Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Keeping Documents

I know that there have been postings about how long to keep documents on the forum but can't find them at the moment, so decided to ask again!!

I am sorting out years of paper work and I am going to be very strict but don't want to throw anything important out.

* Registration forms from parents - they contain personal information (health, etc) as well as contact numbers, etc.

* accident/incident forms

* payment sheets which are signed by parents

* Government funding forms completed by parents

* All permission forms relating to taking photos, leaving the premises to go on walks inthe area, etc

Hopefully you are able to help me with this - I just wish someone could help me SORT THE PAPERWORK OUT !!!!!!!

Thanks

Sue J

Thanks for posting that query and thanks for the helpful links too . I have just taken over as a Supervisor at a preschool and when i asked what the filing cabinet in the shed held , the reply was records that were over 7 years old and the keys had been lost !!! so screwdriver and shredder will be at the ready in the next week or so !!! :o

Our shredder hates doing more than about 20 sheets in a day so I save everything from playgroup or household and then have a bonfire.

I love being down the garden poking the flames with a stick. I find it really relaxing. Hope thats not weird or anything!! :o

Our shredder hates doing more than about 20 sheets in a day so I save everything from playgroup or household and then have a bonfire.

I love being down the garden poking the flames with a stick. I find it really relaxing. Hope thats not weird or anything!! :o

no not weird.. i used to take them home and burnt them on the fire, they made really good paper to start a fire.. and we never ran out!

• 1 month later...
had to come back as forgot to download document the first time round as my SENCO queried how long to keep her records ?? it does not state specifically but they are in second year f school so assuming ok to shred , burn , etc

think it would depend on how many really..

we did have an investigation 4 years after a child with additional needs left the setting about how we dealt with it etc.. was really glad to have all the paperwork register etc to hand.. ( we were accused of not picking something up and not dealing with it appropriately and getting help while they were with us.. was all ok as we had paperwork to show )

we did have an investigation 4 years after a child with additional needs left the setting about how we dealt with it etc.. was really glad to have all the paperwork register etc to hand.. ( we were accused of not picking something up and not dealing with it appropriately and getting help while they were with us.. was all ok as we had paperwork to show )

thnaks Inge - maybe we should hang on to it a little longer than, it's just a question of storage !! as we pack away setting and are currently clearing out as we are taking up way too much space with way too much stuff !! :o

thnaks Inge - maybe we should hang on to it a little longer than, it's just a question of storage !! as we pack away setting and are currently clearing out as we are taking up way too much space with way too much stuff !! :o

we too were packaway but found that we could dispose of a lot leaving the essentials... it was the financial stuff which took up most of the room.. our sen folder was not taking up much room in the overall scheme of things..

On this question can I ask what would happen if a setting were to be a PLA constitution, voluntary setting, run by a voluntary management committee and closed down? Who is responsible for retaining the information in this case? I'm just speaking hypothetically or course :o

On this question can I ask what would happen if a setting were to be a PLA constitution, voluntary setting, run by a voluntary management committee and closed down? Who is responsible for retaining the information in this case? I'm just speaking hypothetically or course :o

ooh now that makes me wonder too holly as we are committee run - voluntary -mm lets hope Inge can answer that one too - as she is a fountain of knowledge in my opinion xD

But what if you don't really have one locally to you? They were my first thought closely followed (laughingly) by my LA early years team. I could always ask Ofsted if they'd keep them safe but if you've read my post on EY2 forms being submitted late I think you will be able to divine my thoughts on that one!

ooh now that makes me wonder too holly as we are committee run - voluntary -mm lets hope Inge can answer that one too - as she is a fountain of knowledge in my opinion :o

Oh my I will get a big head.. thank you for the compliment.. not sure I am the fount of all knowledge , but did work in committee run settings for 20 + years so have a lot of experience.. good, bad and awful sometimes... and love the children of this age.

actually no idea on this one... think I would ring PLA and ask. interesting conundrum..