Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Autumn

this brings a smile to my face Hoglet ...some years ago i went to a training and this very subject came up...the trainer pointed out that on average children may repeat this sort of activity for several years in a row with very little variation (leaf prints in autumn colours etc!!) and what were they learning by doing this apart from a lack of creativity and diversity....i have never been able to bring myself to arrange this activity again :o though sometimes the children do it for themselves. so i can understand you looking for inspiration !

Yesterday we went black-berrying!!! On the way we found CONKERS and matched the leaves to the plant. We also found rose hips and their leaves, beech nuts and their leaves and next week we're going down the oakey road to find acorns. Haven't spotted the sycamore fairies yet but I can't wait. Next week we'll make collages out of all our found stuff. I want to let the children paint with blackberry juice. I want to print stars with cut apples. Use a drill to make holes in conkers to make battling conkers and necklaces.

Having grown up in Australia where Autumn isn't so obvious (were I was anyway), I find the rapid autumnal changes here absolutely amazing and exciting. Can you tell?

Honey

• Like 1

How about lots of autumnal found objects and just allow for placing and arranging - no glue or anything else, just a board or mat to arange objects on. Very creative, allows or thinking and choice making. If you want to keep it you have to photograph but it's a very cost effective activity!!

cx

We do a lot of this sort of creative activity - children do ask for glue several times, but eventually get the hang of it. We use small trays with black paper cut to fit inside it. I must admit I like to see the natural objects sorted on there, but equally the gems all sparkly look great.

We took photographs of the children's creative trays this year and stuck them to the front of mother's day cards, made them very individual.

Perhaps some of your parents are keen gardeners and might be willing to share some of their bumper harvests of vegetables if they have them. You could then examine the vegetables encouraging the children to use all their senses. Then perhaps make soup and/or use them for printing.

Guest charlies

we usually have an environment walk and talk to the children about the change of season and collect the leaves and sticks. We also use the sticks to make patterns using autumn colours in the paint and print, children really are interested in the patterns they have formed.

• 1 year later...

I found hedgehog number rhymes in a number sack on amazon that my class have really enjoyed, great for 'playing and exploring' and 'critical thinking'. 1 for adding, 1 for take away and also lots of measuring. I used it as stimulus for maths circle time inititally and then added it to number area, led to lots of problem solving. I now need another one!

http://www.amazon.co...49503941&sr=8-1

we went on a blackberry hunt - led to collecting sloe, damsons, conkers ,seed cases, eucalyptus bark and leaves and believe it or not a hen egg! the children took magnifying glasses to be nature detectives and clipboards , i down loaded lots of resources from woodland trust and children have loved poundind , mix juice to paint with , creating birthday cakes etc , we left collected items on table and they used playdough for some fab creations ,

• Like 1

Last week we made a bug hotel as part of our Eco-week, the children loved it! Not strictly an Autumn activity but is good to do in Autumn so that the bugs have somewhere to Winter. We also made simple bird-feeders, again explained to children that the birds need extra feed in Winter.

Bug hotel: take some plastic covered, mesh about 1 x 1m. Join 2 ends together to make a cylinder. Collect twigs and leaves (lots of!). Push the twigs through the mesh cylinder from one side to the other (like Kurplunk!) then put the leaves in. Put some sort of lid on top e.g. more twigs close together or 2 planks of wood.

I took pictures of the children doing this, then they described what they had done to the rest of the children (was lovely!)

Green Hippo x

• Like 1

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)