Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Tea Towels

i wonder if i have missed something! one of my team was on a course the other day and the subject of tea towels came up. all in the room said they don't use them as they are not hygienic. the tutor was saying that they shouldn't be used because you can't tell if they have been used by others and they may not be washed properly? well i wash all ours including the towels at 60degrees and change them daily or more if needed, we have a dishwasher on site (i know we are lucky!) so not much washing up or drying has to be done anyway. my question being does anyone else still dry up using tea towels or is this not acceptable anymore?

We use teatowels, we have loads and have a fresh one (sometimes two) for each drying up 'episode'. These are then taken home and boil washed along with the dishcloths every day. They are dried in 'high' in the tumble dryer and I'd vouch for their cleanliness. I have heard that it's more hygienic to allow things to air dry - but if there's flies about I'd rather things were washed, dried and put away

We are much the same as Cait, except I use J cloths to wash up with, cut one in half and then throw that away at the end of the session. We use "pink ones at the sink" and blue ones for the loo, and then paper towels to wipe down tables with dettox where the children snack.

Love the 'pink for the sink', 'blue for the loo' idea. I'd let them eat mud if I had my way :o but our staff do similar to Cait.

I reckon we are storing up troubles for the future which all this cleanliness, but we do what we are told (mostly). xD

i'm so glad to hear that you all are of the same thinking as me, the trouble is you hear these things and then need to make sure your not the only one that thinks like that!!!! i'm very happy with using them and agree that we are too clean!

my eldest now 17) came in from the garden aged 2ish covered in mud with a half eaten snail in his hand he turned out alright from eating dirt and goodness knows what else!!! THANK YOU for your reassurance I LOVE THIS FORUM :oxD:(

Love the 'pink for the sink', 'blue for the loo' idea. I'd let them eat mud if I had my way :o but our staff do similar to Cait.

I reckon we are storing up troubles for the future which all this cleanliness, but we do what we are told (mostly). xD

I don't doubt that we may well be storing up trouble for the future, but as I say to the staff, what you do at home and how many of your family you might kill off because of it doesn't matter - but in a group situation we have to tow the line.

Not quite sure we do have to always tow the line. How high, how low, sometimes just sometimes we have to say to the powers that be that we are mindful of....but we do it this way because........ One box does not necessarily fit all.

Sorry rant over, got to dash off to scrub tea-towels, ha ha :o

Not quite sure we do have to always tow the line. How high, how low, sometimes just sometimes we have to say to the powers that be that we are mindful of....but we do it this way because........ One box does not necessarily fit all.

Sorry rant over, got to dash off to scrub tea-towels, ha ha :o

Oh Bridger, don't get me wrong - I'm all for rowing our own boat but within a group care situation we must have good hygiene practice or we could spread infection so easily - whereas at home how we deal with cleanliness in the main only affects our family.

I certainly subscribe to kids getting mucky and not worrying about it, and I don't scrub surfaces to within an inch of their lives etc. we just have a duty of care and within our own group every adult's understanding of what is clean and what is not and what is best practice etc. is slightly different - but if I set a minimum bench mark of what should be done, at least they all understand that and follow procedure.

Oh Bridger, don't get me wrong - I'm all for rowing our own boat but within a group care situation we must have good hygiene practice or we could spread infection so easily - whereas at home how we deal with cleanliness in the main only affects our family.

I certainly subscribe to kids getting mucky and not worrying about it, and I don't scrub surfaces to within an inch of their lives etc. we just have a duty of care and within our own group every adult's understanding of what is clean and what is not and what is best practice etc. is slightly different - but if I set a minimum bench mark of what should be done, at least they all understand that and follow procedure.

Couldn't have put it better myself! :o

Agree panders i suppose it may require more consideration if others see hygiene or standards of hygiene practice, different than those expected whilst caring for others or as defined within your setting, i just feel good old common sense and a spoon full of modelling good practice should prevail and we sadly seem to have lost it.

Just don't get me on to the conkers saga ha ha :o .

Well I did Food Hygiene last week and was told -

paper hand towels in kitcheh for HANDS very important.

Tea towels for dishes -changed regularly same with dishcloths.

Paper roll for wiping surfaces good idea -but Jcloths ok... but again changed regularly.

All ours are boil washed and I am fussy about how they are 'transported' once clean. They must be put in a clean (not recycled) bag when returned.

All ours are boil washed and I am fussy about how they are 'transported' once clean. They must be put in a clean (not recycled) bag when returned.

We too used the t towels boil washed etc - and had a cloth bag to carry them in which was washed with them so they always came back in a clean bag..

Inge