Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Glitter Use With 2-5 Year Olds

Silly question but we were on a course the other day and Glitter was mentioned, saying it should never be used with under threes.

We are a pre-school 2-5 years now I would never give glitter to a baby but wondered what your thoughts were on use. Should it be a complete No No? and also would sand not do the same damage. They were saying if it gets in a child's eye it could do perminate damage? Now it is clearly not our practice to leave something like glitter as a free for all do what you like with it policy :o (sorry its just I am fed up with these silly over the top can't take a risk so ban it issues)

Just your thoughts would be good xD before we end up with banning everything!!!!!

Have you had any child with big issues with glitter??

Sue

Edited by Bigsue

http://www.hse.gov.uk/myth/

I had a look on here but couldn't see glitter.

Who was it that told you you couldn't use it?

I was on H&S for managers on Thursday and the course leader was talking about using machete's and things in forest schools. I think if you have assessed the risks you can use anything - unless you can find something legal that tells you you can't!! (And unless you are part of a chain who seem to dictate as to what is appropriate)

I havent heard that before.

I thought the age guides were more to cover the manufacturer though rather than have any regulatory power. After all, a child who's just turned 3 wont necessarily be more able to keep glitter away from their eyes as an about to turn 3. Its about risk assessing the children in your care and knowing them. Common sense should prevail in these cases I think. :o

Well I have never had any problems with glitter.

Just recently I was on a course and a discussion of 'golden rules' took place. The speaker asked whether we had consulted children in the making of such rules and in particular the 'washing hands after going to the toilet' . She went on to say that an 'excellent' activity to explain why we wash hands is to explain that germs travel but can't be seen and at circle time we should put glitter in our hands and then shake hands with the child next to us, the child then shakes hand with the next child and so on around the circle. Everyone ends up with glitter on their hands!

Not something I intend to do but certainly no evidence of there being a problem using glitter!

Like you I wouldn't use with a baby but our 2yr olds have access to it. I would love to know the reasoning behind the No NO though

I work in the baby department and shock horror - our under two's use it!! I LOVE glitter ( apart from messes made in the carpet :) even then, you gotta love a bit of sparkle here and there! ) and have added it to heaps of different activities, playdough, sand, water, collage etc and have never had any problems. All activities are closely supervised of course though. However children in our 2 - 3 department have free access to glitter in the collage trays to use as they see fit. Would hate to see this stopped!

Think this could come from the fact that glitter used to be made from glass or even sand... hence causing lots of problems when in eyes etc..

these days it is usually made from plastics,

I always stopped children using it for something that may be worn like masks or hats - just thought it common sense to try to avoid the chance of getting into eyes..

loved this though when searching for what it was made from

How is glitter made?

I think the thing is that on the containers it says not to be used for under threes. This means that if there is problem then the blame lies with those who are using it with under threes, rather than the manufacturer.

I don't know about under 3s but I'm 33 and got glitter in my eye yesterday when we were making fathers day cards! All this H&S rubbish drives me mad! When I was little none of these rules applied and I've survived... and I'm quite clumsy too!

Think this could come from the fact that glitter used to be made from glass or even sand... hence causing lots of problems when in eyes etc..

I always stopped children using it for something that may be worn like masks or hats - just thought it common sense to try to avoid the chance of getting into eyes..

How is glitter made?

Brilliant Inge - made me laugh out loud!!

How is glitter made?

FANTASTIC INGE!!!! guess what I will still use it now just because of the wonderful places it comes from!

Sue

THANK YOU FOR YOUR REPLIES

I will still use it in my setting as I feel we risk assess things appropriately.

We use the Forest School approach in much of our learning and I am sure there are just as many risks there and we don't go into a panic.

Perhaps the ECER's tool for monitoring needs updating, this is something I am going to bring up if we are next audited using this tool! or maybe suggest a audit tool that allows creativty and risk for all our children!

I did have a lovely giggle and so did my hubbie at your replies he just said 'Whatever next' hes so niaeve something else WILL come up it always does xD:o:(

Sue

ITERS also doesnt like shaving foam for under 3s.

Its like most things isnt it, a teaspoon of common sense and a sprinkle of supervision is usually all that is needed.

Must admit, I don't like shaving foam at preschool, as I had an asthma attack the first time we used it... We've used it since, in the garden so well ventilated, & I stay well away! Had no problems with the children but we do keep an eye on them for reactions afterwards.

Gee...thanks for all that Maz. That's another half hour I'm never getting back.

Sorry, Honey. But just think: you'd have missed out on finding all about glitter lung! :o

:o I just HAVE to add my favourite quote about glitter from my lovely friend (I think it was first used in connection with educational reforms!)

"You can sprinkle glitter on dog s**t but it's still s**t!!!!"

It has become a legend within our group of friends xD

Nona

Edited by Guest