Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

"we Pay Our Fees".....

I'm not committee run, but they obviously don't get it do they!

How much info on how the pre-school is run are the parents given to begin with? I do remember in days well gone by that some committee run pre-schools made it a stipulation that parents would have to stay and help on a rota basis.

They obviously don't have that community feel to want to raise funds which is very saddening.

Oh thumperrabbit, what a shame, they are missing out in terms of sharing children's achievements whilst with you and also lots of fun opportunities to be part of.

I know we are in a minority presently at our setting as we really don't struggle at the moment with members and have a really fantastic proactive committee, have lots of fun and they are itching to do lots of things, long may it continue. :o

I think sometimes you do have to spell it out to them that without their support there will be no treats, outings, new equipment.

We are incredibly transparent in terms of where every penny goes, including incoming and outgoing monies.

I do also feel they do think that the funding /fees you receive does cover everything but sadly this is not the case.

Lets hope fortunes will change for you soon.

Edited by bridger

Can I join in your rant

We had an AGM last night and had a big chat about it.

How do you get parents to help?

On a positive note

We have had stay and play this week and the response has been quite good. I do send out letters inviting them and we list what we have observed and give them a chance to comment.

This definetly seems to help although of course it is a lot of extra work.

On the negative side we do have a weekly rota for parents to wash up snack equipment (not paint)

Only a few regular kind parents do this.

Earlier this week things got hectic - we were trying on costumes and practising Christmas songs.

I put a note on the door explaining this and as we did not have anyone to wash up I asked if anyone could help us by starting while they were waiting for their child to come out.

Not one person helped. In the end a grandparent who had her two grandchildren and another child with her started it.

Why do you think this is?

Do they think its our job and we get paid to do it

I have said in previous newsletters that if parents help we will have more time with the children.

It makes me really sad because I do go out of my way to help parents, we have a good reputation and an outstanding ofsted

Sorry for long post

Any thoughts gratefully received

We've got our AGM tonight. The real one was two weeks ago but only parent turned up. I put out a letter explaining about us being a charity and why we need parents involved in the meeting and its worked, I think we've got 6 parents coming, not the 60% we're supposed to have but I'm not telling the charity commission that!

My letter included things about us that I take for granted and presumed people were aware of. I promised myself I wouldnt do that after a parent asked me some years ago what a setting was. Seem's I've forgotten my own promise.

Now, fingers crossed I can sqeeze a treasurer and secretary out of them :o

Good luck with your AGM everyone, we did get our committee together in September but even those that volunteered then, have now decided they are "too busy" it's so difficult as I don't want to not believe them but....

We do hand out information leaflets when people 1st register about being a charity run setting and all the benefits that they could get from it, and in the past we have always been supported, but this year :o

I'm not cross or angry about it, it just saddens me, people don't seem to realise what they could get out of volunteering for a few hours every now and then, not just at playgroup but at other community events. Our village had a Christmas Bazaar the other week end and the turn out for that was awful too.

I'm finding it tough to deal with this year for some reason, do you think there's only so many years you can put up with keep asking all the time? Im in my 8th year.

Keeping my fingers crossed for you Rea. xD Parents really do need it drummed into them no committee, no pre-school it really is as simple as that.

I only once had to use that tactic but it did work and we haven't looked back.[ tempting fate now] :o

I have also put up on our committee board a list for helpers to come in each week on rota on a Wednesday whilst i have three staff training, bless their hearts its full up.

I do spend much of my time as supervisor engaging with parents and it does seem to pay off when the AGM approaches.

We also send out a parent/carer sheet each half-term and ask for helpers on cooking week. Do generally get at least one parent for each session.

Glen could you do a polite notice on your door saying something" like we need you" with a list of things that will help support you.

Making drinks, help with art/crafts, sharing books. Tend not to make it all tasks, chores, get them in first and then they will see what your up against.

:(

Good luck with your AGM everyone, we did get our committee together in September but even those that volunteered then, have now decided they are "too busy" it's so difficult as I don't want to not believe them but....

We do hand out information leaflets when people 1st register about being a charity run setting and all the benefits that they could get from it, and in the past we have always been supported, but this year :(

I'm not cross or angry about it, it just saddens me, people don't seem to realise what they could get out of volunteering for a few hours every now and then, not just at playgroup but at other community events. Our village had a Christmas Bazaar the other week end and the turn out for that was awful too.

