Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Ppl Music Licence?

Hi all

I have received an email today from my local PSLA.......just part of this reproduced:

During the summer the Alliance was told by PPL that pre-schools and nurseries may have to pay an annual licence of at least £100 if they wanted to play recorded music in their settings, unless they played only nursery rhymes.

This part of the PPL review is a consultation that ends on Friday 14th October. We would strongly recommend that all early years settings have their say.......

The consultation is at http://www.ppluk.com?Documents/downloads/S...ion%20Paper.pdf.

Hi all

I have received an email today from my local PSLA.......just part of this reproduced:

During the summer the Alliance was told by PPL that pre-schools and nurseries may have to pay an annual licence of at least £100 if they wanted to play recorded music in their settings, unless they played only nursery rhymes.

This part of the PPL review is a consultation that ends on Friday 14th October. We would strongly recommend that all early years settings have their say.......

The consultation is at http://www.ppluk.com?Documents/downloads/S...ion%20Paper.pdf.

technically this has always been the case....music like films are someone elses copywrited material and those using it to entertain the public etc have to pay for the privelege. Luckily for us we are in a community hall and the licence is paid for by the local council so we dont have to worry....unlike those of you in private settings etc. Its a bit like tv licenses..the day nursery i sometimes work at used to have a tv for those children staying late...but the couldnt afford the license so had to get rid of the telly when the local business which supported them pulled their funding for this resource. Incidently my eldest who has just gone off to uni despite being in halls of residence.....also has to have his own licence and those found sharing music through the wifi in the building....can have their facility withdrawn. Times are hard and big business always finds a way to make money at the cost of the small guys like us :o

xD:(:( What will we do now Sunnday - we have to have our fix of Y M C A and Superman! Looks like we will have to cough up :ph34r::ph34r:

:( :wacko: Have you been lurking outside my setting again! xD

Hi i can honestly say that this is one of the few instances when i am grateful we are in a Parish Hall, as they pay it yipee.! :unsure:

So....I'm thinking now......I'm in a Community building too.......so is this covered by the Entertainments Licence?

:o as Hon. Sec. for the building maybe I should know that!!! :rolleyes: Off to explore the Licence! ;)

xD:( Have you been lurking outside my setting again! :(

So....I'm thinking now......I'm in a Community building too.......so is this covered by the Entertainments Licence?

:o as Hon. Sec. for the building maybe I should know that!!! :( Off to explore the Licence! :wacko:

If not, you should respectfully suggest that it is at the next committee meeting!

humm interesting i've just had a look at this and it seems to me that under the " s34 copyright designs and patent act" it would suggest that if you are using music for the curriculum then you are absolved and as all our work is done following the eyfs than we may be ok...but the license for education is around £56 pounds not £100

humm interesting i've just had a look at this and it seems to me that under the " s34 copyright designs and patent act" it would suggest that if you are using music for the curriculum then you are absolved and as all our work is done following the eyfs than we may be ok...but the license for education is around £56 pounds not £100

so there shouldnt be swathes of EY practitioners being carted off to jail, chaining themselves to railing in front of their settings in protest etc or thousands of under fives marching on whitehall with emergent writing on their plackards?........ xD Shame really I was beginning to think it would be a way of empowering children and EY workers! :o

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Thought you might like to know that apparently music is NOT a valid part of the curriculum according to the licensing body!!!!!! They have graded my application as miscellaneous which is £120 + VAT, I queried this telling them that I was an educational establishment and should, therefore, come under the school charge of £56. I am now having to prove that we use music as part of the curriculum, so am currently writing them a nice long essay outlining all the ways in which music is used as part of the learning environment. Will keep you updated

Thought you might like to know that apparently music is NOT a valid part of the curriculum according to the licensing body!!!!!! They have graded my application as miscellaneous which is £120 + VAT, I queried this telling them that I was an educational establishment and should, therefore, come under the school charge of £56. I am now having to prove that we use music as part of the curriculum, so am currently writing them a nice long essay outlining all the ways in which music is used as part of the learning environment. Will keep you updated

:o:(:( Thanks very much for the info. max321 xD

Well I still haven't received an email form PLA or our EY dept or the LEA or anyone, so how would I know a licence was needed?

Shame there's not a forum dedicated to EY so we can all be informed of all the piffling little things. :o

This is the reply I received this afternoon after sending my 3 page explantion of why my curriculum needs recorded music:

'My colleague Staci Phillips has referred your enquiry to me as I have more experience in dealing with educational establishments and may therefore be able to clarify matters.

The schools tariff referred to on our web site is a charge administered by the CEFM who act as agents for PPL at Primary, Junior and High School levels.

The tariff clearly states the scope of its applicable licence holders and indicates that only ‘Nurseries, play groups or preschools run by a school’ can qualify.

If your nursery is private and not attached to a school then the ‘CEFM schools tariff’ is not applicable.

Moving on from this I can see that Staci has indicated the use of our miscellaous tariff for general background music requirements, in which she is correct.

Whilst PPL acknowledges the ‘early years foundation’ curriculum is exempt from charge you have indicated that recorded music is used in quieter activities such as lunch and reading time for which educational exemption does not apply.

PPL commonly issues its licence to nursery, pre-school and even childminders when music is used over and above the ‘early years foundation’ course.

If you would like to apply for a licence please contact me directly'

Clear as mud!!! why do nurseries attached to school pay less than private nurseries?

This is the reply I received this afternoon after sending my 3 page explantion of why my curriculum needs recorded music:

'My colleague Staci Phillips has referred your enquiry to me as I have more experience in dealing with educational establishments and may therefore be able to clarify matters.

The schools tariff referred to on our web site is a charge administered by the CEFM who act as agents for PPL at Primary, Junior and High School levels.

The tariff clearly states the scope of its applicable licence holders and indicates that only ‘Nurseries, play groups or preschools run by a school’ can qualify.

If your nursery is private and not attached to a school then the ‘CEFM schools tariff’ is not applicable.

Moving on from this I can see that Staci has indicated the use of our miscellaous tariff for general background music requirements, in which she is correct.

Whilst PPL acknowledges the ‘early years foundation’ curriculum is exempt from charge you have indicated that recorded music is used in quieter activities such as lunch and reading time for which educational exemption does not apply.

PPL commonly issues its licence to nursery, pre-school and even childminders when music is used over and above the ‘early years foundation’ course.

If you would like to apply for a licence please contact me directly'

Clear as mud!!! why do nurseries attached to school pay less than private nurseries?

I would take this tat so long as it is used for an activity with the children and not background music that no charge is due... I do find the reply quite clear and relevant.. anything other than directly part of the curriculum a licence is needed..

As a footnote to this thread I have just received an email that confirms that if music is being played as part of the curriculum then we are EXEMPT from needing a license, I cannot, however, play background music at other times such as lunch time or reading time. Phew, glad I got that sorted before forking out £120

Couldnt lunch be counted as part of the curriculum? PSED at the least or maths. Reading time is CLL and music can help some people to concentrate or maybe your book requires music. What about books that come with music?

Its a very loose exemption isnt it?

As a footnote to this thread I have just received an email that confirms that if music is being played as part of the curriculum then we are EXEMPT from needing a license, I cannot, however, play background music at other times such as lunch time or reading time. Phew, glad I got that sorted before forking out £120

Thanks for that! :o

Rea,

My argument exactly, I sent them a 3 page essay on the importance of music in all areas of early years, including EYFS links to music playing at lunch and reading time, but according to their criteria it is not exempt. Ridiculous bureaucracy, and at the end of the day are they going to send someone to check that I'm not playing music at the wrong times? I don't think so.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)