Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Colouring Pictures

Sorry Bridger, bad joke. However, whether it be LA, Ofsted or the Queen, sometimes you just have to do what you think is right and what is right for the children. Don't forget, we are the experts in early education as we are the ones who have done all the training and have all the experience.

Yes and with over 33 years in early years i think i have the experience and knowledge to underpin everything i implement in my setting,

and a colouring sheet will not be one of them.

The children in our provision have a wealth of opportunity to explore mark-making using their own creativity, not something so perscribed by an activity sheet. Use them if you will for a long car journey, but i think our provision should offer much more than that.

And my quib about EYA coming was a little tongue in cheek comment as i can clearly justify everything we do and feel passionate and confident enough to prove it to whoever comes to our setting.

Sorry accepted samwise 38. :o

Edited by bridger

Me too, we use them alongisde other mark making materials. just before half term we did a trial with some ben 10 ones for bys who would not normally go anywhere near mark making and this then led to a whole weeks activities around ben qo which the girls joined in too.

There was one particular picture of the ben 10 wach which we then used as a template for them to make their own watches which led to talking about time, we created a superhero rescue station in role play area with clipboards and pads to write down who needed rescuing ( in our case ) sleeping beauty , cinderella, a ladybird and a paramedic!!!!! the kids and us totally enjoyed it and it all came from one colouring picture!

ok been debating whether to have my say so here goes ...my philosophy only for your interest this is no critisism of anyone else!!! :o

we do have colouring sheets for the childrens use ....they are well used by my current group so i was thinking about why. They do not teach creativity ....you cant teach creativity only foster it but they do teach some art skills.Art is a learn skill ...form, perspective, colour /shade are all learnt skills. I am creative but not an accomplished artist. They do not sap creativity(sorry SO disagree with the chap from america) because they are not creative, they can only do this when used incorrectly as a form of occupation. i asked several children and colleagues what they liked about them the answer was almost always the feeling of accomplishment when they were finished and the picture looked complete so are they teaching concentration and completion? I have one child (just three!) who loves them she will spend ages (up to an hour!!!!) doing a picture ....she is acurate and uses mostly appropriate colours ...she concentrates hard with her tongue sticking out xD for the whole of this time...she is able to write her name and create representational pictures so her pencil control is fab for her age...if only all my children could do this! BUT she is also creative she can create in 2 and three d out of a variety of resources ...she is not imitating but imagining she uses the fine motor skills she has practised with the coulouring sheets to further her creativity.

ok philosphy 101 finished...(DUCK!!!!)

What a fascinating discussion.

We don't really offer these much at preschool, mainly I think because our leader is so keen to get away from the 'fluffy duck' thing that used to prevail. However ... my own dd has now moved onto Reception and she does loads of these (perhaps too many!) and she LOVES them. She also loves doing them at home - we bought a fab huge poster book with loads of large colouring in pictures that we do together. She adores finishing these off and will spend hours over it. Mind you, she also loves 'decorating' her walls which we have encouraged and which gives a stunning example of the development of mark making (she started that when she was about 2 years old and is now 5 years old and writing quite fluently).

I think there is a significant difference between mark making, i.e. 'writing' for meaning, and the pencil skills required to colour in these pictures. It's not really a mark making activity at all, but more a skills based one, i.e. pencil control and as finleysmaid says, the skill of stickability and concentration (which imho is very under-rated these days!). While a great philosophy, the whole child initated thing can tend to lead to children flitting from activity to activity rather than learning to go through the boredom thing that is required to achieve many things in life (i.e. learning self discipline). Ducks quickly under parapet :o

I would argue that there definitely IS an element of creativity involved, it's just in the way you use them. The children could be creative in their choice of colours, types of pen/pencil and also in the kind of patterns that they might include within the pre-printed lines. You could also be creative with them in terms of doing them as a collage, or adding glitter, or cutting them out and adding into a big picture, or whatever you fancy.

The other time I think they work well is when you're trying to link to a theme of some kind, as you can offer the children a variety of images to work with (in whatever way they like). For instance, images from other cultures, images of different animals or places, etc.