I'm finding it tough to deal with this year for some reason, do you think there's only so many years you can put up with keep asking all the time? Im in my 8th year.

it is a shame and i feel for all of you, again it is the same for the preschool i have just taken role of supervisor, we are situated in a village that has won awards for best community and yet it is often the preschool that misses out, the present chairperson is only acting as the new chair left after only a few months , the preschool has had a few staff issues and when the going got tough the weak ones got going , she has stepped bacxk into the role so the preschool does not shut. In years gone by when I worked there before , the committee were strong and worked hard but it just seems that with more strain on parents to work people say they don't have time or maybe they don't really understand what is expected from them- many hands make light work .

i have worked , been a single mother and yet volunteered on many committees and been a school governor too - maybe thats the problem - the good ones are always expected to carry everyone else

maybe we all need a celebrity to bring our issues into the media lol :oxD

Ooh lashes2508 now thats an idea. If you could who would you get? xD

Is'nt just bridger :( think a man with real sex appeal so that all the mums would sit up and take notice and maybe he would have a stunning wife so all the dads sat up and took notice - Daniel Craig and Rachel Weiss maybe - it could called Investment BOND - investing in your children's future - support your preschools - do you think it might be worth dropping him a line - i 've got his number it's 007......... :o

Hi all,

I feel as frustrated as all of you. We have the same problem - trying to get parents involved, it is always the same few. I think the parents are under the misapprehension that we are like schools, get paid the same as teachers (not that they are not worth every penny!) and therefore why should they bother! Don't they realise their children would benefit so much from their participation!!!

Rant over - deep breath!!

:o Hi All,

I can understand your frustration and sadness.... it must be really difficult, we have been in that position in years gone past but have to say that our parents over the last few years have been fantastic - just what you want them to be! We have 26 families at present and 14 committee members (3 non parents though).

The only suggestion I would have is this - and I have posted about it in other discussions....

We regularly hold a 'bedtime story hour' where child come back to pre-school in their pyjamas and stay in the pre-school with some of the staff for stories, biscuits and milk. The first time we did this we charged £1 per child - older siblings can come too.

Meanwhile I take all the parents into the hall and run a slideshow of what we have been getting upto over the term. As the parents watch the photographs I give a bit of background information about what the learning objectives are. The children's learning journals and photo stories are also available for parents to look through. Last time we did this, we had 35 parents attend (we only have 32 children on roll!) lots both mum and dad but one grandparent came too! and someone afterwards said "it was great to have a parent's evening and not have to sort out a babysitter".

This is really popular with parents - who doesn't like to see pictures of their child?

But once they are there maybe you could include a photographic wishlist of what you would like to purchase if funds were available, or explain how the staff get involved in the activities to show how this is what they should be spending their time on (and not washing up!).

We offer stay and play to all mums and dads as well but always make sure they know they can stay just for 1/2 an hour or all morning whichever is convenient - they need to try it to see how much fun it is! I'm sure they would come back - maybe you could start a 'drop in' stay and play where there are other parents around as well

Otherwise stop sending home any paintings, craft work , emergent writing, etc. etc. because the staff have been too busy with mundane jobs to support it all!! xD lol

we have had real issues trying to get a committee - we now have one but only because we said we would shut otherwise - so how long will they stay? parents these days find it hard to find time too - one parent usually working day time and the other night times.

has anyone come out of being a committee led pre-school - can they tell me how they did it and has it been a success? think we ned to be going down some other lines with the committee being there to fundraise etc

HELP ON THIS WOULD BE GREAT THANK YOU X

Guest terrydoo73

We are a small playgroup in Northern Ireland. We have a Management Committee who are responsible for our salaries and other overheads. They actively search for funds to pay us but being only 1 year in business we haven't had too many problems but of course they cannot pay us indefinately!

We started up a Parents Advisory Group at the beginning of the year and like many of you only a handful turned up. We went through the whole bit about why we had to fundraise etc etc and thankfully we had quite a bit of support - our first Easter Raffle raised nearly £200, our Fun Day in June raised £125, Smartie tubes in September £176 and we are now embarking on a Coffee and Craft Evening on Friday week - having raised over £200 before we hold the event! We took the attitude of handing the ideas back to the parents rather than us imposing it on them.

