Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

I Thought Booking A Table Was Simple!

Gezabel

I know we are all busy at this time of year and of course restaurants are no different. I imagine they are fairly busy with people phoning to book tables but this is a conversation I have just had

Restaurant: Good afternoon so and so restaurant how may I help?

Me: Good afternoon I would like to book a table for Thursday 10th December if possible please

R. You want to book a table then?

Me: Yes please, for Thursday 10th December

R: Ok when would you like to book it for?

Me: Thursday 10th December please

R; The 10th of december?

Me: Yes please

R That's next Thursday

Me yes, that's right.

R What time would you like the table for

Me 8pm please

R so next thursday at 8pm

me yes please

R Is it for a special occasion

Me Yes, it's my sons 30th birthday

R Ohh lovely how old is he going to be

me 30

R how many is the table for

me eight people please

R Oh quite a party then are they all children

me No, there are no children it's for 8 adults

R Oh I am sorry I thought it was your sons eighth birthday and you wanted a table for 30

me No, it's my sons 30th birthday and I would like to book a table for 8 adults.

R OK yes, that's fine now just let me check, it's a party of 8 adults celebrating your sons 30th

birthday

me Yes that's right

R No problem at all that's all done for you , a table for 8 adults at 7pm on Tuesday December

8th we look forward to seeing you then and thank you for booking a table with us.

with that she was gone! :oxD

I have since phoned again and thankfully someone else answered the phone and of course I was very tactful and said I thought there had been a misunderstanding with a booking I had just made!

All is now sorted but it's a restaurant I have never been to ( thought it is my son's all time favourite place to eat, hence the booking!) and I can't help but wonder whether they will get the food orders right - could be in for an interesting evening :(

at my father in laws 70th birthday meal last month, i made a surprise birthday cake as the restaurant wouldnt supply one, but were happy to bring it out when i nodded. at coffee they said loudly do you want the cake now then? yes they bring it out it had 70's all over it and happy birthday grandad, and 70th candles they put it down in fron t of me n say who's birthday is it anyway? there were 7 of us there 4 of us in our 30's our 11 yr old son and my mother and father in law wearing a birthday badge??

i said if he thought i looked like a 70 yr old grandad he could just leave now! made us laugh.

Update!

I would love to post and say all went well on Thursday night, that we had a lovely meal and a great evening but alas I would be lying :(

The whole evening was an utter disaster :( Well the only good bit was that my son was stunned/delighted/over the moon with his present) as for the meal - a quickly grabbed takeaway would probably have been better but the worst part really was that my eldest son was ill and though he dragged himself to liverpool street found the trains were up the creek (again!) with a minimum of an hour and half delay :(

As for the restaurant they had the booking alright for b******y Wednesday night :oxD

Due to location of restaurant and all of us working we had arrived in 3 cars and ended up driving in conv0y to a restaurant in our home town (after a hasty phone call) sadly by this time it was a table for 6 instead of 8 as son and girlfriend were still at liverpool street with no hope of arriving at any sort of decent time bearing in mind they had to go back to london that night!

By the time we got there we were all starving and though the food was good the service was rather slow. Birthday boy couldn't decide whether to have deep fried camembert or pate for his starter so had both - the waitress was totally bemused by that.

It was an OK night but just not the same with vital family members missing but now we have high hopes for tomorrow!!! My other half has his birthday on December 17th but policeman son is 'on shift' and can't change so the boys have decided we will have a family celebration tomorrow. We have been meaning to replace our TV for a while for a nice fancy flat screen affair. There is now a snazzy one wrapped and kindly being hidden by our neighbours the result of the boys deciding yesterday to buy him an extra special present (not sure why!)

I am doing a nice sunday roast but what my other half doesn't know is that my eldest son and his girlfriend are coming and one of the others will collect them from the station. Other half was particularly disappointed that it all went pear shaped on Thursday night.

Fingers crossed that the trains run tomorrow and we have a better day

Edited by Geraldine

Oh What a shame. I'm sure it seems worse to you that to your sons because you feel responsible for organising it. I'm certain that the present and the company were far more important than the meal.

Well I hope you have a lovely day tomorrow. You have such a close and caring family that I'm sure you'll have a fab day and your other half will be overwhelmed.

Have a wonderful celebration xx

So sorry it all went pear-shaped Geraldine. At least it will be memorable :oxD

I hope you have a super time with this next party, and as to cooking going either way, who will care? My sons still rib me about my cooking and the fact that I burn everything.. ( not true actually, well not everything :( ) These things become part of family myths don't they and part of memories we enjoy? I know from your other threads that you are quite a special Mum, and I bet your family are just happy to be together for these occasions. Have a great weekend. :(