Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Bumblebees

Cait

All done and voted in a couple of other categories too. Think it's the mix of capitals and lower case together with their squiggles that makes it confusing as to what is the code and what isn't. (yes I got it wrong twice)

Nicky Sussex :oxD

All done here as well.

Did you know ... scientifically speaking, the bee should not be able to fly (i.e. ratio of weight of body to strength of wings). They are magical creatures, I especially love bumblebees.

If you ever see a bee apparently exhausted on the ground, drop a tiny bit of honey in front of it, it will sup the honey and then gain enough energy to fly again. The same thing works with butterflies too.

And while we're on bee facts, did you know that scientists estimate that if all bees died out, the human race would only live on for about 3 more years.

All done here as well.

Did you know ... scientifically speaking, the bee should not be able to fly (i.e. ratio of weight of body to strength of wings). They are magical creatures, I especially love bumblebees.

If you ever see a bee apparently exhausted on the ground, drop a tiny bit of honey in front of it, it will sup the honey and then gain enough energy to fly again. The same thing works with butterflies too.

Ooh I was told you should never give them honey in case it contained the virus that kills them. I was told syrup. Can anyone tell me the right answer? Steve - where are you?

Thanks Cait - good cause IMHO! :o

You're right - depending on what sort of honey you give them. If you've bought it from a local source it's not too bad, but a lot of the commercially available honey is mixed from various sources from abroad (a bit like the difference between a single malt whisky and ordinary blended scotch) which makes it much cheaper to produce. But it also means that it's quite likely to include, for example, spores of various diseases such as European Foul Brood. This can then be transferred back to the hive of the bee you've given it to, so it's not good practice, although I know a lot of people like to see the way a bowl of honey can quickly attract a whole bunch of bees.

By the way Suzie - there's no evidence Albert Einstein (who it's attributed to) actually came up with the quote about humans only having 4 years to exist if honey bees died out (desperately trying to avoid sounding like a know-it-all here).

• 2 months later...