Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Pva Pots

Hello all,

I am wondering if there is such a thing as something to hold small amounts of PVA in with a brush lid?

I shudder at the thought of having PVA out all the time but know it has to be done but would like as little spillage as possible.

Would be good to hear what you use for this sort of thing.

ppp

(yes I could use small pots and brushes but a pot with a brush in the lid would limit the amount of times I have to wash up a PVA pot as it's all contained together)

Childsplay (? wilko's) used to do a pot of glue with a brush in the lid PPP

I don't know if they were expensive though?

HTH

Vicky

Copydex do one too but its £4.29 per pot.

Could you make your own by using old/cheap paint brushes glued with a heat gun into something like a vitamin pot?

I was thinking of empty ones. But once bought and used I guess they can be refilled.

Vitamin pots are a good idea!

Thanks

Edited by Guest

We tend to use coffee jar lids and put a small amount of pva in them - we don't wash them up - we throw them away. We also put it into small squeezy bottles with nozzles so that the children just squeeze it onto whatever they want to stick. We have a lot of nozzles and so we just change the nozzles each morning and wash up the gungy ones, or if they are past it throw them away.

We use washing up liquid bottles too, with spreaders. You can make disposable shredders using that plastic webbing stuff that comes round parcels. that's great for weaving too!

I was thinking copydex too and its expensive

I have used the non spill paint pots with old paint brushes and these work fine, every so often put the brushes in boiling water to get the build up of glue off the bristles.

most of the time we use lidded pots (old cod liver oil/E45 cream, thouroughly cleaned before use obviously) put a little glue in the bottom and put the lid on at the end of session they are just big enoughs pace to leave the glue spreaders in the pot between uses and wide enough for two or three spreaders so several children can share one pot.

we also use coffee lids and also keep a large squeezy ketchup bottle with PVA available to top up the pots with small amount as needed

We have started to use cellulose paste rather than PVA for free access glue as it is much cheaper. It also seems to be easier to clean up too.

Oooh nozzles- like those cafe ketchup bottles?

Hi :PlayPlayPlay, actually they are the type of bottle you get in hair dye boxes - so they are quite a small bottle quite easy to squeeze as the plastic isn't too stiff and they have quite a long nozzle - sometimes I widen these nozzles by using a hot skewer down them for a few moments, the plastic melts a little and widens the end of the nozzle. You can put a match stick down the hole at the end of the morning to prevent any drying out of the glue, but generally we don't bother much now. As i say, we just put a clean nozzle on and clean up the old one ready to go next time.

Filling the bottles can be a bit of a pain - you can use a funnel, but these days we are just so practiced we can pour from a 5 ltr tub of glue into the bottles - only occasionally spilling it all over the kitchen worktop!! :o

The children are very proficient using them, and we make some great art work with swirls and cross hatching the glue and then sprinkling with coloured sands, glitter etc. xD

We always just put the glue in small pots, then cover with clingfilm overnight. If the glue started to seem a bit gloopy I would thin it out with a little water. Either that or pour it back into the original container providing it wasn't full of glitter! :o

I always used to dilute my PVA to make it go further, unless I needed ful strength which wasn't that often.

Its also worth remembering that you can go glue free ow and then and just let children make arrangements, it takes a while for them to get used to this if they never do it, but you sometimes find children go there that wouldn't otherwise because theres no permanence to what they do.

Oh yes!! we have a big focus on placing and arranging materials in our schools and it is brilliant. Lots of the settings will have a specif P+A area with all the resources permanently available. Not only does it develop lots of thinking skills but sorting and categorisation, exploring materials and lots and lots of language. I love it!!!

Cx

Think I may be too late.......

We use the plastic containers (with lids) that you get with 'Chinese takeaways' - parents and staff collect them.......

So just brushes to wash.

Used to be able to buy 5 litre containers of what we call 'thin' glue - (paste) haven't seen any for ages.......

The 'put and arrange' happens on our 'light station'!

Sunnyday

Many many many years ago...

We had some brilliant PVA dispensers. When the school closed it was one of things that was thrown away as old fashion :o . Hard to discribe but they worked like a bird seed feeder/pet fresh water dispenser. You up-turned filled the reservior with PVA when you turned it over there was a small dish at the bottom.You dipped in the glue and as it was used it was replaced (does that make sense?) There was a plastic cone that fitted over the dish when not in use to prevent drying up. A constant limited supply of glue.

revised this post 3 times but I found the product!!!!

glue dispenser

Edited by Guest

This is the order page for the dispensers-not cheap I'm afraid. :o They are a book binding company so its possible there are cheaper suppliers if you search. We had 2 for a reception class and found that enough as more than one child can use each one. I don't like using brushes for PVA. I prefer white plastic glue speaders and the broad spreaders.Like most things it probably a good idea to use a variety of containers as theres learning potential in different applicatuons. I've oders some plastic noozled bottle too because I can see a use for them.

Web page for PVA dispensers

These are my 'glue rules'

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)