Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Nanny Definitely - Grandma Not Me

blondie

hi - am now able to tell everyone that my daughter is expecting a baby in february (our first grandchild ) - we have known for a while but she wanted all kept quiet unitl she had had her twleve week scan to check all was ok - shes had that now and everything is fine - she even gave us a scan photo of the baby - its all so clear can even see the baby is sticking out its tongue !!

all very exciting xx

Same here, Blondie, my daughter's baby due in October. But I have no idea what I want to be called, as neither granny nor nanny feel terribly comfy. Mu mum always insisted on being mama so maybe Ill continue that tradition.

Or follow the Afrikan tradition fro which my name comes: grandparents being bo kuku!!

Hmm if the cap fits..

Hmm if the cap fits..

Will you be 'bo' for short though mundia? If you ever saw the film 10 you'll know what Bo didn't wear a cap: her hair was braided with shells on the end!

Maz

What lovely news - congratulations.........I am 'nana' to my grandchildren ....that was my choice......and it was fine with the other grandparents too. Enjoy - grandchildren are the best 'invention' ever...have had all three of mine with me today - they are a constant delight! :o

Congratulations!!!

As for what to be called, my friend calls herself Omy which is German for Grandma (I apologise for the spelling!) and my sister, who is called Carol calls herslef Nanna Caz

Dont know what I would have!

I like nana too - best spoken with Denise Royle's accent though! :o

Maz

Oh no - I can actually hear her saying it now!

Congratulations Blondie - all the cuddles and treats and none of the sleepless nights? Or maybe just a few.

Whatever you do, enjoy!

Congratulations!!!

My children have created their own names. All 5 grandparents wanted to be Grandma/Grandad with their first name. My Grandparents used the surfix with their surnames. I think its a generation thing. Grandma Joan became 'Grandma Bone' and now its just Bone and my dad is Grandad (Ken) Rosie because he....grows roses!!!.Grandad Norman is known as 'Storming' as there was once a goat at a farm we visited called Storming Norman which the children thought was hysterical. My mum still has the formal name usually followed by a goan :o . Bone, Rosie and Storming are really very personal to us and that makes them brill names.

My Auntie who has no children is Grantie as my children are the nearest she will be to a grandparent and she's their Great Aunt and she didn't like that...can't think why!

I'm nana to all of my grandchildren......................a tradition really, as my late mum was 'nana' to her grandchildren. I'm Lally to my nephew and niece...as my nephew couldn't pronounce my actual name and could only say lal......until it became Lally...and they both still call me that, even though they are both in their 30's!

Guest MaryEMac

Congratulations Blondie. I'm a nana and I love being called it especially by my son's stepson. When we first met him he was 3 and called us by our christian names. When they got engaged he said that he would call us nana and grandad when they got married. On the day that they were married, he called my husband 'grandad' but I was still Mary. When his sister began to talk she called me nana and then one day he did too. I was thrilled, he is now 9 and almost as tall as me (I'm 5 feet and a half inch) and I never get tired of him calling out nana. :o

Mary

When his sister began to talk she called me nana and then one day he did too. I was thrilled, he is now 9 and almost as tall as me (I'm 5 feet and a half inch) and I never get tired of him calling out nana. :o

That is so lovely Mary - you sound such a lovely nana!

Maz