Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

All Change

Todays news from CYPN tells of shadow education Ministers plans to end the EYFS should the Conservatives come into power.

HERE

If this should happen, What will you think?

1/ I'll still carry on as I am anyway

2/ Heave a sigh of relief

3/ Think, Oh no, what next?

4/ Bring back Letterland :o

or something else?

Answers on a postcard to The Conservatives, address unknown but maybe soon at No 10 Downing Street.

Peggy

Oh dear........ I do wonder, i personally really like the EYFS.... it would be sad to see it go. But then again isn't this how it works... we all get used to one system then someone changes it.....

Dawn

Whatever system of regulation is in place will work better for some providers than for others.

I can't imagine the Tories just saying "Ok folks. Scrap EYFS and just do whatever you think works for you." They'll just bring in a new system which has it's own faults and causes a new set of difficulties for providers.

If they were to propose a comprehensive review of the EYFS involving large numbers of hands-on providers (especially including childminders) I would say great. At least any changes would be based on a system we already have in place and which has been thoroughly evaluated by the people best placed to make judgements provide feedback i.e. the practitioners using it.

I guess they think it's a vote winner because of all the negative publicity about targets for babies.

:(:( :wacko: That's me rolling about laughing!!! :unsure:

Of course they will change it all ........ call me cynical :o but it would all change in a couple of years anyway! They just can't help it - a lot of 'job justifying' in my humble opinion! :(

Right, now I have stopped being hysterical - I need to go back to Peggy's post and actually read their proposals!!! :rolleyes:

I do wish they would all STOP IT - difficult when you worked in Early Years for a long time - I find that I remember 'things' from years back but forget some of the latest rules and regs. xD

The very worst thing that Labour did when they came to power was to stop vouchers and introduce direct funding - I found the voucher system sooooo easy as did parents........

Sorry I do go on don't I (I can hear you all saying yes you know!)!!! xD

Peggy - what's CYPN ? My laptop won't let me open the link and not being computer literate (other than shopping of course !) I have no idea how to sort it but am itching to know what it says. Can you give me a www address to go to?? Thanks if so !

On the genereal subject of change - or should that be constant change - is there anyone else out there who remembers the world of education pre-National Curriculum??? I don't think there has been a period of more than a few months in all that time that they haven't had a tinker or a tweak with some bit of the system - like Sunnyday I have lost track of how many documents, initiatives , reorganisations and re-brandings there have been and they're all starting to blur frankly!! I'm now working on the principle that if I hang around long enough they'll all start to come round again and I'l be able to pretend that I'm incredibly intelligent and understand it all in a flash, when actually my small brain has been wrestling with it for the last 20 years or so:) Don't think it will ever stop tho - it's kind of 'political re-decorating' isn't it? Only they get to do the fun bits like choose the paint and the fancy wallpaper - we get to spend months scraping off the woodchip and painting over our favourite shade of duck egg blue , or whatever it might be with something we don't know we want to live with........... Gosh I sound completely loopy - maybe this is what happens when you have been re - initivisatified too many times !!!

Peggy - what's CYPN ?

Children & Young People Now

Conservative conference: Tories would get rid of early years curriculum

By Lauren Higgs

Children & Young People Now

5 October 2009

The shadow schools minister has slammed the Early Years Foundation Stage (EYFS), describing it as a "bureaucratic nightmare".

Speaking at a fringe event at the Conservative party conference, Nick Gibb branded the EYFS "typical of the bureaucratic approach to education that we oppose".

"We've got to get rid of that kind of approach to education," he said.

He claimed the system was based on a "ludicrous" tick-box mentality, and on the assumption that "before EYFS, nursery school teachers or reception school teachers didn't know about the development of every child in the class".

He warned: "We've got to trust professionals to do the jobs that they do well, not have all these forms."

Now if they said they were planning to ditch Ofsted rather than the EYFS, I might even be tempted to vote for them slimy leader and all :o

Can't say that I am surprised at all that the Tories would want to tinker/ scrap/ reinvent the wheel when it comes to the EYFS, because it is just a a paper filling exercise for them. Would have fallen down in shock however, if they had said that they wanted to adrees the really important issue in childcare, which as providers, we all know is funding!!

Trust a politician to miss the important issue, and fanny around at the sidelines!

Now if they said they were planning to ditch Ofsted rather than the EYFS, I might even be tempted to vote for them slimy leader and all :o

There's a thought - I would be at the Polling Sation before it opened!!! xD:(:(

Interestingly (or maybe not!)........I am Hon. Sec. for our Village Hall - I had a letter from our Local Council's Returning Officer a couple of weeks ago......the main gist was ....... I had to guarantee that the Hall could be used (as usual) as our village Polling Station with just 17 days notice - anytime between now and June.......hmmm....made me think......are the 'powers that be' expecting a 'snap' election to be called.....

It just confirms that childcare and education like all the other big issues is just a football to be kicked around with no real thought - that way they can avoid the real issue which is always money.

Politicians whatever their colour obviously they need to save as much as possible for all those totally justified expenses claims!!!!! :o

Great replies everyone :o Some show the exasperation of it all, and others made me laugh out loud. xD

Thanks Marion for;

1/ actually answering my questions, and

2/ giving the gist of the conference message. :(

any more thoughts, anyone?

Peggy

Bring back Letterland!! xD

PLEASE, NOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!

I "taught" my daughter the alphabet phonetically before she started Nursery as she was so keen.

Nursery then taught her Letterland, and Reception taught her..............

Phonics :(

By which time we were both confused :o

Nona

Interestingly (or maybe not!)........I am Hon. Sec. for our Village Hall - I had a letter from our Local Council's Returning Officer a couple of weeks ago......the main gist was ....... I had to guarantee that the Hall could be used (as usual) as our village Polling Station with just 17 days notice - anytime between now and June.......hmmm....made me think......are the 'powers that be' expecting a 'snap' election to be called.....

Funny you should say that, my friend works for a council and they are recruiting people to count the votes for either November or May...

As for what I would do, I started teaching just after the present government were elected and so am expecting 'change' again!

I would be at the polling station like a shot if they were to ditch OFSTED - am waiting for the call anyday!!

Edited by Guest

My response would be number 3!

Whatever they decide upon, please can they make sure that they provide training courses for all headteachers so that the FS teachers don't have to continually explain to them what it is we're trying to do! OK that may just be my experience but it would be great if the leadership team knew what was going on in FS and supported us rather than me always trying to explain it to them and justifying my every move! :o

I would be annoyed if they scrapped it completely as each new initiative costs so much money which could be used else where for more benefit. I do feel that it would benefit from a slight review and as others have said gathering opinion from people who actually work with it. I also think the reviewing the FSP would be beneficial.

Funny you should say that, my friend works for a council and they are recruiting people to count the votes for either November or May...

Ohhh....the plot thickens :oxD

Have to say this is the first time the Returning Officer has made such a request......

I think between this and the single funding formula Peggy's question will not be applicable for me because I will have sailed off into the sunset by then.

Maz

My answer would be 1. As many others said when the EYFS was introduced, good practice is good practice whatever you call it.

Basically the reason behind the Tories vision is cost cutting. If you read another thread not so long ago on here, they don't seem to know who is responsible for Early Years let alone have any original thoughts on the issue. BTW, I am not a labour supporter although I do think they have tried to promote the value and importance of Early Years.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)