Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Leavers Reports

Im new to this forum, having just signed up tonight, and not sure I am posting this is the right section, so apologies if I am not.

We have been having many discussions at work, in our Pre School, about leavers reports. We have always done them, split into the 6 learning areas, but basically just repeat what the development matters sheets and learning journeys say, so it has been questioned if we need them.

I guess Im on here asking if any other setting does them, and if so, how?

Many thanks

Hiya!

Our reports are very informal.

It's A5 size. A4 folded in half with the fold along the top edge.

it's nice creamy thick coloured paper.

On the front is a drawing of the child done by the child!

Inside is a second slighter smaller white piece of paper and if that's opened up on the top is a photo of the group of children and then the other half houses comments about the child. Not in areas of learning.

Only positive remarks bringing to the fore each child's achievements or attributes.

Myself and all members of staff sign it.

I think they are useful because parents don't really know the ins and outs generally of the EYFS so this is a more user friendly little celebration of their child. With the developmental statements most only want to know they are doing ok.

The report is something nice to keep.

So all in all I would say depending on how they are done, there is a need.

• Like 1

We did them for the school they would be attending, a transition report. Parents has a section to add comments and sign them before being sent and could have a copy if they wanted,, Parents were given all the other documentation for their child.

In Kent we send Transition reports which have been prepared by the county for us to complete and give to parents and copies to the next setting. There is a space for comments and a grid with all areas of learning and the stage at which the children have reached in the EYFS to indicate. However, even though we have been doing these for a number of years, at recent meetings many Reception Teachers have said that these forms tell them nothing about the child. I suppose this may be true if teachers are not that conversant with the 30-50 and 40-60 stages and only concentrate on the profile points, I'm not a keen lover of our transition forms but I don't really see why the teachers feel the way they do. If you want a look at our transition form p.m. me and I will send you one.

• Like 1

we do reports (feedback) ...im plodding my way through 56 of them as i speak! We no longer do the areas of learning but we do say how the children have progressed this term and what the next steps in learning are for them. If they are going to school we will ensure that they include the childrens strengths and ...if we feel it is appropriate any issues that might affect a smooth transition (like the one ive just written...."likes to do things on his own terms"....in other words is a stubborn wotsit who won't do anything you ask! :oxD :rolleyes: :wub: )

• Like 1

We used to do really nice personal statements under the 6 areas, they were nice for the parets to keep as part of the learning journey and informative for the reception teachers. However one year, one of the reception teachers said they do not really look at them because they make up their own minds when they have had the child for a while!!! So after that we really did not do them anymore as we wondered what the point was!!! We now pass on a tracker chart and a cohort assesment showing which area we believe the child is working within.

In Kent we send Transition reports which have been prepared by the county for us to complete and give to parents and copies to the next setting. There is a space for comments and a grid with all areas of learning and the stage at which the children have reached in the EYFS to indicate. However, even though we have been doing these for a number of years, at recent meetings many Reception Teachers have said that these forms tell them nothing about the child. I suppose this may be true if teachers are not that conversant with the 30-50 and 40-60 stages and only concentrate on the profile points, I'm not a keen lover of our transition forms but I don't really see why the teachers feel the way they do. If you want a look at our transition form p.m. me and I will send you one.

Like Panders we use this format. Personally we don't like them. This year we have had real issues with parents wanting us to mark children at 40-60 as if they are not at this they think they are underachieving!! We wonder how much more info we can give them so they realise that this is a best fit grid!!! AAAAAAAAaaaaaaaahhhhhh thats what we think.

• Like 1

Does anyone else review the reports staff write on children to check they reflect the children accurately (i.e. which dev matters area they are in) ?

What would you do when faced with a group of reports that are not accurate and are obviously rushed (have had a month to do them), writing hard to read, using the largest text to fill the box with as little info as they can and comments are very general and would descibe any child.

This is my dilemma ... what I feel I need to do, but really dont feel I can, is to ask them to re-write (or do it myself) as I feel these children not being accurately represented and there is such a difference between these and the others. I dont want to let the reports go like this but I know the staff member already feels 'got at' .... how can I deal with this without causing a whole load of bad feeling?

