Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Bottle Top Art

Has anybody attempted bottle top art?

My friend has spent a lot of her own money in an attempt to brighten up her foundation stage aea.

Unfortunately the bottle tops haven't stuck well and she is looking for some advice from anybody who has has success.

Any ideas?

I can remember discussing this on here a while ago but finding the post eludes me.. will keep searching...

Cait.. the ones we discussed were pictures and murals using the plastic milk bottle tops... often for outdoor large art displays..

Thank you for getting back to me so quickly.

http://www.artgrange.com/michelleworkshop.html

Similar to the art work found here.

She aquired the wood and all the bottle tops for free and the children worked hard to help 'stick' the bottle tops but they aren't secure and need to be for when she puts the artwork outside.

Really keen to find a permenant$ way of fixing the bottle tops to the wood which is suitable for outside.

They look fab so far, but won't last with inquisitive nursery children :o

bottle top pictures

found the thread .. but the pictures and links to outside sites no longer valid...

not sure about attaching to wood.. is she making them herself... would tile adhesive suitable for a shower work?

think I used hot glue when we did a small one..

haven't heard of this before, but will definitely give this a go - just wondering whether to knock on all my neighbours doors to ask for help saving them, as we can recycle plastic here, but not lids!

sounds a great idea!

Quick edit to suggest you print one of the pictures and put your request on the back so folk can see what you want them for, that you want all colours etc

Edited by Cait

Guest tinkerbell

Hi

I have done quite a bit of bottle top art in my school.

First getthe parents to send in any plastic bottle tops...we saved ours in a wheelie bin outside.

Great job for reception to wash and sort by colour (we put them in those blue IKEA boxes)

I ran a club to decorate our friendship bench that has flower boxes on the end,so had 6 sides to decorate.

I asked the children to draw with chalk a square same size as the box side and then make a picture/pattern using the bottle tops.We took photos ,so we could replocate.We then stuck the bottle tops on with blue tack and then the children 1-1 with adult using a small battery operated drill,screwed the lids on ...this was really tricky because the wood was vertical,it would have been easier had the wood been flat on the floor.

I ended up going with my husband on the weekend to screw the tops on. The bench looked great and they lasted nearly a year but some tops faded really quickly.

We have also made huge pictures using bottle tops,again the children made their designs on large sheets of cardboard and drew guide lines then we used pva in a really thick layer.The bottle tops stuck really well ...this was done flat on the floor. The designs were used to decorate the reopening of the village shop and were a real wow.

All the left over bottle tops are sorted and collected and oonce we had 12 black bags full ,they went to a recycling company and we received £15

The eco club were delighted!

Tinkerbell

Edited by tinkerbell

Hi

I have done quite a bit of bottle top art in my school.

First getthe parents to send in any plastic bottle tops...we saved ours in a wheelie bin outside.

Great job for reception to wash and sort by colour (we put them in those blue IKEA boxes)

I ran a club to decorate our friendship bench that has flower boxes on the end,so had 6 sides to decorate.

I asked the children to draw with chalk a square same size as the box side and then make a picture/pattern using the bottle tops.We took photos ,so we could replocate.We then stuck the bottle tops on with blue tack and then the children 1-1 with adult using a small battery operated drill,screwed the lids on ...this was really tricky because the wood was vertical,it would have been easier had the wood been flat on the floor.

I ended up going with my husband on the weekend to screw the tops on. The bench looked great and they lasted nearly a year but some tops faded really quickly.

We have also made huge pictures using bottle tops,again the children made their designs on large sheets of cardboard and drew guide lines then we used pva in a really thick layer.The bottle tops stuck really well ...this was done flat on the floor. The designs were used to decorate the reopening of the village shop and were a real wow.

All the left over bottle tops are sorted and collected and oonce we had 12 black bags full ,they went to a recycling company and we received £15

The eco club were delighted!

Tinkerbell

ooo Tinkerbell that sounds fantastic!! Do you have any photos that you could share please - and I'm pleased you mentioned them fading - i'd not considered that side of it

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)