Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Here's A Thing ......

I had a phonecall from a Social Worker about a child in Preschool, the upshot of which was that the child's grandparents have applied for a residency order to keep him safe and away from his mother (bad issues, which I won't upset you with). Anyway, they have to apply for this residencey order, which they'll get, no worries, but it will cost them £50!

Now, is is just me, or is that outrageous!? what price a child's safety? What if they can't afford £50 - they can't afford preschool fees and we let them have a greatly reduced rate as he's safer with us than at home. What happens to him then?

Surely the safety of the child is paramount - what's the £50 for? Why do they have to pay!!! I'm absolutely furious about this and the children would say "You have steam coming out of your ears, Mrs .."

I'm strongly considering paying it for them - or at least offering them it!

while it sounds unreasonable , i do wonder if this is to do with the grandparents applying for the residency and not social services starting it or insisting on it.. could be something to do with contribution to court costs?

not sure as ll the ones we had social services did the relocating of child with grandparents , been to several case meetings where this was the outcome..

Inge

while it sounds unreasonable , i do wonder if this is to do with the grandparents applying for the residency and not social services starting it or insisting on it.. could be something to do with contribution to court costs?

I agree Inge - that may well account for the cost being incurred. If Social Services were making this order for the safety and protection for the child and expecting the grandparents to pay then I'd agree it is outrageous. However it is difficult to comment on individual cases when you don't know the circumstances.

Maz

Cait - I am in complete agreement with you........further to that if you are having a 'whip round' I'm happy to contribute - no sorry that is being flippant about a serious issue.........

I hope that this 'fee' can be waived for those in 'reduced circumstances'?

Hope that things improve for this little chap - it's a harsh world for some children - very sad.

A small price for a child's safety and wellbeing but a lot of money to those in financial need.

I, too, will contribute if you decide to go that route, Cait!

Nona

That's just awful! What happens if the Grandparents can't pay?! It's emotional blackmail!!!!! Count me in on the contributions too - don't you just wonder sometimes what kind of a world we live in..........

It's all a bit of a technical process.

If social services have issued care proceedings in the local court the grandparents may become a party to the social services application in which case there could be no fee involved.

However, for the local authority to issue care proceedings it incurs a cost of around £600 -hence they intend to avoid it where possible - it is a long, involved (and expensive) set of legal proceedings and many other parties can be involved.

It may be that social services have not got sufficient grounds to issue proceedings but at the same time are supporting the grandparents decision to apply for a residence order. Grandparents can apply to the court themselves for the residence order and may well be entitled to legal aid in which case they will either be exempt from the fee or it will be paid by the legal aid board. The standard fee for a residence order is normally £175 so not quite sure where the figure of £50 comes from :o unless perhaps the grandparents are applying for a consent order (the fee for which is £50) but I am not sure the court can grant consent without submission of a full formal application using forms C1 and C2.

Having said all that I totally support all the comments about 'what price a child's life' and agree it's outrageous but sadly legal proceedings for whatever reason come hand in hand with cost xD:(

Just editing to say that it is possible for the grandparents to ask social services to fund the application.

I guess all social services departments vary on what they will/won't, can/can't do - I can't obviously go into any details of individual cases I am currently aware of ( where is the crying face when I need one!) but do know of a social services department that put a child in a place of safety amongst family as a temporary measure and due to the fianancial situation social services literally funded petrol costs to enable the child to continue attending its regular setting. Not the same situation I know but just an illustration of how help can be given with costs

Edited by Geraldine

Hi,

Just wanted to add my hug to everyone elses and also to send you a hug at what must be a difficult and challenging time for you. Take care of yourself as well and I ams ure you willb e doing your best to support the child and his grandparents. They are very lucky to have such a caring adult to support them.

Nicky Sussex :oxD