Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Internet Explorer

Upsy Daisy

I've just found this item on the BBC news website about loopholes in the security of Internet Explorer and how these are being used to hack into people's computers. It says at one point that individuals may not be at a very high risk but those of us with children's details and photographs on our computers may want to be extra careful.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/8463516.stm

You might like have a look and see what you think.

I've changed to Google Chrome for the time being.

I heard this on the radio yesterday Upsay Daisy - I have no idea whether it is safe to use. Mind you since I use Mozilla Firefox I suppose I didn't really give it another thought!

How is Google Chrome shaping up?

Maz

How is Google Chrome shaping up?

Maz

Surprisingly well Maz!

I hate using anything new on the computer because it always takes ages to set up and usually goes wrong. Google Chrome took a couple of minutes to set up and I've got FSF and Facebook bookmarked already. In fact it's looking so good that I may not go back!

By the way I didn't really understand much about what the article was saying until I watched the little video interview with the computer expert. He put it in words of one syllable - much better :o

Thanks for flagging this up Upsy Alison Daisy! xD

This sort of thing is a worry.........I'm still reeling from the Sparklebox news - trying to tell myself - it's OK - I removed the toolbar immediately........

I use Internet Explorer - my connection is driving me 'up the wall' anyway - so a change might be good ........ just had a little play and then realised that I have no idea what I'm doing :( will maybe ask one of my daughters-in-law to take a look for me (otherwise i am very likely to 'naff it up' and end up with no internet at all :o )

(otherwise i am very likely to 'naff it up' and end up with no internet at all :o )

ooh that doesn't bear thinking about!

These scares come up from time to time and unless I have it explained in words of one syllable then it goes over my head. I rely on my technical support department to keep me abreast of developments. However he's at work today so is unavailable to comment!

Maz

I hadn't heard about this so thanks for pointing it out! I hate changing internet browsers so I may just see if a fix comes out before I change )=

This sort of thing is a worry.........I'm still reeling from the Sparklebox news - trying to tell myself - it's OK - I removed the toolbar immediately........

I thought it turned out that the toolbar was actually safe, just difficult to remove? From what I gathered LAs used the toolbar thing as an excuse before they were able to reveal the real details about why the website was blocked. Maybe that was just another rumour, but I'm pretty sure I read it somewhere reliable.

I thought it turned out that the toolbar was actually safe, just difficult to remove? From what I gathered LAs used the toolbar thing as an excuse before they were able to reveal the real details about why the website was blocked. Maybe that was just another rumour, but I'm pretty sure I read it somewhere reliable.

That's a comfort thanks for that Kariana....

Well ignore my previous post - I seem to have 'done it' - I am now using Google Chrome! xD

If you don't hear from me for a while (stop cheering - I can hear you!) then you will know that I did indeed 'naff it up' completely! :o

Cannot remember the last time I used Explorer.. in fact don't think I have ever used it on the laptop.. Have used Chrome for ages now.. would not go back... only issue is there are some sites which do not work fully with it.. Firefox is my back up browser..

It is worth trying others I like Chrome as it I find on my pc and laptop it is a lot faster than the others..

Inge

I thought it turned out that the toolbar was actually safe, just difficult to remove?

Here's a link to a discussion about the Sparklebox toolbar which obviously took place before we knew what Mr Sparklebox was doing in his free time. Steve's post towards the end of the first page of the discussion about why people are concerned with toolbars in general makes interesting reading and is why my better half told me to remove it from my laptop!

Maz

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)