine)

I cant hide my book purchases in the shopping bill from Asda

I love it !

Just to figure out how to 'share' books with my mum now as she's downloaded lots. I'm sure there's a way just takes some figuring out bit like itunes really!

Happy reading everyone

Just to figure out how to 'share' books with my mum now as she's downloaded lots. I'm sure there's a way just takes some figuring out bit like itunes really!

Happy reading everyone

Myself, daughter and mum are all linked to same account so can automatically share books.

Your 'lighter on wrists' comment is a good point - and the very reason my elderly mum loves hers so much. Until she got her kindle she had almost given up reading as she has terrible wrist problems.............. she's now the main downloader on our joint account :o.

Love mine and they are fab for holidays to save space but after reading a couple of books on mine I do hanker after an actual book (I miss the smell!) I havn't yet worked out how to share books with friends yet if that's possible and that is a definite disadvantage.

Deb

• 2 weeks later...

They are great until the screen breaks on you. Dads kindle screen broke on hoilday 53 weeks after we got it. A well known electrical shop will not do anything just about it, so off we go to trading standards. My one is fine, so no idea why the other broke and they are both well looked after!

I try to alternate. (spend time touching and smelling the books in tescos like some kinda a nutter- but have seen others do it too!!!) :o:P :P

Now however going back to narnias other point, I have found myself downloading 'text books' as I call them- work/study related- but only a few and I love the fact I can dip in and out wherever I am, be it stuck in the drs or hairdressers etc if I'm mulling over a work idea in my head. (OK- maybe I should get a life and 'switch off' from work occasionally ;) )

xx

• Like 1

nope, not for me.......give me a REAL book to handle and smell............and crease and feel and dip back into time and time again. Real paper in all its glory.......... :huh:

If I can get excited about CP, I'm sure you could give a kindle a go!

ah, Max my dear...................................there's a world of difference...........think about how all the lovely stuff from CP smelled when you opened the boxes...................how it felt..........how it looked.............yes?? Now,think about how it looked in the catalogue.........nice..................very good even, but NOT the same?? that's where I am with books..........even 'text books'........ :blink: ;)

I have to say narnia that while I do love the kindle, I miss the feel of the book. I'd like a kindle cover that was kind of like a book, something the kindle could sit inside but with a few pages I could flick while I was reading. I might invent one!

Can you download PDFs on to the kindle and annotate them? With lots of reading for work this summer the moment I discovered I could download them on the iPad was a lovely one - lots easier and tidier than having bits of paper all over the place. Highlighting isn't so straightforward though. I'm thinking ahead to a time when I won't have the use of a school iPad.

Can you download PDFs on to the kindle and annotate them? With lots of reading for work this summer the moment I discovered I could download them on the iPad was a lovely one - lots easier and tidier than having bits of paper all over the place. Highlighting isn't so straightforward though. I'm thinking ahead to a time when I won't have the use of a school iPad.

I believe you can- but unless you've got a real fancy shmancy one I wouldn't think it would be quick or easy. I have the keyboard kindle and have used it to send emails - but it was a real pain in the butt!! Xx

I just like mine for bedtime. I can lie on my side and turn pages with one hand. I can carry on reading with its little light after the light is out and there's no rustling of pages or whatever to disturb Zebedee. I can make the font size a bit bigger if my glasses are uncomfortable lying on my side for a long time.

I am not yet converted to a kindle - but am getting more tempted. My main concern is for the bookshops - how will they survive. Having coffee in a bookshop and a long browse is one of the joys of life. xxxxxxx

This is my only problem too. I do still try and buy from my local bookshop though (and NEVER from supermarkets- they are there for looking/smelling/touching only!!)

I had to laugh though- I went into my local, and she said 'actually I think you can get it on Amazon'- and then proceeded to order it for me from them. Do independent shop get discount on amazon? (like some kind of cash back type thing?)

I have been thinking of getting oneof these but couldn't decide between the kindle and the kobo,i wondered what others thought????????

Dont know anything about the Kobo in terms of where do you get the books etc from, so I would look into that aspect of the 2 and decide from there. Kindle and Amazon are quick and reliable!

ah, Max my dear...................................there's a world of difference...........think about how all the lovely stuff from CP smelled when you opened the boxes...................how it felt..........how it looked.............yes?? Now,think about how it looked in the catalogue.........nice..................very good even, but NOT the same?? that's where I am with books..........even 'text books'........ :blink: ;)

I don't understand the whole smell/feel thing. All I know is that I can read anytime, virtually anywhere without having to spend hours ( and money) browsing in bookshops/libraries, nope doesn't do it for me. My spare time is grabbed whenever I can and i know that a book is there waiting whenever I have 10 minutes to myself and if its rubbish I just move on to the next one, simples!

Don,t actually have a kindle...........but do have kindle app on iPad, but dropping it in the bath is always a bit of a worry....give me a paperback any day :)

there are loads of waterproof cases for I pad.. one I looked at was for up to 10m a lot more than a bath depth...

for my kindle a ziplock bag works very well...

and I have now discovered I can read all my kindle books on my phone as well... no stopping me from a quick read any time.. brilliant..

• Like 1