Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Diabetic?

narnia

I was diagnosed as diabetic this week, so I shall be looking for anyone who knows how to cope with this to offer help and advice. I wasn't told, but guess I am Type 2 ( I do SO love even numbers!) as it has come on in my advanced years and I am on pills for it. I don't have to inform my boss............i am my boss!...................but what else do I need to do on a practical level??

Did you see that bit of research about diabetics a couple of weeks ago about going on a certain type of diet for six weeks ?

Can't remember but I think it was a 'fat free' quite strict for six weeks and it helped tremendously. Obviosuly not suggesting this as an alternative.......... but it might be something worth looking at. :oxD

xxxx

I think once you have more information about your type of diabetes and how it affects you, or, could affect you, then you need to inform staff so that if you have a hyper or hypo they know what to do.

My father in law was diagnosed a few years ago, and due to hospital appointment lasting longer than it should etc., he didn't eat properly an had problems that evening, trouble was it was early days of being a diabetic, he was in his 90's, the ambulance crew thought it could have been a stroke because he was so incoherent, although in many other respects he wasn't really presenting with stroke like symptons.

So you do need to get to know how your body is going to react under certain conditions and your work colleagues need to know what signs to look for and what to do in the event of - same goes for your family of course.

My mum had it as does my sister in law..it can be easy to manage .. They asked to see a dietician to give them dietry advice with the tablets, or some doctors has a diabetic nurse who will help and guide you through your healthcare..

they always carried a biscuit or something with sugar in case of being delayed and in need of the boost.. my sister in law carries a banana around! works for her.. let colleagues know so they can tell you if you are flagging, looking tired or in case of a crisis..

and other things like annual eye tests, think they are free for diabetics, watch for cuts, they take longer to heal, keep good care of your feet because diabetes may lead to poor circulation and reduced feeling in the feet.

We found Diabeties Uk a useful resource for help and information.

it is easy to manage once you are balanced and did not affect their lifestyle at all.. I get checked regularly so far so good.

Complete a medication form as you would for a child, signs and symptoms, what to do in an emergency etc so that colleagues would know what to do in an emergency. That way hopefully you won't ever be in that situation, as you will be able to manage your diabetes with your diet.

When we had a child with diabetes we had a nurse come into the setting to show us how to check the child's blood sugar levels, and we had a plan so that if the blood sugar levels fell below or above given numbers, we had a written course of action. The child had limited talk and was type 1 diabetic, requiring an insulin injection, so this is clearly different to your situation in that respect.

Hi narnia - what rotten luck.......

My mum (aged 90) was diagnosed last year and I have to say that I was 'filled with dread' - I somehow imagined that this was going to cause her great problems and would be hard to deal with........touch wood - this has not proved to be the case at all......she has fairly regular checks with the 'diabetic nurse' at our surgery, she has seen a chiropodist on several ocassions (there is a need to be extra careful not to 'nick' toes when cutting toenails), she has had an extra eye appointment and that's about it really :o

Hope all goes well for you x

Hi Narnia

Sorry to hear about your diagnosis - like Panders and Deb have already posted from a work context it might be useful to have a personal health care plan in place at work so that staff know what to look out for if you should go high or low and what to do / who to contact in the event of an emergency. Also useful would be a stash of what you need e.g, glucose tablets etc at work should you have a hypo or be a bit hyper.

My daughter's boyfriend has recently been diagnosed as having type 1 diabetes (he is 24) and must therefore inject insulin - one of the things he has found hardest is making sure he eats regularly during working hours to ensure his levels stay steady.

It is also quite useful if you have a trained "buddy" at work who could if necessary take your readings as sometimes - especially when you are learning to manage your diabetes - you can go high or low without recognising the symptoms yourself - I know with the daughter's boyfriend he will sometimes become quite truculent without realising that his behaviour has changed and we will test his levels to find he is well outside normal limits.

If you are the named person for Ofsted it might also be advisable to let them know of your diagnosis and what plans you have in place to ensure that it does not impact on your ability to continue in your role. I would however check this out with your LA advisor first as you know how it is with Ofsted - give them a reason for anything and .........

Best wishes and hope all goes well

My husband is type 1, has been for past 27yrs , but as long as you manage your diet, obviously not too much sugar xD and keep your appointments you should be fine :o

As for keeping biscuits handy in case of going 'low' I would strongly suggest either 'fruit pastilles or wine gums' these will enter your blood stream much faster and bring your sugar levels up.

Chicken

As for keeping biscuits handy in case of going 'low' I would strongly suggest either 'fruit pastilles or wine gums' these will enter your blood stream much faster and bring your sugar levels up.

Chicken

this does change with the type of diabetes , and you will find what works best for you, as carbohydrates also have an effect on the blood sugars and some type 2 find they need that as much if not more than just the sugars as it is longer lasting... all a case of finding what is best for you .. taking tablets does work differently to insulin .

Truculent is an excellent word to describe how a diabetic person might behave if their blood sugar levels are incorrect. It certainly describes our little girl on occasion.

On that basis perhaps I ought to go and get my blood sugar levels checked again (father and sister both have diabetes)
:o