Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Chicken Pox

Has anybody else had a lot of children go down with Chicken pox.

We had an outbreak a few weeks ago with a few children and then another outbreak middle of last week with quite a few more children going down. It is an airborne virus so nothing much we can do about it - unless anybody knows differently.

Some parents aren't happy, otherwise happy -

Some are fine and don't mind their child getting it whilst they are young. Others are obviously not pleased at having to take time out from work, but what else can I say but they have to be away for 5 days as per guidelines.

You know how it goes, some parents blame the nursery for everything, others just take it in their stride. It's not a notifiable disease and just one of those child hood illnesses.

Funnily enough we never had any children off at the beginning of the year when other nurseries where suffering.

we always found it went in cycles .. one child or group would catch it and as it is infectious a few days before the rash appears the next lot would start incubating ready to be off in about 2-3 weeks which is the incubation period.

nothing can be done to prevent spread, but one year we did have so many go off with it we asked parents if they would be happy if we took the children once they were feeling better and had no temperature.. we had no parents complain and had children running around covered in spots.. proviso was that if we felt child could not cope we would call for them to be collected.. most had it mildly so were not obviously unwell just spotty..

Inge

we always found it went in cycles .. one child or group would catch it and as it is infectious a few days before the rash appears the next lot would start incubating ready to be off in about 2-3 weeks which is the incubation period.

Inge

Absolutely ....... I should have been clearer in my response.......the one case was right at start of term so ....would have expected more by now - but no - very odd! xD

As for your parents Sheila - I don't know what to suggest.......it's all part of having a child - isn't it?! :(:o

Interested in your '5 days' - I say that they can't come back until all spots are 'crusted and dry'........so is that 5 days from when last spot 'erupts' or 5 days from 'onset'.......

Yes - i agree with upsy daisy.

We have had cycles in the past and this is a time of year to get it (& easterish as well) - isn't it to do with change of seasons ?!

I too am interested in 5days. I say until last spots has scabbed over - we've had many scabby children attending - parents need to know that once a child has scabbed over, they are not infectious.

The 5 days bit would appear to come form the HPA (guide on infection control in schools and other childcare settings) updated April 2010. If you google HPA and then search theiir site for infection control, schools you'll be able to print the guidance.

So yes, it's 5 days from onset, not 5 days from last spot and no requirement any more for scabbing over.

Edited by eyfs1966

So yes, it's 5 days from onset, not 5 days from last spot and no requirement any more for scabbing over.

hmmm...... think I'd be happier with the spots to be scabed over though.

We're waiting for it to arrive!! - we seem to have had a lots of 'under weather' children for the last week or so, none of whom have had chicken pox yet.

Chicken pox is all over us like a rash :o - third case this term - we usually get a bout of it about now and then you can almost guarantee another smaller bout near Xmas just after you have "picked" your Mary, Joseph and 3 Kings for the nativity - if you still do one!

xD:( :(

Guess what!

Did you guess?

Yes, we have another case.........she arrived this morning, mum said "can you have a look at these spots".........bye now! :(

Back to the 5 days - hmmmm - spots 'come out' over quite a few days - so think I will stick to my "when spots are all scabbed over" - apologies to HPA! :wacko: :o

Chicken pox is all over us like a rash :o - third case this term - we usually get a bout of it about now and then you can almost guarantee another smaller bout near Xmas just after you have "picked" your Mary, Joseph and 3 Kings for the nativity - if you still do one!

Just a thought - are they all first borns - I often think if we have a high number of siblings rather than first borns we get less chicken pox because they've already caught it from the first borns in the family

Just a thought - are they all first borns - I often think if we have a high number of siblings rather than first borns we get less chicken pox because they've already caught it from the first borns in the family

Good thinking Batman....er - sorry I mean Panders! :o

We have had an outbreak of pox in the last few weeks, it seems to be working it's way round our room. All our children are very understanding luckily.

But was us strange is that it appears to be getting some children twice (although I believe you can only get pox once and then shingles???) We have had a couple of cases where children were off, came back and are off again, both said to be with chicken pox.

I don't quite understand it, if the first outbreak was the real thing or if it is possible to get it twice :o