Should I just let it go and deal with it ready for next year?

Any advice?

The key workers used to do their own but I found they were really inconsistent , one kw would have a less able child say on an Elg for an area, and another with a more able child would have them in lower band, so now I do all of them with my room leader, it is time consuming though and I do wonder when I see how they,re grouped in reception if they were even looked at, I,m sure a list of who not to sit with who, this is what upsets so snd so etc would be more use to reception teachers at the start.

My view is that the transition from a pre-school/day nursery setting to a nursery school / reception is a major event in a child's life and any process or information which can support this transition must surely be a good thing. I think it is a shame that many schools seem to not value the documentation. Surely to evaluate possible next steps to best meet the needs of a child's ongoing learning journey, it is important to take into account where they are coming from on that journey.

Sadly, I believe that no matter how well trained and qualified the early years workforce becomes, qualified teachers still do not appear to value the knowledge we have and therefore the information we would like to share (generally).

Edited by Guest

Sorry for the rant which doesn't even answer the original question - just gets me all riled up :angry:

Does anyone else review the reports staff write on children to check they reflect the children accurately (i.e. which dev matters area they are in) ?

What would you do when faced with a group of reports that are not accurate and are obviously rushed (have had a month to do them), writing hard to read, using the largest text to fill the box with as little info as they can and comments are very general and would descibe any child.

This is my dilemma ... what I feel I need to do, but really dont feel I can, is to ask them to re-write (or do it myself) as I feel these children not being accurately represented and there is such a difference between these and the others. I dont want to let the reports go like this but I know the staff member already feels 'got at' .... how can I deal with this without causing a whole load of bad feeling?

Should I just let it go and deal with it ready for next year?

Any advice?

we now moderate as a team so the reports will be put in a pile in the middle of the table and they randomly pick one....everyone asks questions (this has taken a while to gain confidence in) then they will scribble on the draft copy ...i will then go through them again and do any final alterations.All the staff have things that they are good at and things they don't do so well. my deputy has fantastic english skills so she will pick up on spelling and grammar, others are good at having the childs voice on there, some do not have english as their first language so may need additional support in written English. Sometimes if i feel they are being sensitive souls i will correct and then discuss afterwards, or i will say im not sure ive seen them do that can you give me an example?. What i would say is that it's taken some time to get to this point and now it's easy because they all expect me to question them but i will not send them on to school if they are incorrect it's not fair on the children (or the teacher... if they read it ;) ) they are all done on the computer so can be easily changed. So i guess my answer would be that they need changing ...unfortunatley we are the boss and sometimes that means doing things people don't like. It's so difficult in this job because we tend to work in smalll teams and get to know everything about each others...but there has to be a line drawn between boss and friend

• Like 1

We do the Norfolk County Council transfer from pre-school to school form, if you follow the link below and click on the link for the form it has lots of guidance to go with it:

http://www.norfolk.gov.uk/Childrens_services/Family_information_and_childcare/Childcare_advice_and_guidance/NCC089722

We used this format for the first time this year. Previously we had covered each area of learning, but this is much easier and covers all the vital points well.

i wish Essex did something like that - if they do, i have not been made aware of it and can't find it, fortunately we have great links with the school and the EY teacher and I have already had some discussions as well as her coming in to read to children , I love the info from Norfolk and the form layout so think we may use it - thanks for sharing :1b

We do the Norfolk County Council transfer from pre-school to school form, if you follow the link below and click on the link for the form it has lots of guidance to go with it:

http://www.norfolk.g...dance/NCC089722

We used this format for the first time this year. Previously we had covered each area of learning, but this is much easier and covers all the vital points well.

I really like that - thanks for sharing :1b

the schools i send to except 1 (we sent children to 6 different schools this yr) have come to visit the children in the setting, have read our transition reports and have valued the learning journals that the children have shared with them and they can see again if they ask the parents for them.

I dont like the format we have but its a working document and hopefully will go on to to improve.

We also have a transition box with items from different schools that the children can play with and we can discuss fears worries and pleasures to come.

I do not do a leaver report i feel the learning journeys are amazing

we do give the children a photo of their story groups presented in a good luck card

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)