Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Sleeping Outside

not sure what your weather is like at the mo but we have 5 inches of snow here so I probably wouldn't put them out at the moment! :o

My own children used to sleep outside when it wasn't freezing and personally if the parents are happy with it, your setting has a quiet and secure area (not just out the way of intruders but of other children as well) and you can see the sleeping children then I personally would say it is great.

Social Services were called out to my mum because she let me sleep out in my pram ( December baby)......and she told them to go and check on me. One snuggly baby, well wrapped and cosy, so she then told the SS lady to, ahem, 'go away' in terms that only a strong Liverpudlian lady could!

I would say absolutely, let them sleep outside, subject to parental permission and the usual risk assessments.........and good for you for considering it. Benefits? Good fresh air in their lungs helps them to sleep well ( unless it's literally freezing outside?). All six of my own children slept out in their prams, not something we even considered a problem back in my day!

my husband and his sister were always left outside....my mother inlaw used to leave him at the bottom of the garden...one day she looked out to find it had snowed and there was two inches of snow on top of the pram!...Have to say my children often slept in the fresh air in the back garden...meant i could get on with hoovering etc without disturbing them!

What an interesting question! xD

I always put my 'boys' out in the garden in their prams.......I had a pram 'net' - can you still buy those? :(

My grandson often slept outside too.......

My granddaughters never - the house they lived in was so close to a main road that my son and daughter-in-law decided that they would be breathing more traffic fumes than fresh air! :o

In a nursery situation.....I think perhaps you should 'risk assess' (sorry) but also seek the views of parents.....

Do let us know what you decide :(

my mum has a picture of me when i was a baby in my pram sound asleep outside in the snow!

i've always wheeled mine around to the back garden to sleep in the pram/buggy and if my children were younger and at nursery then as a parent i wouldnt mind but yes depends on where they were sleeping.

I rang a friend in Denmark to congratulate her on her new baby a couple of years ago. She had just prepared the baby into her new Swedish 'system' and had to put the baby outside before she could talk for fear she would overheat. Sounded great, but there is another side to this idea, which is about childrearing by letting babies cry themselves out. It would be important that parents understood that babies were still in close contact, and not just left outside to get on with it.

As a childminder, if I have babies sleeping in the afternoons, I take them outside in their buggies so that I can play with the older children and still keep an eye on the baby. And often we just have to take sleeping babies out for school pick-ups - I visited a friend recently and the toddler was in the garage - had fallen asleep on the way home from nursery pick-up and had to stay outside as too warmly dressed to bring in.

I can't wait for the next crop of babies - roll on September.

Honey

I, too, take sleeping babies outside in a pram when I'm out with the other children. I have "proper" old-fashioned pram so they can lie flat, with a pram net, a hood and an apron so they're fairly weather proof!

None of my parents have ever had a problem with it and the babies have all gone on to be robust, outside in all weathers children.

As Honey says, as childminders, babies in our care are often outside on school runs etc.

I'm dusting off my pram as I'm settling in my Care to Learn baby over half term - I'm SO excited! :o

Nona

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)