I recently attended a Working in Partnership with Parents training day and it was not what you would call a recipe for success type training event but rather reflected on what we as Practitioners actually did for our parents and show the positive rather than the negatives! It was amazing how much we actually were doing but also how much others were doing which we could learn from. We were encouraged to make use of our entrance areas as ways of communication. Also the use of a large A3 photographic album celebrating events and days in the Playgroup with the children left in a prominent position reminded parents of all we are actually doing with their little ones. Of course the usual scrapbooks and verbal/written reports were also important but the emphasis was very much on letting the parents be heard in terms of what they wanted but also a balance with what is practical in terms of financial constraints etc.

The question parents always ask is what will our money be used for and to date we have been able to use visual examples - our new wooden outdoor store for one and the ride-ons we are hoping to get permission to use eventually! We use a lot of press releases to highlight our work which parents do comment on!

We are a small playgroup in Northern Ireland. We have a Management Committee who are responsible for our salaries and other overheads. They actively search for funds to pay us but being only 1 year in business we haven't had too many problems but of course they cannot pay us indefinately!

We started up a Parents Advisory Group at the beginning of the year and like many of you only a handful turned up. We went through the whole bit about why we had to fundraise etc etc and thankfully we had quite a bit of support - our first Easter Raffle raised nearly £200, our Fun Day in June raised £125, Smartie tubes in September £176 and we are now embarking on a Coffee and Craft Evening on Friday week - having raised over £200 before we hold the event! We took the attitude of handing the ideas back to the parents rather than us imposing it on them.

I recently attended a Working in Partnership with Parents training day and it was not what you would call a recipe for success type training event but rather reflected on what we as Practitioners actually did for our parents and show the positive rather than the negatives! It was amazing how much we actually were doing but also how much others were doing which we could learn from. We were encouraged to make use of our entrance areas as ways of communication. Also the use of a large A3 photographic album celebrating events and days in the Playgroup with the children left in a prominent position reminded parents of all we are actually doing with their little ones. Of course the usual scrapbooks and verbal/written reports were also important but the emphasis was very much on letting the parents be heard in terms of what they wanted but also a balance with what is practical in terms of financial constraints etc.

The question parents always ask is what will our money be used for and to date we have been able to use visual examples - our new wooden outdoor store for one and the ride-ons we are hoping to get permission to use eventually! We use a lot of press releases to highlight our work which parents do comment on!

That sounds like an interesting day, I think we can sometimes forget the communication bit in the hassle of trying to raise money. Telling parents what you need the money for helps loads too. We once showed some parents a lovely wooden house we wanted, it came in planks that the children had to build, so it had lots of possibilities. One parent went home and told her dad and he bought it for us. £150.00 xD:o

Guest terrydoo73

Just wanted to give you another update on our Coffee and Crafts Evening - one of our parents took it on board to approach our local Tesco for a donation towards refreshments on the night - all they got was £20 in vouchers. The parent looked at the girl in Tesco and they both knew it was a miserable amount to give. The parent said to the girl "well you know I will be shopping in Asda this weekend don't you". I wouldn't have had a nerve but ...

when we get vouchers like that we spend them and buy things to put in a hamper or create a chocolate basket or a sweetie jar with a mix of cheapy things to make it look more impressive....add a nice jar and a pretty bow and bobs your uncle!! :o in this recession i am grateful for anything! xD

when we get vouchers like that we spend them and buy things to put in a hamper or create a chocolate basket or a sweetie jar with a mix of cheapy things to make it look more impressive....add a nice jar and a pretty bow and bobs your uncle!! :o in this recession i am grateful for anything! :(

well said finleysmaid beggars can't be choosers although got to admit that was a good one liner re: shopping at asda xD

totally agree how 'stingy' some of the foot retail places are! We regularly shop with Asda (spending up to £90 a week which is delivered to the setting) and when I approached them for donations towards our Christmas raffle was told couldn't provide anything!

I am feeling very despondent about the lack of support from parents too; we are a management committee charity setting and rely on parents to help with fundraising for all those little 'extras'! Tonight i held a Ladies Night and was so disappointed with the response (same old parents!). On the other hand when we put a parents' evening on for them to come and chat to their child's key person there is generally a good response, so really don't know where we are going wrong...after all I have been at work all week and gave up my Friday night to go into work and set up/clear away in my own time...well words cannot express how i feel!! :o

...I had a good few ones on a parent questionnaire response for out of school club (committee run)

"didnt know there was a parent committee"

"staff are a credit to the school"

"schhol does a good job of running the club"

...hmm this info in parent induction/handbook, on notice board, website, signed at the bottom of all newsletters, all email correspondence, notices on door etc etc

Beggars belief really!

Edited by marley

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)