Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Is This Fact Or Rumours?

Hi my manager keeps coming out with little facts she says will need implementing in Sept. Examples include all staff must attend 4 training courses a year, our health and safety person must have level 3health and safety and go on a 3 day course, (I have level 2), all new staff must learn how to do a CAF on induction and many more! I have read the statutory framework numerous times and development matters and can't find anywhere what she is talking about! Is this in some other publication or is it just rumour do you know?

It could be some County regulations. I know our County stipulates what training to what level we must all have, otherwise our Entitlement funding can be withdrawn

Ok that makes more sense, not sure where to read there regulations though. Yuck am finding more and more work to do with this new framework and was hoping she had got it wrong so it wasn't more pressure!

The Single Funding Formula states the kind of level qualification and training you've mentioned that is needed to upgrade your funding entitlement...in Leicestersire. So maybe your Manager is trying to upgrade the settings status in the hope of increasing funding?

• Like 1

Reading your posts - can anyone help - does this also apply to before and after school clubs in Essex - not registered seperately to school for Ofsted but I know they have to complete a RAG - I am in and essex school.

If so can you point me in the right direction as I'm the school FS manager and it appears the before and after school EYFS children are now being put under my umbrella. This is not an area I know anything about - lots more to find out!!

Many thanks to you all xxx

Hi Pooh

Before and after school club is classed as wrap around care and so long as school and parents are in agreement then you dont actually need to be planning for EYFS (come Sept), doing obs etc. We are going over to school at the end of July and the club is planning to just encourage the EYFS children in PSE. They have been at school all day and club should be a place they can relax and enjoy with friends. The EYFS teacher and I are meeting next term. Our plan is to have a scrapbook containing photos of the EYFS children which we can share with school. We shall also have termly meetings just to share info/concerns/areas we can both work on. Staff at club and the EY teacher also share quick info at hand over.

I suppose it all depends on what your LEA/head wants to see also. Ours is very supportive of our view even saying that he would drop from outstanding school if it meant we had to "teach" at club.

Hope this helps.

Yes I am, it seems the only way (to be completely confused and put tons more pressure on yourself to have boxes ticked) is Essex!!

Asked my manager this morning and she showed me the rag form which in my opinion does not make a lot of sense! On some questions even if you have what they are asking you can only get an amber as amber and red are the only two answer boxes given for yes/no so try as we may to tick boxes there isn't a green on some questions even when you have done it!! Bit unfair I think!

On the bright side CPD is not a limiting judgement for your overall RAG rating! Goal posts are constantly changing with each RAG - last year they introduced the CAF stuff to the RAG without any warning, this year there are so many more boxes to tick. Have to say glad its not my overall responsibility this year!

Are your lea's actually allowed to impose such strict rules? only often we are running our own businessess (or on behalf of trustees) these rules all come at a price...do they give you additional monies to comply? I cannot think of any other industry where local government is able to restrict your income like this. Perhaps it is about time you rebelled folks...in this economic climate they should be glad to have you, as you are a vital part of their childcare plans, which they would not be able to fulfill without you all. They should be an advisory service not a dictatorship!! <_<

• Like 1

Are your lea's actually allowed to impose such strict rules? only often we are running our own businessess (or on behalf of trustees) these rules all come at a price...do they give you additional monies to comply? I cannot think of any other industry where local government is able to restrict your income like this. Perhaps it is about time you rebelled folks...in this economic climate they should be glad to have you, as you are a vital part of their childcare plans, which they would not be able to fulfill without you all. They should be an advisory service not a dictatorship!! <_<

No money for training cover- and we have to pay for most courses.

Still, on a brighter note, our rags seem a lot less stressful than my friends in a neighbouring borough.

Xx

At the end of the day, each LA will have its own code of practice (linked to the national code) which states what it expects providers to do or have etc. This will have been signed by anyone in receipt of funding. That is the contract really isn't it? You do abc and then you will be eligible to receive govt money for what you are providing for children. In areas where there is more available childcare than children needing them, LAs can decide to fund only the better ones. (in practice they often don't but they can!). This is because the research shows over and over again that only quality childcare actually makes a difference long term to outcomes for children. Poor quality doesn't. So, they need criteria to determine which settings are providing quality. We know from previous conversations here that OFSTED rating in itself isn't always enough. Obviously what we can see here is that LAs have different criteria with which they define quality. Some use ECERS, some use EQUISP, some RAG ratings; some have their own quality improvement framework that all providers must participate in.

This really isn't any different from other jobs where there are specific guidelines which have to be met, whether it be memberships of certain bodies, health and safety regs etc, they do exist in pretty much all jobs in one way or another.

I am taking it as 4 training sessions - which it says on the RAG and not 'courses'

My understanding of this is - when one member attends a course, we than have a staff training 'session' which all other staff attend during which information is cascaded down.

And to be honest you'd find it hard pushed to actually find 4 different courses for each staff member a year anyway (Essex)(unless you have a high staff turnover!!! )

Not to mention 10 staff x 4 = 40 x £30 + pay + cover -even at min wage (average 3 hours? so lets average around £20)

so thats around £30 cost + £20 wages + £20 staff cover = £70 x 40 courses therefore potentially around about £2,800 a year for staff training.

Just as well the SEN ones are free!

I should add that we do aim to try for all staff to do one course per term anyway - but this is becoming ever more difficult due the actuall lack of interesting,and more importantly the location of many of these courses.

In the past year I have had the course I want (have too!) go on cancelled. I have been expected to attend miles away on a Saturday, which I fully understand may be good for some people (childminders etc) but I already work enough undpaid hours in a pre-school I am not giving up my Saturday

Sorry ........ bit of a rant there, I'm not in a good mood today!!!! :( (bet you couldn't guess I've been doing my RAG today :angry: .

xx

was told by my training officer (when we had one in our lea!) that if you minute staff meetings and record the agenda etc then this can be recorded as training . Induction training would also count and if you do any in house fire/health and safety then this would be ok (you could even print your own certificates for their files! :rolleyes: )

was told by my training officer (when we had one in our lea!) that if you minute staff meetings and record the agenda etc then this can be recorded as training . Induction training would also count and if you do any in house fire/health and safety then this would be ok (you could even print your own certificates for their files! :rolleyes: )

I like the idea of certificates!

Typical. I used to do such detailed minutes that they became the source of much ridicule from my team xD :lol: xD !!!! Then about a year ago I had a 'why?' moment........... and made them much simpler! I shall now have to go back to my old formula!!! :D

xxx