Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Can You Choose Not To Have A Certain Inspector?

Rea

Playgroups last inspection was in 2007, so another is on the horizon. At that time the inspector phoned to say she was coming but then added 'you got a good last time, I dont think you will this time'. This was before she set foot in the place. She's also the inspector who did my SPI in 2000 and suggested we use builders sand if we couldnt get play sand.

This year we dont want her coming out to us, is it possible to ask that we have someone else, bearing in mind this is her 'patch'?

Crikey Rea! I can see why you wouldn't want her. Unless she meant she expects you to have an outstanding this time :o

To begin making the judgement before she even arrives seems rather unprofessional.

Sorry I don't know if you can ask not to have her but I just wanted to say that I would seem to be a perfectly reasonable request.

In the past we had a Chair who did manage to get the Inspector changed... long story... but this was in the days of notice being given, so we knew the name before they came... not sure if this would be possible now...

Inge

Rea, I think you can! A local childminder had issues with her Inspector and made a complaint after the event. Got judgement removed and re-inspection with a different inspector. Our LA supported her complaint and raised other issues with this Inspector, too. (she was sacked a few months later!)

At the time I was due my inspection and received a call to say it would be her :o

I wasn't keen especially as she didn't seem to have any organisational skills when dealing with me. Rang to say she was coming when I'd already phoned Ofsted to inform them I was away on holiday, followed by a week I stayed in as she was due and she never appeared. She was off sick but hadn't put anything in her diary so Ofsted never contacted me to cancel!! Her Line Manager was very apologetic and agreed to my request for a different Inspector! I had made the point that I wasn't prepared to have my organisational skills judged by someone that incompetent with her own xD

I'd give Ofsted a ring and ask the general question before you make a request.

Good Luck!

Nona

This year we dont want her coming out to us, is it possible to ask that we have someone else, bearing in mind this is her 'patch'?

Hi Rea,

We've never had the same Inspector twice and I was under the impression that this was something OFSTED try to avoid, in case the new inspection was influenced either way. Could you check?

Sue

We've never had the same Inspector twice and I was under the impression that this was something OFSTED try to avoid, in case the new inspection was influenced either way. Could you check?

That would be interesting seeing as I've had the same inspector the last three times.

Never had the same inspector twice in 15 years. When Social Services did their own inspections we did have the same one because it was her patch. When I had a query last year about wanting to have an extra child over our registered number for the summer term I was put through to the inspector who did our previous inspection in 2007 - but don't know if this was a fluke - but of course, it did make sense as she knew the layout and how we operated. I had a better rapport with her on the telephone than I did face to face!

I'm not sure you can request a different one officially, but you can certainly contact OFSTED to complain (in confidence) about her. Hopefully that would result in you getting sent a different inspector anyway even if there isn't an 'official' way to ask for different inspector.

Rea, try asking for Gerry.

He was FAB when I rang last year over concerns I had about a child. Noted everything, told me to ring back and ask for him (said he was the only Gerry there) When I did ring back a month later I was put through to him, he remembered my situation and was so supportive he made me cry :o

I told him I'd decided to give the parents notice at the end of the week, as I was getting nowhere after 16months of caring for the child and was making myself ill with stress. It was affecting me, my family and the other families I childmind for.

At the start of the next week he rang me to ask how it had gone!? Thanked me on behalf of Ofsted for all I'd tried to do to get the child the support he needed and made me cry again! xD

How's that for service and customer care!!?

Nona

We had issues with a previous inspector and shared our concerns with our LEA. As they had similar concerns themselves about inspections at other settings they agreed with me that if that inspector turned up again I would phone the LEA office and they would send an advisor to the setting - so that we would have 2 pairs of eyes looking instead of 1 pair from Mrs 'grumpy knickers' Ofsted. Fortunately that inspector didn't come round to us again - but it did make me feel better knowing I could call for support if necessary.

pw xx

I wouldnt know who to contact from our LEA! The advisory teacher has gone awol and the cITY EY advisor is pretty grumpy. And to think, I'd left all this behind once!!!

I'll make some phone calls tomorrow and I might even ask for Gerry, thanks nona :o

Good luck with it Rea. I've also found Ofsted very helpful on the phone, maybe I was speaking to Gerry as well.

This is a timely reminder that Ofsted inspectors are not super human or perfect!