Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Son Is Off....

Inge

Some will have followed how much my son has been through in the last 5 years... what with Uni, Cancer and all that goes with it... ( also in my blog)

well now comes the next stage, his move to Perth, Australia... with his partner Hannah.

They are at this very moment sat in an empty house with a few suitcases waiting for the landlord to come and check the house before setting off to Heathrow in my car!

He had this job offer fall in his lap just before Christmas, not a move they had even considered, but it all happened so fast and now they are going..

so this weekend we are going to Heathrow to spend Saturday with them and see them off on Sunday, we will miss them both but know in today's climate it is the best thing for them both.

and hey I get my car back, after 2 months without it!

Not sure what to say Inge. Its a sad moment but a happy one too. A friend of mine went to Australia about 25 years ago, I bumped into him about 3 years later when he was here to visit family and he told me he would never come back here. The standard of living was higher and the whole place was great. I think he was in Perth too. All that was before the internet, web cams, emails, mobile phones and skyp so I'm sure you'll hardly miss them at all.

Hope you have a really good day together tomorrow :oxD

Hi Inge......I too don't really know what to say.......but couldn't possibly read and run.......

SKYPE - it's a wonderful 'tool'......

Be proud that you have 'equipped' him so well that he can make this big move - how exciting for him - sending him and his partner my very best wishes....and a huge virtual hug for you :o

Aww, lots of love. I guess there's lot of mixed emotions and quite an emotional pull that he'll be so far away. I guess on the other hand it's an amazing symbol that he's well and beaten illness, and you've done such a good job in bringing himup that he has the confidence and drive to make his way in the world xx Have a lovely time together x

Wow, you should feel really proud of him and yourself for the exciting journey he is about to embark on and the person he has become.

Yes of course it will be emotional to see him and his partner go, but as others have said with so many ways of keeping in contact with them

both i'm sure this will help to ease the farewell.

Enjoy your weekend together and big hugs to you.xxxxxxxx

As others before me have said, WoW! A huge moment for you all. Enjoy Saturday as much as you can, and if possible begin to make plans for your next reunion - you could become quite a world traveller Inge, one son in America and one in Australia!

thanks.. We know that they need to do this..

We lived in Germany when I was there age , without all the benefits of communication we have now.. just a phone box on the corner, not one in the flat! So it felt just as far way..

Panders, Narnia is the one with a son in America.. but think a sister in New Zealand to visit counts as world travel.. when we can afford it and the time away...

What a milestone weekend for you all. I hope you have a lovely weekend together, and that any tears you shed on Sunday will be tinged with pride that you have such a capable and adventurous son!

You gave him roots and wings..... isn't that what we all strive for?!

Hold that thought through your emotional parting!

Nona

Oh gosh couldn't possibly read and run :o I remember posting when my son went to Sydney but he was only going for a year and my emotions were all over the place!

As I wept at Heathrow ( I was very controlled but with a golfball lump in my throat until my son started crying and then my floods came too!) my tears were such a mixture it's difficult to describe. Partly pride that he had the 'guts' to go, a little bit of self pride that standing before me was an independent adult capable of undertaking such a journey/experience but also perhaps a little selfishness on my part as to be quite blunt I wanted him to stay!! :(

Modern technology was fantastic for keeping in touch and suddenly I was 'counting the sleeps' until I returned to Heathrow for his homecoming.

I absolutely take my hat off to you and send you an enormous virtual hug. You are an inspiration truly you are. Have a fabulous weekend, take lots of photos. Someone said to me that I had given my son wings and now he was able to fly - think that sums it up really.

Look forward to hearing an update as and when you can xD

Perth is a beautiful city. I spent 5 years there many years ago and loved every minute. Have a wonderful weekend together with lots of tissues and photos.

I keep in touch with my family in Dublin all the time and sometimes I just need to see their faces so skype is a must.

Love and hugs to you all! :o