Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

From Vacant To Engaged

Just had my copy of this book delivered today and have just finished reading it, truly inspirational and I will be looking very differently at my provision when I venture in over the half term holidays. Having a large group of rowdy, confident and very active boys this term some of the ideas in this book will hopefully help me survive until the summer, Alistair Bryce-Clegg could just have saved my life. Well recommended

where did you get your copy? I ordered it months ago from Amazon and they kept putting the delivery date further and further back, so i gave up and cancelled it :(

I ordered it on amazon last oct, truthfully I'd forgotten all about it, but was a lovely surprise to receive it yesterday

Guest sn0wdr0p

What a super book. It takes you back to the basics of what play is really about. A couple of my less experienced staff do not seem to have developed the imagination to facilitate great play and learning opportunities. I have told all my staff that they MUST read it.

I did think about putting out some cardboard boxes etc. out in my next staff training session and see what they all did with them when left to 'play' but instead told them what I had thought of doing and in the main they said they would have made cars or houses! This was exactly the answer I expected. (Our qualified playworkers were more clued up than childcare qualified staff though) I wonder what they will all come up with after reading this book!

I got mine from the book depository within a few days of ordering it. Thanks to the person who recommended it. I am halfway through and have made lots of notes for us as a setting to look at. Really makes you think and I thought we were very reflective about the way we work and operate anyway. Would really recommend it to everyone.

So glad you are all loving 'Vacant to Engaged' - I :1b every time it is mentioned on here. My setting is featured in the book and still can't believe it. Alistair is fab to work with and never fails to inspire me everytime we meet.

• Like 2

This book is fantastic and I urge everyone to buy it - I wish I had the money to buy it for all my staff team as they are struggling ton get behind the 'process not result' theory. It has given me loads of ideas for things to do in Spetember with my new cohort

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

He is! With sons, so knows what he's talking about with engaging boys!

Mmmmm thats a shame, can't remember when I was last so interested in what a man had to say....? : )

Edited by Rafa
  • Like 3

• 4 weeks later...

I am a private preschool and have made changes in line with some of his ideas and they sit very well in my environment

most of the items I looked at to be very much geared towards school nursery/reception classes

I am preschool too and Id definitely say its suited to all....We are after all suppoded to be following the same curriculum.

I think Alistairs work is actually brings more of the preschool learning through play ethos into the schools while showing preschools how to ensure (and explain) how play, and especially continuous provison planning, does have an impact on childrens learning while still being able to keep it very much discovery- led and child centred.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)