Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Shocking News From Cumbria

What dreadful events in beautiful Cumbria! There are now 12 confirmed deaths and 25 other people hurt. What makes somone do something like this. Thoughts are with all families concerned. Unsworth

It is just dreadful isn't it? I guess we can never know what is going on in someone's head but it is so shocking to think that you can be at risk of this kind of thing as you go about your every day life.

I was very impressed with a young clergyman who was on the BBC News channel a short while ago - hopefully they will get all the practical and emotional support and love they need to get through the dark days ahead.

I also feel so sorry for those people who lost loved ones at Dunblane and also Hungerford who will no doubt have had their own very sad memories stirred by today's events.

Maz

It is indeed shocking news.....

What a completely dreadful few months the people of Cumbria have had to deal with - floods, terrible school bus crash and now today's tragic events.......

I'm sure she will be along soon........but just to reassure all who are thinking of her......I have 'spoken' to Cait this afternoon.......

Thank you Sunnyday, and thankyou for all your texts and emails today.

These are really small communities and the ripples are already moving out. There's a lot of substantiated information that the press aren't giving out - and I'm not sure why - so I won't divulge on here.

sad, sad day

Perhaps it is just that they aren't sure everyone who needs to be notified about their loved ones have been spoken to - so they'll need to be very careful what they say on air. Imagine finding out on the tv that your brother or sister had been killed? It doesn't bear thinking about.

Maz

I'm shocked having just seen the news on here and so i have been reading it on the BBC website. Truly awful. I feel so sorry for everyone affected by this terrible act, and people just out on a lovely sunny day. Why?

All our thoughts and prayers are with everyone affected. Love to you too Cait.

Perhaps it is just that they aren't sure everyone who needs to be notified about their loved ones have been spoken to - so they'll need to be very careful what they say on air. Imagine finding out on the tv that your brother or sister had been killed? It doesn't bear thinking about.

Maz

Absolutely, and I'm sure there's a lot of that in it, but not all of it. Anyway, it'll all be aired soon I expect

It's been a rough few months here - can there be anyone left in the UK who doesn't know where Cumbria is now!

It certainly has been your annis horribilis Cait - and you would like Cumbria to be on the map for entirely different reasons, I'm sure.

Take care,

Mx

Utterly lost for words, love and thoughts to everyone

I also feel so sorry for those people who lost loved ones at Dunblane and also Hungerford who will no doubt have had their own very sad memories stirred by today's events.

Maz

How true, and from the bottom of my heart thankyou I can't quite explain how much this means to me.

Don't really know what to add....I am shocked, saddened and horrified.....cant imagine how the whole community, let alone the families must be feeling.... :oxD

Hi,

I don't really know what to say but I always feel it's better to say something than nothing at all. Just wanted to say I'm thinking about all of the friends and familes of those affected by today's horrible events.

And Geraldinec and anyone else I'm sorry if today has stirred up some difficult memories from the past.

As sad as it is events like this always make you so very grateful for what you do have, and puts all of your minor moans and groans into perspective

Rapunzel

Hi,

Cait you were immediately in my thoughts and so relieved to hear that you are ok.

I can't imagine what today must have been like for all those affected; to be simply going about your normal day and for it then to be changed so dramatically must be terrifying and unimaginable for the rest of us. They and all those whose memories have been reawakened will be in my thoughts and prayers during the coming days.

Nicky Sussex

Cait,

If there is anything practical which we can help with from a distance do please let us know.

Love and prayers

Nicky Sussex

How utterly awful for everybody living in the vicinity.

I visited Cumbria with a friend, her daughter and my two children about ten years ago as my friend had relatives in Egremont and all I can say is that I have some very very fond memories of such a wonderfully welcoming community - everyone we met there so very friendly and helpful; I hope that those suffering will find comfort close to home.

My thoughts and prayers are with the entire community.

BMG

Read the news yesterday and I was in shock, so sad. Thanks for the news link. VTM just presented the news about this incident.

Cait, I can imagine how much tension this must of caused you and people you know or love. I am glad you are okay. My prayers and thoughts for those affected in Cumbria.

We are having a similar, but much smaller bad taste... Judge and clerk murdered in court

There's a lot of substantiated information that the press aren't giving out - and I'm not sure why - so I won't divulge on here.

So now they have told it, he killed his twin brother first and then their solicitor. The ripples are still moving outwards as we all hear about people we know well who are affected directly. I'm still waiting to hear from my friend who has 'gone to ground' whether one of the men who was killed was his father. Just had one text today from him, "Sad day".

I thought of you immediately Cait - I know I don't know you - it's so sad and random anyone could have been killed. Hope your friends father is ok.

Yes, Cait, read about his twin brother and the solicitor. There seems to be a rumor about a possible fight in regards to a will. Then it was colleagues and afterwards, random. What a 'coincidence' that most of those killed were in their 60's. I wonder why? Anyway, it is all very, very sad :o .