Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

I'm Thrilled!

I just heard today that I have passed my maths equivalency test at the university. I was told prior to taking it that it's not easy to pass it first time, and as I have a morbid dread of maths, I was terrified of doing it.On the day, we were sited over a music class,so all the way through the first two hour paper, we had to endure someone practcing on their drums! second two hour paper, we had someone outsid ethe classroom drilling and banging as they repaired a staircase! Then, the fire alarm went off unexpectedly.....twice! I was convinced........I KNEW. I had failed, some of the questions I hadn't a clue about...and yet...............today I had the official letter to say I had PASSED it!! HOOOOOOOOOOOORAYYYYYY!! I now have the equivalent of a grade C GCSE, Hurrah for me :oxD

Edited by narnia

Even the word 'maths' has me quaking at the knee, let alone the thought of 2 two hour exams. I am soooooo in awe of your achievement! GO GIRL!!!!

Fantastic you are almost a maths genius now.....well you are in my book :o . I always hated Maths and panic when presented with a mathematical problem, so anyone who can get through a Maths test deserves a pat on the back.

Well done.

I now have the equivalent of a grade C GCSE, Hurrah for me :oxD

Hurrah for you indeed, narnia!

For those of us with a fear of maths, knowing that you've passed the equivalency is such an achievement, isn't it?

I hope you're going to celebrate in style - you deserve it!

Maz

I hated maths, I never understood maths and I'm scared of anything 'mathy' not so much scared as the figures all fly around the page and as for those things like 'a train leavesthe station at 4pm...' no chnace.

So a huge well done from me too. :oxD

I think I got grade 5 CSE!

well done Narnia... i still need to do mine... i keep putting it off due to the pressures of course work for the BA... but i need to do it by christmas.......did you teach yourself?

Congratulations Narnia! I got mine first time as well when I took it last year and was as shocked as you :o

Its amazing what comes back to you when you're under pressure isn't it? I didn't have to deal with all the disturbance you had though, so really well done!

Beehive

I hope I pass my GCSE maths in June this year! Only doing the Foundation tier papers though!

Good for you Beth - that'll get you a grade C though won't it, which is what you need!

Maz

simcity, if you intend doing it through the uni, beware that this uni is only doing one more equivalency test for maths, and it's on either 20th, or 22nd of April, then you'll have to go through a different board, which charges £132 and you have to travel, I think, to Essex to do it!! So think about booking in to do it in April.........the uni charges £25.

I am especially pleased, because at school, although I was brillaint ( though I say so myself!) at English, I was branded 'thick and stupid' where maths was concerned, though I did pass my 11+, so I must have had some maths knowledge at that point! I have been going to evening classes, and the tutor there is so wonderful and filled me with so much confidence that I just thought, 'why not give it a go.the worst that can happen is you fail and you can have one more attempt, then try the GCSE'...................so, in i went, expecting to fail, but coming out a winner for once!!

Fantastic news, well done. I am also doing my maths GCSE, as equivalency isnt offered by my provider. I have sat the first paper at the higher tier, which I was gobsmacked about as I got ungraded at school, but got a B. I attend evening classes and also use this website for revision http://www.conquermaths.com/ it has proved invaluable as it lets you start from the very basics with its grade boosters, E-D, D-C, C-B, B-A. So if Im doing something aimed at a C and I dont understand I can go back a few steps on the E-D level and revise.

Anyone worried or scared of doing maths please dont be, I dreaded it, but I can really say, I am starting to become a little fasinated by it, although Algebra and Probability will always be my WHY!!!! areas of maths.

Claire x

I was somewhat disheartened to hear so many horror stories about maths. Is this due to poor teaching in the past, a sylabus that seems to bear little relation to real life maths, or somrthing deeper? I love maths (there...I've said it and come out of the closet), and wonder what we can do within early years to ensure that we reverse this situation. Or do you believe the problem lies in later education? My little ones are naturally inquisitive and love acquiring new maths skills. Where does it all go wrong?

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)