Pay Scales

Guest Spiral

Guest Spiral

Just working out the new pay scales and have got a little stuck;

Firstly, we are trying to work out a reasonable wage for

Manager

Deputy

Level 3

Also, we are wondering whether we should be paying extra to the person who does the Senco role (or just for the extra hours they do, when they do them)?

All help most appreciated as I know it is a difficult subject.

Spiral.

As from this April we are now paying

Manager - 11.16 per hour (+ an additional 2 sessions per month for admin)

Deputy = 9.80 (+ one additional session per month for admin)

L3 = 8.20

WE pay no extra for Senco etc as all staff have an extra title/job role and none really involve any extra hours. I suppose if someone was to spend a lot of time doing something then we would maybe consider it but I dont feel it is necessary.

Guest Spiral

Thank you all so much for your responses. It's only fair that I divulge our scale too;

At present we pay 9.20 for the Manager, 8.20 for the Deputy and the Level 3 staff get 7.50.

It seems to be so hard to judge what is the correct amount.

We are thinking of offering it as a salary, but I'm not sure how beneficial that is to the preschool.

Our Senco does not get extra either.

Spiral.

Guest Spiral

Hi there finleysmaid.

We don't get paid for the half terms etc, but we do get statutory holiday pay each year.

our contracts state that we will not be able to take holiday's during term time.

We have 45 children each week.

We're a sessional preschool, open 9 sessions a week with lunches every day too.

Spiral.

• 1 month later...
Guest jenpercy
I have a recently completed nvq3 18 yr old who wants the same hourly rate as long serving nvq3 staff, do you pay all your level 3's the same wage regardless off age ?

We have 2 staff roles Playworker and Senior playworker. Playworker has a scale for Level 2 (about 50p diff) and for Level 3. Senior Playworker starts at top of Playworker scale and again goes up a little. We start someone off on bottom of playworker scale, unless they are a) brilliant or :o employed as Senior Playworker from the word go (which is probably the same as a). Senior Playworkers could be seen as the deputies for the deputy, as we certainly expect a bit more committment (and nkowledge of the job from them). I have Playworkers who have worked with us for years who are still on bottom of scale.

If you want to reward length of service, you can up to 5 years. After that it wold be seen as age discrimination.

I personally find that most 18 year olds are not worth as much without experience. they think they have experience through placements, not realising how they have been cushioned by not being counted in rota.

I personally find that most 18 year olds are not worth as much without experience. they think they have experience through placements, not realising how they have been cushioned by not being counted in rota.

Quite a dangerous statement to make, I feel - a bit like saying "most boys..." or "most out of school providers..." :o it does rather depend on the 18 year old and the path they've taken.

When Mrs Weasley gained her Level 3 I paid her the same as other Level 3 practitioners - she did the same job as they did and her age didn't really come into it, I believe. All staff had the same length of service in the setting, so that didn't come into it either. I'm lucky because I can be flexible and don't have to have a 'corporate' scheme to worry about so if there is money in the pot I could choose to reward long service in future if I thought it was necessary/desirable.

Maz

I don't agree with you here at all, I've had several girls through their NVQ and as an Assessor have seem many more through their NVQ 2 and 3 who could run rings around their more senior counterparts. I don't think it's in anyone's interest to say that one age group is better than another, as everyone brings different things to childcare. If the students have been inducted, trained and supported properly there's no way that they should ever have the feeling that they have been 'cushioned' in any way.

i would take this 18 yr old over many of my longer serving staff, but main concern being is it right/fair for an 18 yr old to go straight onto same hourly rate as longer serving staff (some who have gained their hourly rate via pay rises over almost 10 years - could see this opening up a whole can of worms with them)

I work for a small chain. Our colleagues are paid (a) dependent on their level, i.e. 2 or 3, and then (:o how long it is since they gained that qualification, i.e. someone who qualified less than 2 years ago will earn a little less than someone who qualified more than 2 years ago. When a colleague reaches 2 years since they qualified then their pay goes up. Hope that makes sense. I've no idea how or why this came to be though!!

Edited by Guest

Fascinating how everyone is so different. I pay by level which I introduced 10 years ago. When I started the committee just paid one rate for an assistant and one for supervisor, but in those days lots of staff were without any formal qualifications.

I have some apprentices at present and they get £95 a week as they are under 18. Once they reach 18 I start them as unqualified, at £6 and then pay goes up a £1 per level .

All keypersons receive an hour a week extra pay to do records at home . Extra duties like SENCO and Child protection get paid extra to attend meetings and do paperwork.

All staff are on salaries so pay divided over 12 months with the statatory holiday pay built in.

Staff today asking for non- contact time in the pre-school, but I think with the SFF coming in I will be hard pushed to pay extra staff to allow for that.

• 3 weeks later...
I have a recently completed nvq3 18 yr old who wants the same hourly rate as long serving nvq3 staff, do you pay all your level 3's the same wage regardless off age ?

I am a chair of a pre school and we pay our Play Leaders at a higher rate than our play assistants. Our play Leaders all have NVQ 3 / NNEB quals. But some of our play assistants have now trained for level 3 qualifications. As we cannot pay everyone at the higher rate, we only pay them at a play leader (level 3) rate IF they are doing the level 3 job. So if they were to cover for an absent colleague as a play leader they'd be paid at leader rate; if they were working as a play assistant they would be paid at assistant rate. Some people might therefore be paid at different rates on different days.

This makes more sense to me than paying to the qualification. Once qualified, my staff can choose to look for a leader role elsewhere or remain with us as an assistant until a leader role becomes available (not often as our staff are well looked after). From time to time a newly level 3 member of staff raises this issue but this has always been our response - we pay to the job, not the qualification. Lots of people take jobs below their qualification these days (eg teachers who choose to work as TAs when their families are young).

• 2 weeks later...

Very interesting discussions! All our staff are on different rates of pay, as we feel whatever their qualification, some perform distinctly better than others - often level 2 outperforming level 3's. By this, I mean they put more effort into working with their key children, profiles, volunteer for co-ordinator roles, volunteer to attend training to take responsibility for their own learning and practice, etc. We are trying to support all staff to aim for targets to improve their practice, but otherwise wait for the minimum wage to increase before changing any rates of pay.

• 3 weeks later...

Hello

I would like to know what the nursery nurse pay scale is. I am applying for a nursery nurse position in a day nursery that is attached to an independent boarding school.

The position is full time with 35 days paid leave including statutory bank holidays. I am an NVQ Level 2, currently working towards my Level 3 CCLD.#

Thanks! Vik :o

Edited by Guest