Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

How To Make Bread

Rea

I saw a recipie on TV at the weekend and thought I'd give it a go, but I cant remember the programme so I've been looking online and am more confused now.

Some recipies use milk and water, some just water, some say rest the dough in the fridge others at room temperature. I've got 2 Jamie Oliver books and neither of them have a bread recipie. I just want to try something very simple so any help will be gratefuly received. :o

Oh Rea - I'm ashamed to say the last time I made bread was ......wait for it.......Domestic Science lesson at school! xD

I do know that Cait makes her own bread (think she knits her own yoghurt too! :o ) so maybe she'll pop in with some good advice later!

Yum - homemade bread - lovely!

Sunnyday

I saw a recipie on TV at the weekend and thought I'd give it a go, but I cant remember the programme so I've been looking online and am more confused now.

Some recipies use milk and water, some just water, some say rest the dough in the fridge others at room temperature. I've got 2 Jamie Oliver books and neither of them have a bread recipie. I just want to try something very simple so any help will be gratefuly received. :o

Yes, Sunnyday is right, I come from a long line of breadmakers!

Bread ideally should be rested twice, but if you use fast acting yeast then just the one rise is possible.

You need to remember that it must have some sugar in to feed the yeast and salt in to slow the action of the yeast down or you end up with an over-risen tasteless lump!

The bread will last longer without milk, but if that's not an issue you can use half milk and water, and it should feel just warm when you dip your finger in. Kneading and stretching is very important as it activates the gluten in the flour so don't try to economise on the kneading - your arms should really ache! A MINIMUM of 5 minutes and preferably longer. Fold the dough in half and push at the centre with both hands, quarter turn, fold and push again, keep going like this until it's lovely and stretchy. Put it back into the lightly floured bowl and leave it to rise in a warm place, covered with a damp teatowel, by a radiator or in the warm cupboard above the oven if your cooker has one. 45 minutes or so - it should double in size. Tip it out, knead again for a few minutes then cut into the pieces you want, knead these a little bit to get a good shape. You can make sausage shapes and plait them, or spirals or whatever you like. Cover with damp teatowel again and leave to rise again until it's the size you want then bake in hot oven and enjoy the smell!

I always used to crush a vitamin C tablet into the dry ingredients as it helps the rise and texture.

Of course nowadays, my breadmaking is nothing like this - gluten-free bread mixing is like making buns!

Ahh Cait perhaps you could advise me-

I struggle with a 'warm' 'place!

My boiler is very efficient so the airing cupboard doesn't get warm. I don't have a cupboard above my oven and at this time of year the radiators aren't on.

Is there an oven temperature that works?

ppp

Could it have been the Gastronomy Economy programme Rea? You should be able to find it in the BBC recipes. Also I do believe that Jamie Oliver does a really easy one, where the ratio of ingredients is "1" of almost everything.

I use Caits method.. works well.. or the recipe on the bag of flour!

I always add vit. C

warm place need not be that warm just takes longer, I have used the fridge overnight for rolls and it rose beautifully..

on a warm radiator is good.. ... or short bursts in a microwave to start it off- don't ask how long I just gave short bursts ... used this one at work when making bread... really fast rising!

make sure you put enough salt in it.. don't underestimate the amount needed.. it really is yuk with too little or without it!

Inge

Oh dear I'm afraid I cheat as well Hali and use a breadmaker, and bake almost every day. It makes fantastic pizza dough as well. I don't add salt as I need to keep my blood pressure down, which is why I started baking my own, to cut out as much added salt as possible. The bread tastes wonderful but I do make it with wholegrain flour half and half with Granary.

Who needs Jamie Oliver or James Martin when you've got the FSF team. thanks all, especially cait, very comprehensive. I'll be buying my stuff tomorrow.

And yes it was the gastronomy economy programme, i'd forgotten. :o