Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Cave Stories

For the first half of next term I have 'We're going on a bear hunt' as our theme (after that I move on to a completely child initiated one). I'd like to expand a little and make it more about caves. I talked with the children before Christmas and got some starting points - caves as homes, scary caves, animals that live in caves and we have a great (I hope - never been there before) planned.

I would like to read them some stories that include caves in some way - just to branch out a little but the only two I can come up with so far are:

We're going on a Bear Hunt

The Gruffalo's child

We love Bear Hunt and it gets 'done' at the start of most of our PE lessons - we change it sometimes, the last one was 'We're going on a slug hunt, we're a little bit scared!'

Does anyone have any thoughts on other stories with a cave in?

I think 'The Big Ugly Monster and the Little Stone Rabbit' (Christopher Wormell) has a cave. It's a really good story about being different, I can't remember any more about it but I did use it for 'diversity' I have just found this on a google page.......

'Once, in a cave, there lived a horrible ugly monster. Perhaps the most horrible and ugly monster in the whole world.' So ugly is the monster that lives in this cave that he can turn a blue sky to snow and evaporate a pond just by dipping his toe in it. No living thing can stand to be in his presence. But the monster is not ugly on the inside; he's just lonely; very, very lonely. So he decides to build some friends out of stone, but not even stone can stand the full force of the monster's smile'

Hope this is of some use.

Cath

Edited by katekit

bear in a cave is the follow on from bear hunt..

but do get one with a cd as it shows you how to read it if that makes sense.. my staff thought it all very boring and could not understand it at all until I read it having listened to the cd and it all fell into place.. there is a lot of phrasing and voice inflection needed form what I remember..

better info here..

Can't you Sleep, Little Bear? And the other 'Little Bear' stories by Martin Waddell.

I covered this story as a topic many years ago and turned the role play area into a cave. I covered the top with chicken wire and then papier mache - painted the whole grey. We added a 'log fire', a chair and a bed with some 'bear' books. It was a great topic which developed into light and dark, moon and stars etc.

Thanks for the replies everyone - I know we have some of those books in school.

DevonMaid/Lashes2508 those were the lines I was thinking of going down. I don't think I can turn my role play area into a cave as it has to move every lunchtime when dinners are served in my room but the reading corner is going to become a cave a bit like the one in Gruffalo's child. I'm planning to cover the walls with paper so the children can draw/mark make on them. The trip we're going on has cave painting/art, cave stories (in a real cave) and an archaeological dig as the key activities on it.

Thanks for the replies everyone - I know we have some of those books in school.

DevonMaid/Lashes2508 those were the lines I was thinking of going down. I don't think I can turn my role play area into a cave as it has to move every lunchtime when dinners are served in my room but the reading corner is going to become a cave a bit like the one in Gruffalo's child. I'm planning to cover the walls with paper so the children can draw/mark make on them. The trip we're going on has cave painting/art, cave stories (in a real cave) and an archaeological dig as the key activities on it.

Wow - that sounds SO exciting - enjoy your topic, I'm sure the children will!

There's a beautiful book about a baby bear who decorates a cave covered in snow with flowers and icicles which I ordered secondhand following a suggestion on here, it's got lovely textured illustrations too. It's at pre-school, can't remember the name of it off hand, but will look tomorrow.

Thanks again everyone. I just found another one in case anyone else is interested:

The Bear in the Cave by Michael Rosen.

I found it on the signed stories website where I sometimes go to look for stories if we don't have a copy in school. It's nice for children to see familiar stories presented in a different way sometimes.

Here's the address if you'd like to have a look.

http://www.signedstories.com/

Thanks again everyone. I just found another one in case anyone else is interested:

The Bear in the Cave by Michael Rosen.

I found it on the signed stories website where I sometimes go to look for stories if we don't have a copy in school. It's nice for children to see familiar stories presented in a different way sometimes.

Here's the address if you'd like to have a look.

http://www.signedstories.com/

errrr....I did mention that one earlier... with links....

There's a beautiful book about a baby bear who decorates a cave covered in snow with flowers and icicles which I ordered secondhand following a suggestion on here, it's got lovely textured illustrations too. It's at pre-school, can't remember the name of it off hand, but will look tomorrow.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Snow-Bears-Surpris...mp;sr=1-2-fkmr0

Here's a link to the book. I picked up a good copy second hand via Amazon. Don't forget to buy through the link in the Resources section to raise money for charity. It's a den rather than a cave as such but I think it would still fit the bill.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

And we've just found and enjoyed 'Cave Baby' by Julia Donaldson! Well up to standard and lovely illustrations as always. It led into some great chat about what it must have been like to live in a cave, and even how old people were when they were considered 'old'. We made lovely cave paintings and have also explored the colours we could manufacture in the garden today, to make pictures.

And we've just found and enjoyed 'Cave Baby' by Julia Donaldson! Well up to standard and lovely illustrations as always. It led into some great chat about what it must have been like to live in a cave, and even how old people were when they were considered 'old'. We made lovely cave paintings and have also explored the colours we could manufacture in the garden today, to make pictures.

oooh that sounds good - Amazon here I come! :1b

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)