Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Attending Meetings

I'm trying to find out from other committee run settings whether or not staff get paid to attend committee meetings or any other meetings which they are required to attend as part of their job.

Would anyone be able to let me know what you get, if anything.

Thank you

Karen

We dont pay staff to attend meetings. Staff have always been invited but dont have to come, although in our case right now, if they didnt come i'd be on my own.

I've been involved with the playgroup for 15 years and its always been the same, I cant say anyone has ever queried it either. Hope they dont start, we're not very well off! :o

off to committee meeting tonight - don't get paid for it - dont expect too , staff meetings should be paid but unfortunately we can only pay for an hour which is def not long enough but most staff would do it for longer without pay but i think they should get paid but again lack of funds !!!!

Hi we are a committee run setting and we don't get paid for committee meetings. The staff do get paid for staff meetings which are generally two hours in length once every half-term.

Although staff are obviously invited in my 20 years at the group, i can honestly say the staff have only attended in the past when they have had a gripe over something and this was before i took over as the supervisor.

I agree with others that i would feel very uncomfortable to be paid whilst all the lovely volunteers are not.

Hope this helps. :o

No in nearly 20years of working there staff have never been paid for attending and never would be. I feel, like the OP if parents (committee) can attend then so should staff. To be honest it's never been a problem apart from the last year or so when we had one staff member who never attended, so it is now done on a rota either myself and/or deputy attend and the other staff attend on a rota basis unless they want to.

Staff meetings are paid for and feel the have to be they are part of our working hours and must be paid for. No other meetings are though. I think if people have gripes about attending meetings out of hours then (unless of course they are happening every week) they are in the wrong job. It's not like being in an office where you can disappear for an hour and then catch up later and most of us will have known this when we started the job

I'm speaking as someone who has never worked for a committee-run group, but I think if a member of staff is required to go to a committee meeting as part of their job then this should be paid for. However if attendance is optional or if their attendance is based on their own interest then I wouldn't expect them to be paid.

In what other job would you expect unpaid hours to form part of your contract?

I used to be a paid administrator for the Pre-school Learning Alliance who was paid to attend branch meetings, and worked happily alongside volunteers who never queried that the staff members were being paid whilst the volunteers who in effect were our bosses were not. It was just part of their role and one which they had accepted when they stood for nomination.

If staff were required to attend the committee meetings they were paid, and I was paid to attend , I was their representative.. but they were able to attend if they wanted.. never did - they gave me the info and I took it to committee...

The committee also felt that we should be paid as were were employed by them and it was amazingly one area that was never an issue..

Guest babyjane31

as a team we all get paid 2.5 hours a week non contact taken on a friday afternoon when the setting closes we use this for planning, meetings, trainint etc. as manager I get paid to attend committee meetings as I have to attend, staff do not usually attend committtee meetings but could if they wanted to and would be paid if the committee had asked them to come.

Hi there,

I don't know about being paid to attend committee meetings, but it may be an idea to look at your constitution. I know in the PLA constitution it states;

"..since the Pre-school Learning Alliance Model Pre-school Constitution 2008 made it possible for paid staff to become a Committee member without special consent, many charities have requested further guidance on effectively managing conflicts of interests. "

This is referring directly to staff attending meetings and making judgements on pay as well as whether they should/could be paid to attend.

Maybe you could seek informal advice from the PLA?

Best of luck,

Spiral.

I can however see how this could cause problems... as staff member on the committee should not be paid for the hours as they are doing this as extra voluntary work, but a staff member attending because they have been asked or representing the staff could be paid for their time..

conflict there as to who to pay and who not..

double edged sword that clause, relief at not having to chase for committee members but could also cause other issues..

karenlatoy...can i just ask which meetings you are expecting them to attend and why? It isn't normal practise for companies to ask their staff to attend their directors meetings so why do you want your staff to?.

Unfortunately there is no comparison though. Usually the directors of a company know the 'ins and outs' of their business extremely well and are eminently qualified to make decisions based on their knowledge and experience. The same cannot be said for most committee run playgroups, hence the need to have staff attending to inform and guide them in their business.

Unfortunately there is no comparison though. Usually the directors of a company know the 'ins and outs' of their business extremely well and are eminently qualified to make decisions based on their knowledge and experience. The same cannot be said for most committee run playgroups, hence the need to have staff attending to inform and guide them in their business.

Beau as a Manager of a pre-school i would certainly expect to attend meetings but why would you expect staff to be there...surely it is not their duty to do so or in the remit for their job.

Thanks for all your answers. The situation we are in at the moment is that we have an 'acting supervisor' until a new preschool manager is appointed and the committee requested the acting supervisor's presence at their meeting but did not want to pay for her time. Once we have a new manager, I think it will be different because attending committee meetings will be part of their contract and they will be on a higher rate of pay.

Karen

Hi finleysmaid,

I think Beau was using 'staff' very loosely - as in 'a staff representative' , such as yourself, knowledgable in all aspects of our job. I would think it highly unlikely they would want the whole staff team!!

Sue

Beau as a Manager of a pre-school i would certainly expect to attend meetings but why would you expect staff to be there...surely it is not their duty to do so or in the remit for their job.

Hi finleysmaid,

I think Beau was using 'staff' very loosely - as in 'a staff representative' , such as yourself, knowledgable in all aspects of our job. I would think it highly unlikely they would want the whole staff team!!

Sue

What she said! :o

I know some committee run playgroups that operate without having any staff members come along to meetings which leads to all sorts of problems.

well after 12 years of running with a committee i have seen the good the bad and the ugly :o anyway i guess the point that i was trying to make is that if you are the manager i would expect to attend and either get paid for the hours or in my salary. (i shall add this to my list of reasons i am glad we are now a company) xD