Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Social Care System

JacquieL

I've not had anything yet. I think she might be a bit fed up with me sending her things!

That's interesting Cait. Are you go to email it to Mencap?

It's paper copy, not email

Not sure what to do with it TBH, shall I post it to you?

Edited by Cait

I've had a reply too:-

Thank you for your email to Theresa May regarding the funding of social care, and the recommendations of the Commission on the Funding of Care and Support (the ‘Dilnot report’).

The way that we fund social care is, understandably, an issue of great concern to people. It is an issue that has been ignored for too long and the Government is determined to act decisively to tackle this problem. The Government is now looking at each of the Dilnot Report’s recommendations, and will work with stakeholders to examine the questions, and tradeoffs, that they raise. I know that Ministers are anxious to build a consensus, but it is imperative that the Commission’s findings are considered in light of the very constrained financial circumstances in which we find ourselves.

In the spring of next year the Government will publish a white paper setting out the next steps in reform, and I know that Ministers are taking the time to get this absolutely right.

I hope that is useful in explaining the Government's position.

Will forward it on to the email address you gave in your post Jacquie.

Excellent to get a reply. .. mind you I'll leave the 'very constrained circumstances' comment aside! The more people contact MP's about this issue the more they are likely to be careful about what they decide to do. Vulnerable people very often cannot fight for themselves, and need us to do it for them.

Well unless Cait's three page reply was typed in a very big font, I'd say it is very unlikely that my reply and hers is the same! :o

Ahem........thought you were on the naughty step! xD

I've had no response apart from the aforementioned automated reply to say it had been received.....hmmmm...could well be that my MP is sick to death of hearing from me :(

Ahem........thought you were on the naughty step! :o

I know but I am allowed access to my laptop for limited periods each day! xD

I wonder if there is a correlation between the length of response and the MP's party?

• 2 weeks later...

Have received this response today......

I completely agree that the issue of social care is hugely important. The way that we fund social care is, understandably, an issue of great concern to people up and down the country. In addition, the quality of social care services - and their long-term sustainability - are all important matters, and the Government is seeking to put in place plans for reform which address the long-standing problems in these areas.

I would like to reassure you that the Government is committed to publishing a White Paper on social care in the spring. Ahead of this White Paper, the Government intends to launch shortly an engagement exercise with all those interested in social care to help the Government answer the difficult questions we face. These questions will centre on the quality and sustainability of social care services, and about their funding in the context of the current financial climate and the report of the Dilnot Commission.

I will forward to Mencap Jacquie.....

I've had another letter from my MP!!!

I refer to my letter with regard to the Mencap/Age Uk's campaign for urgent action to be taken to fix our care system. I am enclosing a copy of the acknowledgement received from 10 Downing Street and will write again once a full reply is received

Dear.... (my MP)

I am writing on behalf of the Prime Minister to thank you for your letter of 7 September, on behalf of your constituents, regarding Mencap's call for urgent action to be taken to fix our care system.

Your letter is receiving attention and a reply will be sent as soon as possible

Mrs T Sampson