Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

For Those Of Us Not Yet At That Certain Age

Ive just read the wise ladies thread and wanted to do one for us not so wise yet ladies, so here goes ...... any one remember when they got their copy of smash hits!!! the badges, the song words which we learnt like there was no tomorrow, oh god and i remember the poster of Phillip Schofield i had on my wall when he did going live!!!!!!!! :o

HAHA - you young whippersnapper you! Song words? playing the record over and over and writing them down, then later, playing the cassette and stopping and starting it! Occasionally 'Jackie' would have song words in!

As for Philip Schofield - he was in the 'Broom cupboard' with what'sisname

GORDON THE GOPHER!!!!

Edited by Cait

I knew if i said John or Paul you would have said Ringo or George!!! :o

Well I am a member of the awkward squad. xD However I would really have preferred George, honest. He always seemed to have that magical, mystical quality of a man that was so much more than you saw on the surface.

However this is all with hindsight of course - Beatlemania was just a bit before my time!

Maz

Oh for sure! Beatles? were they like Adam and the Ants?

Ah now Adam Ant! The first Mr HappyMaz and I used to dance to them a lot in our youth. We have an ant problem in our garden and youngest son went to tread on one I suddenly found myself reciting the lyrics to 'Ant Music' at him. :o

Move over ladies - you've got your own thread!

Well done jules01!

Smash hits, you betcha!! Fast Forward too (I had a Fast Forward sticker of Philip Schofield on my tv remote control!) I also bought Look In magazine too. I had a Gordon the Gopher puppet - loved it!

Penny Crayon - the Louie of its day! And let's not forget Happy, Sleepy and Dumpy - keep it a secret now please :o

My additions: Pigeon Street (coo coo), Henry's Cat (Who was Henry???), Sh sh sh Shoe People, Thundercats, Macgiver, I gotta throw in Happy Days too!

Ahhhhhhhh memories

ppp xD

and this seems to have been hijacked by "those of us of a certain age" :o

Beatles were a bit before my time... now Rolling stones on the other hand... along with Procal Harum, and Status Quo..

Elton John was starting out.. saw him at a local converted cinema.. in those days they had no seats on ground floor, only circle.. and had concerts in them... no multi-screens just the one large space... now I should return to 'our thread' and leave the toddlers to it!

Inge

and this seems to have been hijacked by "those of us of a certain age" :o

Yes well when you get to my age it's hard for us to see properly so we misread things, and then forget what it was we read anyway. Long term memories not too bad though!

Ive just read the wise ladies thread and wanted to do one for us not so wise yet ladies, so here goes ...... any one remember when they got their copy of smash hits!!! the badges, the song words which we learnt like there was no tomorrow, oh god and i remember the poster of Phillip Schofield i had on my wall when he did going live!!!!!!!! :o

Hey jules - I like your style 'wise ladies'......very kind! xD

bros where ok my mate was a brosette I was more into AHA, Wet Wet Wet and still morning the split of wham..... plus I was too tight to buy smash hits I was there taping the songs off the radio and then stop starting to write down the words

I was also a closet ABBA fan too but that was not cool to admit in the mid 80's

Im trying to think of TV I watched and I think of lots of american TV shows A-team, knight rider, kids from fame, The Fall guy, dukes of hazzard.

........oh then theres theclassics.... bagpuss, chorlton and the wheelies, Jamie and his magic torche

and not forgetting Danger mouse and trapdoor