As with most things in education, it's how you use it, not what you use!

And having read that American blog, I just wanted to add that sometimes, in a primary class with one teacher and 30 children, there are times when you may need to give the children an activity that will occupy them without too much mess, while you focus on supporting some of the others who really need your help. It is not going to kill them to be asked to sit and colour for a bit.

I do think it's quite easy for us in preschool settings to look at things through fairly rose tinted glasses, with our ratios of 1 to 8 or less (we've managed 1 to 5 in my setting). There's a BIG difference when you have 30 kids and only 1 of you!

When I taught secondary English years ago, I was a big fan of 'private reading' on a Friday afternoon. And to be brutally honest it was as much for me (have a rest and do some marking) as it was for the benefit of the students.

I'm ducking, I'm ducking ... :o

Oh come on....everything in moderation ... we have some but also lots of mark making resources all around the room...for relaxation and enjoyment I loved colouring in as a child and still do...I dont believe it stifles creativity...who defines creativity? who dares to be so bold!

.......and we would never suggest a child 'sits down and colours in' its their choice - he seems to suggest that it has been used as a sort of punishment or a forced 'sit down' activity :o - when I studied yoga one important aspect of the concept from an early education point of view was the ability to learn from a young age to be calm, relax, breath, focus on a specific task, concentrate and be aware of quiet times being essential to replenish energy - when to be crazy when to be relaxed - balanced - I think we over think stuff sometimes. Colouring in ticks those boxes for some children -

I think this would make a really good subject for a research project don't you?

I agree! When I did my worksheet research I found that there wasn't really that much existing research - which made the literature review quite tricky!

What a great, well balanced arguement. At the end of the day it comes down to your own settings invividual views and ethos. However, I am sure whichever we choose, we are not actually doing the children any harm unless forcing them to colour.

I also find incidentally that children start off by colouring a picture and then adorn it liberally with their own designs, more so sometimes than those children would on a blank piece of paper. For some, a blank canvas can be a scary thing, "where do I start" and where do all the ideas go when presented with this situation?

Interesting thoughts

That's whats great about this Forum, a fantastic place to share suggestions, opinions, and then possibly make informed decisions.

On the funny side to this we had a visit from our local PCSO'S today with a police car, outfits to try on and guess what they left the children colouring sheets, ha. ha, ha. xD:o

I also find incidentally that children start off by colouring a picture and then adorn it liberally with their own designs, more so sometimes than those children would on a blank piece of paper. For some, a blank canvas can be a scary thing, "where do I start" and where do all the ideas go when presented with this situation?

Interesting thoughts

I totally agree with this.

As the art coordinator at my school, I would never suggest colouring sheets as part of an art lesson but if they are available to the children in the mark making area and maybe as a wet play activity for those who choose to use them I definitely think they can have benefits. Most of these have already been mentioned (pen control, enjoyment, satisfaction, quiet time etc.) but I'd also like to add that sitting and colouring in with the children can be a lovely relaxing time to encourage speaking and listening skills. I've had some really interesting chats with my children whilst colouring in, sometimes with the picture as a starting point for the discussion (maybe topic based) and sometimes just general chats about what they did at the weekend, what they would like to do etc.

One discussion sticks in my mind, initiated by a child colouring in a picture of an alien, about what it might be like to live on another planet. The 4 children sitting round the table ended up making up a fantastically imaginative story about a human going to venus and all the things he found there.

Colouring in may not be the most visually creative activity but we need to look at all the other skills that can be encouraged by it. Saying that they can't have colouring sheets seems to me just the same as saying they can't have cutters for the play dough or stamps for the paint or they can't have photos with examples of towers to build with the bricks. All these things are designed to help children produce a uniform outcome but this doesn't mean that they don't get anything out of the activity.

This is just my opinion and I can see others' point of view but I really believe that it's more about looking at what children can get out of an activity rather than getting hung up on how it might stifle them. I grew up colouring in pictures, as I'm sure did most of us on here, and we're all OK aren't we?!

