Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Ofsted Requirements Re L5 ?

i was informed today by a committee member, that from 2012 an ofsted inspector will not be able to give any setting they inspect a good or above if a level 5 or above is not employed in the setting.

we were recently inspected and given a rating of good - we do not emply any L5 staff and cannot afford to train anyone up, or employ someone at that level - does this mean the next time we are inpsected we will not be able to acheive a rating of good soley because we do not have a L5 ???

if anyone can direct me to some solid evidence of this i would be very, very grateful xx

I haven't heard of this fimbo, and I must admit my first port of call would be to go back to the committee member and ask where this information came from! Your local authority early years team should also be able to let you know if they've heard anything - I imagine they would be top of the list of those to be informed because they are charged with ensuring there is enough quality childcare to meet parents' needs. If this statutory responsibility is threatened by a lack of level 5s locally then they will need to develop some kind of strategy to ensure there are enough suitably qualified practitioners to go round!

I'd be surprised if this is actually true though, given that the aspiration to have the Level 3 as a minimum qualification for childcare workers hasn't actually been set in stone yet. It makes more sense to me to achieve that target than to push one person in each setting to gain a Level 5. Given that there are 7000 EYPs at the moment, I'd say it will take a long time for every setting to grow their own Level 5! That said, I have no idea how many individual group day care settings there are!

I stand to be corrected though, and I'll be interested to see what responses you get to your post!

i was informed today by a committee member, that from 2012 an ofsted inspector will not be able to give any setting they inspect a good or above if a level 5 or above is not employed in the setting.

we were recently inspected and given a rating of good - we do not emply any L5 staff and cannot afford to train anyone up, or employ someone at that level - does this mean the next time we are inpsected we will not be able to acheive a rating of good soley because we do not have a L5 ???

if anyone can direct me to some solid evidence of this i would be very, very grateful xx

News to me fimbo! :o - really can't see it myself......as Maz said - would love to know where this came from.....

all i can find is the ofsted 'guidance for inspectors august 2010' and this states is a relevant L3, i will give this to the committee and will ask the person who informed them of this where on earth they got their information from.

my understanding was that 'at one time' there were plans afoot to try to get a L4 in each setting -but my understanding is that is not yet a requirement.

sounds to me like one of those myths that has grown and got a bit out of hand...

at some point there was the need of an EYP in every full daycare setting by 2015 I think -

always a possibility that this has been interpreted and changed over time..

I would ask where she 'heard' it and from whom..

reminds me of one a few years back.. you will not get outstanding if you do not do the Ofsted SEF, which is totally untrue.

• 1 month later...

I've just completed L5 and we were told that that from 2014 each setting will need a L5 staff member or on a consultancy basis - I have contacts with 3 other local pre-schools none of which have a L5 so I'm getting my foot in the door for a consultancy role! :o

to add that those who have input from their LEA where the EYIO are qualified are covered I think!

Edited by Guest

I just wanted to say I am due to start my level 5 in September and my course is being funded by Student Finance Uk, and provided my salary never exceeds £15,000 (we are a term time only pre-school so not going to happen!) I don't have to pay the money back. Just thought I would mention it in case anyone was interested but needed the funding.

Kris

I have never heard of this either!! Did hear about the Level 6 being required (QTS or EYPS) requirement, but even that was for full day care first, then would only move to settings on 20 plus hrs per week, and has never included settings below 20 hrs.

But L5? No