Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Clothing - Expensive Footwear!

Hi

We have a child in our setting who insists in wearing Ugg Boots to Pre-School, on Friday Mum asked me to guard the boots with my life!!

Does anyone else have this in their setting? And am I right in assuming that this really isn't my responsibilitie!

I do state on every monthly newletter that children should attend in sensible clothing/footwear. Just want to make sure I can't get sued for a pair of Ugg Boots!!

Thanks

Kristina

I think perhaps you should give them straight back to her in her hand and ask her to bring some wellies and 'we'll put some on her today' :o

We once had a child turn up in a pretty white fairy dress with instructions to keep her clean as she was going on to a party and I took Mum straight into the back room and handed her the bag of changing clothes and said "You'd best change her out of it straight away, we're planting spuds today" and just let her get on with it. It didn't happen again.

Perhaps on your newsletter you could add "We cannot be held responsible for clothing or footwear which is damaged in general daily play"

I agree Cait, we should not be held responsible for what children wear above the normal - i.e. wear an apron during painting etc.

I have a few pairs of wellies handy just in case, and a few clothes for changing into - just in case, but if parents insist on children wearing Osh Kosh and all the rest, well it is them that take the risk not us and I make this quite clear in policies etc.

I had this the other day, did large painting on the floor, children loved it and got in a mess, and they had sooooo much fun!!! Horrified parents as the paint was black but oh well its pre school ,and they will get in a mess, we are a very messy setting, but the children really love it, i always advise old clothes so they can get really messy in and parents wont freak out!

Luckily we DO have some sensible parents who say in a loud voice at pick up time "Wow! look at you! You must have had a fabulous time today!" and to me "If she's not filthy then I worry she's not had fun"

Luckily we DO have some sensible parents who say in a loud voice at pick up time "Wow! look at you! You must have had a fabulous time today!" and to me "If she's not filthy then I worry she's not had fun"

What a great attitude!

I had a mum like that.. her daughter was a dirt magnet... and she often wore white, or smart/ new clothes.. and mum always said if she came home clean she would be more likely to ask why than the mud her lovely white coat was covered in! just love mums like that..

as to what to say, we had a disclaimer put on the noticeboard, and part of out parents agreement which they all signed before a child could start. If parents said something about keeping clean etc we used to say we had a supply of old items she could change her child into, as we could not be held responsible..

we did have some days we were careful and planned accordingly like parties amd photo days, but otherwise parents tended to be very good...

did work in one setting though where a mum brought in a bag of washing for the leader as the child had playdough on it! no Idea what she did but she was the kind of person who would have done it for a quiet life..

That poor child then had to spend every session in a full coverall to prevent it again! and all childrne had to wear full coveralls for playdough!

Inge

Hmm, a parent once demanded I replace their child's sweatshirt once as she'd got whiteboard marker on it. I did it, as you say, anything for a quiet life. With people as petty as this there's really no point trying to get your point across. But the next time she tried it I gave her the first one back, that I'd washed and the pen mark was gone. I told her, and she didn't try it again, and paid me for the second top.

In our Parents' Information pack we ask that children wear suitable clothing for the pre-school environment and that footwear is limited to plimsolls with the velcro fastening or soft shoes - no trainers, heels or boots because of H & S! It is still amazing how many parents send their little ones in up to the minute fashion though but at least so far they have never complained of clothes getting dirty.

I think I would agree with the 'sorry they are not appropriate - please change them.....'

We usually say to new parents that aprons, etc. are made available to children but we don't insist on them as it is far more important that the children have fun and are allowed to participate, rather than worry about their clothes.

Those standard stories about how you wouldn't want your child to be the only one to stay inside when everyone else was out because they weren't allowed to get dirty (even if it wouldn't happen!) ..... and the new child who spent an hour watching and gaining to confidence to try the painting table only to be put off when staff tried to get an apron on her.... often help to get the point across.

We also 'sell' our uniforms on the basis that it doesn't matter how dirty they get or whether the paint comes out when it's only worn for pre-school.

Luckily we've not had to deal with this but I think I would stand my ground, we make it quite clear in our documentation that the children should wear appropriate clothing and footwear. If a parent did complain I think I would smile and say 'did you want me to tell her/him that they couldn't join in with all their friends then?' There's not really a sensible answer ....

Good luck!!

:oxD:(

Mine too Sue

But Ugg Boots for pre-school, I need to find another job I wouldn't pay that much for a pair of boots for school for myself or a child!!!! today my old butterfly wellies did the trick and the children loved my butterfly slippers for indoors!!! although a few parents questioned why they were 'white' SIMPLES they were in the sale and I loved the butterflies bargin £1.50 my feet were comfy and warm!!!

The children also loved my growing collection of wellies for them to use when suilly Mummy forgets theirs 'No stopping our children'

I have a set of twins who wear Ugg boots to our sessions.............................and they got PLASTERED in mud when we went for a lovely, sticky,'wet walk' last week. I was dreading granny coming to pick them up, so i popped them ( the boots, not the twins!) under a tap and swished everything off, so when granny came back, i told her why they were wet and she just said not to worry, the girls are here to have fun, not worry about the dirt!.......how refreshing ...... :o

phew narnia thought you swished the twins then :o

we had a great time at forest school today and only wellies would do even they were filled with mud

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)