Colouring in may not be the most visually creative activity but we need to look at all the other skills that can be encouraged by it. Saying that they can't have colouring sheets seems to me just the same as saying they can't have cutters for the play dough or stamps for the paint or they can't have photos with examples of towers to build with the bricks. All these things are designed to help children produce a uniform outcome but this doesn't mean that they don't get anything out of the activity.

This is just my opinion and I can see others' point of view but I really believe that it's more about looking at what children can get out of an activity rather than getting hung up on how it might stifle them. I grew up colouring in pictures, as I'm sure did most of us on here, and we're all OK aren't we?!

Oh absolutely! I have also had some fantastic chats with children whilst colouring! Another very useful skill they learn in multi-tasking, being able to colour and watch what they are doing and still chat with someone, to look up at that person briefly and then return to the same point they were. I know they do this doing other things too, but it's an easy opportunity to note who can do it

We don't have them, we use as already stated paper envelopes different media and materials, I don't like them much either.

but if you want them then use alongside something else

I actually love nothing more than to colour in my nieces colouring book with or without her but i still would not have them in my setting

Suer I hope you don't mind me saying but you say how much you and your neice enjoy the experience of colouring in together (or even you by yourself!) so why is this not an opportunity you feel you should be providing for the children in your setting? I'm sure you have at least some children who would never get this experience at home. Why is it that you won't have them in your setting? I'm not saying it's wrong or anything, just curious as to your reasons.

Of course I'm not saying to anyone that it is wrong not to provide them because everyone is entitled to make their own choice, but in saying "I don't allow them in my setting" "I don't like them" are we really any different to the parents and practitioners who say "I don't allow messy play" "I hate them getting dirty". Is it really for the children's benefit that we don't allow them, or is it just something that we've got a bee in our bonnet about? Indeed for a while I was reluctant to provide them in my classroom, but then I came to the conclusion that it was actually me just over-reacting to the NO WORKSHEETS! WORKSHEETS ARE EVIL! culture that has developed (which I'm not saying is a bad thing!) and that actually there was no harm in colouring sheets at all so long as you aren't forcing the children to do them.

Also can I just add that as a teacher it is a nightmare when they come up not being able to colour in neatly and not knowing how to take time over things and produce something to be proud of. I have one girl who colours and writes like she can't be bothered to control the pencil properly, yet she is capable of doing so, bright and wants to please. It's just no one has ever given her the range of experiences necessary for her to develop the idea of being neat and feeling proud of what you produce. Of course this is not one of the sole reasons I would advocate colouring sheets and indeed I'm not even saying they necessarily teach this skill, it's just something I've got a bee in my bonnet about and wanted to mention! :o

I agree kariana, obviously it comes down to us doing what we believe is best but sometimes I think people are pressured into believing things without really understanding why they believe it. I'm not or a second suggesting that anti-colouring in people are all wrong, just that sometimes we do/ don't do things without really thinking about why. Enjoy and achieve!! Lots of people have said they enjoy colouring in and it definitely gives a sense of achievement!

It's like all the over the top PC-ness. I visited a setting recently who were obviously so terrified of being judgmental that they sung baa baa woolly sheep! Some sheep are black, are we not allowed to name the colour of sheep anymore?? The song doesn't say that the black sheep is bad or good or anything... just that it has wool, which it does!!!!! Drives me mad!! I didn't ask why they were singing woolly instead of black but I can guess what the answer would have been if I had... 'well it's not very PC is it?!' WHY NOT????

Sorry, I've gone completely off topic here with my little rant! I'll shush now!

I visited a setting recently who were obviously so terrified of being judgmental that they sung baa baa woolly sheep! Some sheep are black, are we not allowed to name the colour of sheep anymore?? The song doesn't say that the black sheep is bad or good or anything... just that it has wool, which it does!!!!! Drives me mad!! I didn't ask why they were singing woolly instead of black but I can guess what the answer would have been if I had... 'well it's not very PC is it?!' WHY NOT????

Sorry, I've gone completely off topic here with my little rant! I'll shush now!

Funny you should mention sheep, we had a child recently (farmer's son) who at then end of the song asked "what sort of breed is that then? It's not Texel if it's black"

In my setting, as in some of yours. the children have a choice of materials in the creative area and that includes colouring in books and sheets.

