Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Manager As Chair?

Hi all need to prick your considerable brains again. I work at a committee led preschool and we are gearing up for our AGM . The current committee have all nominated themselves for their current roles HOWEVER the current chair has upset so many staff that they don't want her to continue. Is it possible for a manager to stand as chair under the PSLA constitution 2008? I have read it as yes you can as long as you are not paid for that role (chair) and have no vote in issues such as wages etc.

Can anyone tell me if this is possible as there is a strong chance the manager will leave as her position has become unbearable.

My understanding of the PSLA constitution is that once a AGM has taken place and at the first meeting the officers should be elected.

Of course they can be nominated and proposed by, but the actual vote takes place at this meeting.

As for a manager becoming the Chair it isn't something i have ever heard of before, and would suggest you give the PSLA a call for verification. They are very helpful and i'm sure will advise, or speak to your PSLA Adviser.

Good luck :o

The chair has to be voted in even if they were doing job last year..who does not want the chair the staff or rest ofthe committee? If staff not sure there is anything they can do. If committee then they dont vote that person in...would have to be someone else that needs to stand against them and get voted in. In fact all postions have to be voted for if more than one person stands for that position. All parents are entitled to vote even if they dont go on committee.

Need to check if constituuiton allows staff to be members of committee. If it allows then they would only be able to take on roles that are not officers ie general members

Guest jenpercy

As chair has casting vote, and gets to lead and steer the discussion, it would not be practicable to have a member of staff especially the Manager, as there would be so many discussions that s/he would have to remove themselves from. Wages, terms of employment, conditions AND very importantly, employee grievance. Don't thnk it leaves much that the Chair can discuss - which in my opinion makes it untenable, even if it were allowed.

I konw how hard it is to to find decent committee - I had to take a committee run setting to private.

As chair has casting vote, and gets to lead and steer the discussion, it would not be practicable to have a member of staff especially the Manager, as there would be so many discussions that s/he would have to remove themselves from. Wages, terms of employment, conditions AND very importantly, employee grievance. Don't thnk it leaves much that the Chair can discuss - which in my opinion makes it untenable, even if it were allowed.

I konw how hard it is to to find decent committee - I had to take a committee run setting to private.

i have to say that i disagree with this... as manager i would deal with all these situations...after all i am the one getting paid to MANAGE not to wait for someone else to make the decisions. You do have to watch that appropriate control measures are put in place so that defraudof the company is not possible.managing directors of companies deal with all these things...they wouldn't go to the board of directors about them would they :o

Thanks everyone..I spoke to my PSLA Advisor and a member of staff CAN be Chair of a committee..she said it's something the PSLA are debating at the moment..I find it incredibly frustrating that staff who have years of childcare experience have to be line managed by people who, on the whole, have no idea what we actually do or what Ofsted etc want from us. Thanks again for the replies

Thanks everyone..I spoke to my PSLA Advisor and a member of staff CAN be Chair of a committee..she said it's something the PSLA are debating at the moment..I find it incredibly frustrating that staff who have years of childcare experience have to be line managed by people who, on the whole, have no idea what we actually do or what Ofsted etc want from us. Thanks again for the replies

Thanks, that's really good to know!

And perhaps, whilst they are debating it, we should all be sending them our comments for their new draft!

I know that previously we have had 'managing directors' on the board and also managing (as the title suggests)! As manager I'm present at all directors meetings anyway and have such a great board that it's not like I work FOR them, they back me up, take my advice and any final decisions come from my recomendatios so has not been an issue. I can see that it would be beneficial to have a practitiopner on the board though, would be a voice for the team and make them more a part of the managing process, hmmmmmmm..........

• 2 weeks later...

This sounds a good idea to me having just been bullied out of my job after five years due to the demands of a voluntary committee being totally at odds with my job description and continually changing their minds about what they wanted me to do but never actually conveying this to me except occasionally through email either to tell me off or make more unreasonable demands!

They even accepted my resignation by email reply and totally ignored me on my last day.....then offered the role to my deputy who declined saying she was unable to do my job and after witnessing their rudeness and bad management did not even want to consider the role.....I have just completed my BA and am moving onto the EYPS and they could not see the value for the setting at all, so after being in our new building for just 6 weeks after years of pack away in a village hall, I have had to walk away.

But I walk away into a new job with a new employer who is really excited by my work and qualifications and has seen the work I achieved at the pre-school, so all's well........

:o

But I walk away into a new job with a new employer who is really excited by my work and qualifications and has seen the work I achieved at the pre-school, so all's well........

That's great news, lalaloulou! It is great that you can look on the bright side after that horrible experience. Good luck with your new job!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)