Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Fruity Ideas/songs

Hi

We have a group of around 3 children very interested in fruit/vegetables and growing etc. Does anyone have any ideas of how we can extend this further?

So far we have....

Fruity kebabs

Smoothies

Fruit printing

Planting seeds around fruit and veg

Does anyone have any more ideas or even some songs please?

Just quickly 'off the top of my head'......not songs but books 'The Very Hungry caterpillar', 'Oliver's fruit salad', Oliver's Vegetables'

Oh just thought of a song/rhyme.....

Five fat peas in a pea-pod pressed (closed fist)

One grew (pop up finger) two grew and so did all the rest (5 fingers up)

They grew and grew and did not stop

Until one day the pod went pop! (clap hands)

Any use?

Will keep thinking!

many stories around this.. enormous turnip springs to mind.. read and act out.. our children loved taking turns to help act out the story as we read it..

songs.. oats and beans and barley grow... big actions and participation in this

5 little peas...

or this version,

will return when brain is more in gear and I can remember them..

have you tried a forum search.. probably others have asked similar in the past..

If you know the song 'A pizza hut' (sorry folks, I know that those of you who DO know it are now stuck with it in your head) we wrote words to that with some great actions a few years back for the same reason

A pineapple, a pineapple (make a crown with fingers ontyour head)

A bunch of grapes (mime pulling grapes of yourself as if your were a bunch of grapes) and a pineapple (same as before)

(repeat both lines)

Bananas, bananas (make your body bend first one way then the other with your arms stretched above your head, palms together)

A bunch of grapes and a pineapple

Bananas, bananas, a bunch of grapes and a pineapple

Some broccoli, some broccoli (tree, but draw like child's drawing above your head, one hand going one way round and down and the other going the other way)

some brussels sprouts (waft hand behind bum - er um!)

and some broccoli

(repeat both lines)

Bananas, bananas (make your body bend first one way then the other with your arms stretched above your head, palms together)

A bunch of grapes and a pineapple

Bananas, bananas, a bunch of grapes and a pineapple

I guarantee you'll be exhausted!

:o Oh no, I'm now going to spend the weekend learning this Cait for monday, they love all my songs with a 'rude' aspect can't wait to waft my bum!!!

Absolutely love that Cait - I too will be learning that for Monday.

Loads of great ideas already, what about:

- Observational drawings using different media - using fruits/veg, also open and look at insides, talk about and draw

- Egg cartons are great for planting seeds - children fill the 6 compartments with soil, push finger in, plant seed, water and they have an easy container for carrying home too

- We just made Carrot soup this week with the children and it was fab - they learnt to peel and chop carrots, peel and crush garlic, we had a good look once it was cooked and then all watched it getting whizzed up. Most children wanted it at our lunch club.

tie dye - how about making dye from the vegetables

I went to a conference by the abc blog guy (alistair) the other day very inspiring and he suggested if you want to print with fruit/ veg you should cut it open and leave to dry out over night and then you get a better print and can see the veins ect more clearly.

love the song!

• 1 month later...
Hi

We have a group of around 3 children very interested in fruit/vegetables and growing etc. Does anyone have any ideas of how we can extend this further?

So far we have....

Fruity kebabs

Smoothies

Fruit printing

Planting seeds around fruit and veg

Does anyone have any more ideas or even some songs please?

I have a 'discovery desk' - a converted 1950's child's desk with lid removed. Each week I put a different fruit or vegetable in the desk (changed daily, of course). I have also added a two-way magnifier, knife and fork. The children are able to use all their senses to explore the fruit and vegetables; I cut the produce in different cross sections and also leave a whole piece. If you are concerned about spreading germs (yes, the children are encouraged to eat a little if they wish) - just think about playdough!

try this one...

we have anglicised it a bit so our banans grow then get peeled then get chopped and then.....!!!! well you'll get the idea when you see the song

WARNING...this song is addictive and you may repeat it all day!! :o

Guest lou73

use the artist Guiseppe Arcimboldo who makes fruit face pictures, give the children real fruit and veg and ask them to make their own faces.

lou x

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)