Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Ey Funding Issues Over Parties / Events

trekker

Hi

Just wondered how others manage parties and events and get around the funding issue.

Basically we have to be open to children for 38 weeks...children can claim up to 15 hrs per week...our school year is 38 weeks funded plus 5 unfunded days when staff do INSET...staff are paid but we do not claim funding...

Okay now whenever we try to hold a group event like Christmas party / trip we always run into issues about how this works with the funding. Example being that on a friday in december we have discussed having a party to be attended by all children...obviously those already booked in on the session are funded / fee paying...but what happens to the others?

We have discussed whether

a) they are all invited but if they choose to come they have to pay to attend (so in effect every child pays or is funded for the session - those who have used up their funding allocation will be asked to pay fees)

b ) they are all invited for no charge (in which case funded / fee payers are paying for the party session which others get for free...)

c) they are all invited but parents of children not normally on that session HAVE to stay and so remain responsible for own children and are not charged.

d) we think about charging parents for inset days in future (even though this means paying / claiming for a day children dont attend) so that party / trip days are offerred free to all.

We have had this issue over and over so that in the end it just feels easier not to do anything!

How do others manage it?

WE have a similar dilemma and the option we go for every year is © the funded children on that day are there and cared for by staff - the others not due on that day are invited with parents and they remain thier responsibilty . Often parents of the children in on that day choose to attend also and thats fine, a bonus really as it frees staff up to do other things like help with food games etc. :o

We used to ensure it was a non funded day and worked from there...

we then did charge enough to cover the hire of hall and as small gift , funds paid for staff wages, fundraising paid for entertainer (we had an ex-parent who is a professional children's entertainer so charged us very little anyway.) parents provided food, we provided drink and all joined us when Santa came..

on a funded day we charged a fee for the non funded children to attend, but those who were receiving the funding for the session we did not charge anything.. but we had to keep ratios and not over the number registered or get permission from Ofsted and insurance for higher numbers.. and all sorts of things..

trips we had parents attend and pay towards the cost but again tended to have them on the non funded days..

We have it on a funded day.

'Non session' children are invited and asked to pay a small fee (approx £3) -the reason is explained clearly to the parents.

I actually prefer charging for the non-sessioners, simply because it puts a 'value' on the event and everyone that pays always turns up, rather than just being another 'free event' that may be appealing as long as a better offer doesn't come along on the day!!!

We do not ask parents to stay, we used too- but then realised the children are usually better behaved when they are not there anyway :(:(:(

We ask for X amount of parent helpers, and we stick to that number. These parents do the food side of things- only under the instructions/guidance of a staff member. They are given basic food hygiene guidance re allegies etc before the day.

We inform osfted/insurance of our plans and send RAs to Ofsted as to how we will cover the short perriod we will 'be over numbers' and how we will still meet staffing ratios during the duration of the party. Insurance have always been happy as long as ofsted are!!

Father Christmas always arrived at the very end- by which time all parents collect child and visit santa with their own child.

For us we just find the whole party a lot more enjoyable and realxed without the parents around. :oxD

I know I must be being really stupid here but how can you have a 'non funded' day if children are doing 5 days a week?

Yes, we would invite any child that didn't normally attend and charge them full fees.

We dont have parents, unless it's our Nativity and then that is only for 30 mins at end of session, but would have extra staff in for the day. If over your registration numbers you must inform Ofsted, even if you are still within ratio.

I know I must be being really stupid here but how can you have a 'non funded' day if children are doing 5 days a week?

Funding is for 38 weeks so a day over and above this.. so long as we fit in enough days each term it could be done in a number of ways.. usually in our case we kept to school term dates but they always had an inset on first day of term , sometimes 2 in September.. we opened this and closed last day of term in December for the party..

We used to have 'Christmas Week' instead of a big party one day. This meant that all the children funded or fee paying got a Christmas party and some got several.

Each day we;

Baked/cooked - made special biscuits / buns / decorated buns or biscuits made previous day / sandwiches / cheese straws - party food extras to go with normal snack

When we had snack laid the tables differently (one big party table)

Music / Movement - played party games

In the morning we would wrap up a pass the parcel with the children to play at circle time

We would read Christmas stories at big book time

Sing Christmas songs at music time

By having a little party every day we felt all the children got involved and we didn't miss anyone and they got less hyped up and over excited.

We were exhausted by the end of the week mind you :o

We ask for a small donation for the party to help pay for food, gifts etc. They pay or they dont, but we dont stop anyone coming if they dont pay.

At the end of the party the parents come in to see their child get the gift from Father Christmas and they can buy refreshments for a small donation too. Donations for tea, coffee, mince pies etc was better than setting a price we found we raised more that way.

mine is pretty much same as last. We invite all morning funded children to our party. Most come. we do not charge for children who do not normally attend that session. I have had a few in the past ask if they had to pay. I then charge two pounds each towards cost of food and entertainer. does not even cover entertainer but anyway it a good day. over and done with all together.

I think you just have to go with what works for you. there is always someone you dont please.

buttercup

Okay we stagger special days etc over the course of the year so everybody with us gets a extra day free as it were [ as we have no children presently doing five sessions.]

We charge a small amount for our Christmas Party, this helps towards an entertainer and food.

As previous post said i think you have to do whats right for your setting. :o

Thanks for all your replies...just wanted some ideas to propose to committee really...so I will share options with them.

I do really like the idea of Christmas week though xD

I think the thing we found fun was that the children got involved in the preparations ie the food and wrapping the parcel etc. There were loads of learning opportunities and of course masses of really good talking and listening. The children would talk about how they prepare for Christmas or a party at home and so that was always nice.

We never had an entertainer as they are often very expensive and not all children like them very much :(

Anyway me singing Santa go stuck up the chimney out of tune with actions was enough to entertain the children.....they did used to call me Silly Sue :o

• 1 month later...

we do it on last day children in, if it is not their day to be in well lucky them they get it free, all staff in (paid)

parent helpers, too usually those that help all year

we do the usual games, food, and end with all parents coming back for our nativity

the parents contribute £3 towards food and gift

We don't charge for the party, funded children are offered another session during the week - then can choose to do this or not, it's up to them. It just means we don't have the 'do we-don't we?' worry.

we make no charge for our party all ourchildren are invited. It is held on the last day of term during the session. Gifts are provided free from our coffers and are individual to each child. The food and drinks are provided by the staff who pay a small amount toward this (I think this year it amounted to about 2-50 each). We used to have an entertainer but since we now have a very young group of children this year we did fun and games ourselves including the old blowing up balloon rather badly trick which they all thoroughly enjoyed.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)