Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Any Thoughts?

One of my members of staff has decided she's going to get her lip pierced this weekend. I've kind of pulled a face and asked if she thinks it will be safe around the children. She's said it's no worse than an earring in that respect. Has anyone any thoughts?

Trying not to let my personal feelings of a 'professional look' cloud what I say to her

"Oh dear" was my initial response which isn't exactly helpful.

From a professional point of view could it come under some sort of dress code for staff? We have 'rules' about jewellery but to date the issue of body piercings hasn't really arisen. We do have one member of staff with a tongue stud but it isn't visible and none of the children have ever commented.

I think from a safety point of view a lip piercing is more of a risk than an earring but I guess it depends what sort of piercing ( I have visions of a ring through her lip?)

Cait I am so sorry not to be helpful, you are always so quick to respond with your welcome words of wisdom to so many of us and I would love to have a magic wand and come up with just the answer you are looking for but for now I will keep thinking :o

I guess the first question I want to ask you is what you're worried about? Whose health and safety are you concerned with? Your staff member is probably right in that the lip piercing is probably no more dangerous than the ear piercings, although maybe in the initial period she might be especially sore if she gets hit by some flying toy or other. Presumably that's a risk she's willing to take. My eyes are watering just thinking about it!

I'm not sure I equate professionalism, or lack of it with piercings and I'm not sure there's much you can do about it if she decides to get her lip pierced. As Geraldine says if there's something in your policy then you could ensure she meets that, but ultimately I think this is one of those things you might feel uncomfortable with but are unable to change. I'm not sure there's anything you can say to her, except that perhaps you think a lip piercing working with children might be riskier than she might think, and has she considered it carefully?

And maybe I'd get her to sign some kind of disclaimer to say that she understands the risks and agrees not to sue you if she gets it caught in some piece of equipment or it gets pulled out by a child! :o

Good luck - if nothing else it will give the children something to talk about, and maybe some material for a 'we're all different' topic!

Hi Cait,

I'm of an age now where I'm starting to think thoughts like 'look at the young people of today, what are they like?' Whenever I do, I try to remind myself of a wonderful quote from George Bernard Shaw:

"It is all that the young can do for the old to shock us and keep us up to date."

To young people nowadays, piercings are just something completely normal, not shocking at all. I would probably have the same reaction as you (and be aware that some parents might too) but I wonder if we are just showing our age?

As the others have said, if it's not a health and safety issue, and it's not already in your staff handbook as something that is not allowed, then there's probably very little you can do. On the positive side, I suspect the children will be fascinated!!

Hi Cait,

To young people nowadays, piercings are just something completely normal, not shocking at all. I would probably have the same reaction as you (and be aware that some parents might too) but I wonder if we are just showing our age?

Just had to comment on this one... not just the young decide to have piercings... I had a 50 + member of staff have a nose piercing once.. only to be follows by the 40 + one as she thought it looked so good! which was then followed by the tattoos...

I did a disclaimer type thing.. but the stud was very small in each case and they deliberately kept them small when at work.. so much so the children often told them they had glitter on their face as that is just what it looked like!

I did not have any concerns - may not be suitable in many places but for the amount we paid and all the other stuff we throw at the staff felt it was not worth causing an issue about.. Parents did not worry, but many had piercings so just took it as normal!

I wonder what sort of judgements are made about people who have facial piercings.

So many people have piercings these days that they feel pretty normal to me and certainly not something I would worry about. I know there are employers who don't like them but I am genuinely curious as to what message they think a facial piercing gives out.

I speak as a totally non-pierced person :o

Just had to comment on this one... not just the young decide to have piercings... I had a 50 + member of staff have a nose piercing once.. only to be follows by the 40 + one as she thought it looked so good! which was then followed by the tattoos...

Wow you have cool staff!!

Remember when it was only punks who pierced!!

Gosh I do feel old.

Hi Cait - to be honest and not at all 'PC' my initial reaction was.......'oh, I wouldn't like that' :o

But I do acknowledge that is just my age and personal preference.......

Don't think that there is much you can do about it.........parents are, I suppose fairly young........

Hi Cait

My policy states that only a small nose stud and one pair of stud earings are permitted to be worn. Staff get away with tongue piercings as long as they keep them discreet. I have quite a few staff with facial piercings, eyebrow, lip, cheek and chin??! All of which are removed before they start their shift each morning.

I had a pair of earrings ripped from my ears by a child during play, about 15 years ago, splitting my ear lobes, which have never healed. Normally i just show them to staff to demonstrate the dangers and that is enough for them to understand the health and safety aspect!!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)