Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Sending Out Policies

mps09

Just wondered what everyone else does....

We've just updated our policies and now have a whopping 45 pages....

In the past these have been photocopies (really tiny) and given to each new family... now I know that no one every really reads thems and it just seems a waste to send them to everyone.

Would it be acceptable to issue a list of the policies available and where they can be obtained?

Perhaps include the SEN, Equality, complaints, etc. that we HAVE to hold.

Any views gratefully received!! :o

Thank you.

I'm going to turn them all into pdfs and put them on a CD for every parent (I asked at the end of term how many of them would like an electronic version). I'll also make up a few packs to hold in nursery for any new parents who don't have access to a PC.

I think it is important for parents to have access to the full pack of policies so that they are able to answer their own queries whenever they need to.

Maz

put them on a CD for every parent

Maz

Thank you for such a quick response! that's a great idea to put them on a cd - but how do you turn them into pdf's? is it easy?

Thanks,

We have a folder in the hallway that is available all the time and parents can take home - although none of them have in the last 18 months! I regular send a copy of the behaviour, fees and a couple of other policies home. We have a website and facebook page and they are all on there too :o

Our ops plan which is out daily contains all our policies and parents sign admissions contract to say they will read them. We send out a full list of all our policies and give out one or two key ones in our new starter packs.

We are however working on a website and toying with the idea of putting them on there

We do a combination of the above - the Inclusion/Safeguarding/Curriculum/Health and Safety go into the parent packs all parents receive, we ask on settle sessions if the parenst would like copies of all policies, and if they have access to email/a pc whether they would like the pack mailed to them or on a disc. The parenst who don't have a pc are offere paper copies or pointed in the direction of the policy file in reception as they choose. Does save lots of paper doing it this way :o

I think I'll upload ours to the website. Does anyone know if I'm allowed to do that as they are primarily the PSLA ones, or would I be infringing the terms of 'sale' - must check before I do that!

I'm going to turn them all into pdfs and put them on a CD for every parent (I asked at the end of term how many of them would like an electronic version). I'll also make up a few packs to hold in nursery for any new parents who don't have access to a PC.

Maz

What a brilliant idea - I am going to 'steal' that one! :o

What a brilliant idea - I am going to 'steal' that one! :o

and me - though I'm still not sure ho to turn it into pdf..... I doesn't give me the option in 'save as'

Any ideas?

Thanks for all the replies!

and me - though I'm still not sure ho to turn it into pdf..... I doesn't give me the option in 'save as'

It might depend on the version of word you're using as to whether there's an option to save as a pdf (assuming you're using word) but I'm pretty sure there's always an option to 'save as'. In my version of word I click on the 'start' icon at the top left of the screen, but in older versions I think you had to click on 'file' and then select from the drop down menu.

Maz

I think I'll upload ours to the website. Does anyone know if I'm allowed to do that as they are primarily the PSLA ones, or would I be infringing the terms of 'sale' - must check before I do that!

Mine are PSLA based too - I have come across others on the net which seem to be as well but I hadn't thought to query permission! Let me know how you get on

I will be putting mine on the website too at some point, and my personal view is that the PLA's copyright would be breached if you were supplying the policies to others to customise for their use - such as if you were to upload them onto the Forum for example. However the PLA would actively encourage you customise and personalise the policies so that they accurately reflect what your setting does, and then to share your policies with parents as widely as possible.

I'll be interested to see what they tell you, Cait!

Maz

I have the main PSLA ones on our website for parents to view. I think if you have bought them you should be able to do what you want with them.

Like others I have seen policies on Pre-school websites, which is why we put ours on the web.

I also have a pack which I try to get parents to read on settling in visits.

Our ops plan which is out daily contains all our policies and parents sign admissions contract to say they will read them. We send out a full list of all our policies and give out one or two key ones in our new starter packs.

We are however working on a website and toying with the idea of putting them on there

We have put ours on the website and parents are directed to this when they fill in their registration forms, we give them a choice of a hard copy or reading them on the website. We also have them on the parent table if they want to take them away. However I would not like to bet on how many actually read them!! Before signing the agreement.....

Ours are on the website, my son has put them on and somehow made it so that others cannot print or save them themselves, they are read only.... not sure how he has done it though, its all beyond me....

[yeah!

Thanks everyone ..... and Happymaz - have now successfully saved it as a PDF document. I had to download a converter though... I am so NOT technical but I managed it!!

:oxD:(

Got so excited I forgot to add...

I will be interested to see the response about publishing policies on the internet.

I would have thought that as long as you are advertising the fact that other can download and use them - then you haven't breached copyright - but anyone downloading would do....

complicated stuff!

Ok, a very nice antipodean lady at PSLA says we can pot the PSLA policies on our websites as long as they are personalised to our own settings and not their actual ones.

Sorted. Guess what I'm going to be doing today!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)