Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Yesterday I Cried..lots, Today Was Better.

Guest MaryEMac

Guest MaryEMac

Yesterday I wanted to speak to one of our mums who is going through a rough time trying to stop her husband get custody of her children after he violently abused her. I took her into the office and she broke down saying that she was going to leave the area but let her husband have the boys (aged 8,severely autistic and aged 4). She said that she had had enough, couldn't go on and intimated taking her own life. She was crying and so was I. After she had calmed down she went home and I ended up making a 'what if' phone call. After half an hour on the phone with a senior social worker I knew that I had to make a referrall, I cried again. One of her neighbours who is also the playgroup chair came over and said that the mum was packing the boys things and was taking them to dad today (fri).

I made the referrall and hoped that something would happen.

It did. Domestic violence unit made contact as did the social workers and the police.

Today the mum came to see me with a box of chocolates and thanked me for what I did, she also said that I had saved her life. She is much more positive and getting control back. I went home yesterday absolutely drained, it was the most stressful day that I have had in 26 years as playgroup leader. I did learn though, that I can make a difference to someone's life.

There is a lot more to this story that I cannot mention and it would break your hearts to hear it.

Thanks for listening, I just needed to get this off my chest.

Today was a lot better.

Mary

Mary... it is people like you that make a huge difference to the lives of others - not just that poor mother but to her boys and the rest of her family and friends... sometimes it is just so right to listen to your heart as well as your head. Without you taking the time to listen to her and without your care and understanding goodness know what devastation lay ahead.

Words are not enough to express what you have done for this familyxxxxx

• Like 1

How glad you must be that you listened with your heart and your head and made that call.... you should be very proud of yourself and the difference you have made to the lives of that family.

Nona

Wow, you did an amazingly courageous thing and listened to this Mum's cry for help - this is intervention at its best - had you not it does not bear thinking about. I hope you are getting some support yourself from those around you.

Fabulous!

Take care Mary

• Like 1

Guest MaryEMac

My chair has been very supportive and the staff yesterday were amazing. They kept the session going while I was falling apart in the office. it was a very emotional day for all involved but to see that mum today made what I did all worth while.

Mary

Mary you maybe exhausted but wow what a difference you have made. "Follow your gut instinct" has always been my motto and you certainly did that.

May the whole family now get the support they deserve and make sure you get some TLC too. F x

Edited by Fredbear

It isn't every day you go to bed knowing you have made a positive change in someone's life. Sometimes the most difficult things to do are the things that have the most profound effect. She's lucky to have you fighting her corner. Sending you a big virtual hug - well done you! xx

How wonderful, well done you - reading your post has made me feel all warm inside. The good thing you have done will ripple outwards affecting many people that you will not even know, thank you X

Edited by Guest

Hi Mary - a massive well done to you........really hope that I would be able to cope so well in that sort of situation.......

Wonderful too to read that help was available when needed

Sending all good wishes to you and the family x

Well done - this story shows just how much more we do than 'just looking after children' in our roles as childcare practitioners, often we are asked to make decisions and judgements about things that can have a massive impact on children and families, with little support, but still other professionals struggle to see how valuable our role is ! My rule of thumb is always what impact will this have on the children.... if it's in any way negative then I report it or seek support.