No one has mentioned that it can be a soothing, relaxing activity for some children who may just want some quiet time .

I also find that my older children find it an ideal way to chill out and will choose to do this activity above others and just sit and chat with each other when coming in after school.There is no pressure on anyone to complete the picture they have chosen or even to take it home if they don't want to,sometimes just being able to enjoy doing it is enough to make it worthwhile.

Oh panders that so made me laugh :o as i was only thinking the same thing.

Not sure she will have a definitive answer to her original question though.

But lots of food for thought.

What was the original question???

Haha I was thinking the same too, I bet she didn't realise just how popular this topic would be! xD

Hi All,

Just a very quick question, do any of you have colouring pictures for the children to colour. Or are we ot allowed to do this. I have plenty of different coloured paper available but not so sure about pictures to colour.

Thank you Dorinda

This is the original question!

We currently don't but this thread has made me think why not?

As an adult led activity it would be an absolute no no for me and nor would I offer pictures to colour 'on their own' but we put all sorts in the mark making area and I think pictures to colour might add a new dimension.

A favourite with our children is junk mail, they love filling the 'details box' attempting to write something in each of the tiny boxes, they also colour the boxes sometimes and enjoy making a pattern.

I don't even remember deciding not to have colouring pictures it's just kind of never happened but I will be interested to see what happens when i had a few to the different coloured/shaped/lined/plain paper on mondy!

Very interesting discussion and great to see that contributors are happy, polite and open to agree to differ with each others various viewpoints. :o

I recall having a similar debate when I had my preschool, as the owner I didn't agree with colouring sheets for many of the reasons given, yet my deputy, who had as many years experience in the field as I had did want to provide colouring sheets. When I was absent she introduced them into the setting thus our discussion on the ethos of such provision followed.

I then suggested that we appraise the actual images the colouring books / sheets provided for the children. We found that they portrayed stereotypical ideas, boys were often drawn as boisterous, angry, girls all smiles and 'pretty'. Perfectly proportioned body forms with defined waists, slim legs, etc.

I asked, where are all the different sizes of the body form? Where are any disabilities portrayed? Do all girls have long hair and bunches or plaits? Do all boys wear baseball caps and play at fighting or sports? The animal pictures tended to be from mainly one view point, side view with head to the left, tail to the right- do all animals always stand this way? Pictures of people from other cultures were particularly stereotypical. Flowers all stand up straight with a uniform eight petals all sticking out symmetrically from the perfectly formed centre circle, How many flowers look like that in your garden?

As for skills of colouring in, by providing a picture to colour are we not saying that we don't value the childs ability to place lines on a paper, in whatever form they choose, to then colour in as they choose. Or are we not valuing their marks if they don't depict a certain form to colour in?

Some may say that pictures of objects, animals etc that children have never seen is useful to increase their knowledge of such things, yet for me, at preschool age, it is the concrete experiences, what is relevant to the child that counts. If a child has never seen a Zebra, what is the point of colouring one in? Is this the most relevant way to learn the 'Z' sound maybe? I don't think so (especially as there is not much to colour in a black and white printed Zebra).

I don't remember having colouring books as a child, I do remember spending hours carefully drawing lots of loops, joining the start mark with the end of my line and then colouring in all the spaces, having a sense of achievement with the completed design when finished. I remember making up my own rules such as not to have the same colour in adjacent spaces, or filling the spaces with stripes and dots instead of block colour.

I compromised with my deputy and agreed that she could provide colouring pictures as long as she had evaluated what 'hidden' message each one gave to the children and that she evaluated whether the children could or could not make their own representation of any given subject she wanted to use in printed form. After a few weeks and using the criteria I required she came to me and said she couldn't justify the need for any printed pictures that she assessed.

All the things (as previously described in other posts) the children could experience using colouring books or printed pictures we found they could experience by other means, without the risk of setting stereotypical views, devaluing the childrens own abilities to represent their experiences or imaginative thoughts, and saving tree's as well.

Peggy

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)